Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Aemilius
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am
Which number is larger than 1003 and less than 1005: 6

Re: Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Postby Aemilius » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:36 am

I hope you are right, and we can easily turn the majority or whole of humanity to vegatarian diet through education, advertising etc...
svaha

Malcolm
Posts: 12736
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 am
Which number is larger than 1003 and less than 1005: 6

Re: Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Aemilius wrote:I hope you are right, and we can easily turn the majority or whole of humanity to vegatarian diet through education, advertising etc...


It will never happen. We live in the Kali Yuga. Things will not get better, so it is foolish to hope they will.
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

Aemilius
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am
Which number is larger than 1003 and less than 1005: 6

Re: Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Postby Aemilius » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Namdrol wrote:
Aemilius wrote:I hope you are right, and we can easily turn the majority or whole of humanity to vegatarian diet through education, advertising etc...


It will never happen. We live in the Kali Yuga. Things will not get better, so it is foolish to hope they will.


That is fatalistic. Why then do we make aspiration prayers, like The Aspiration of Samantabhadra, and the thousand other wishing prayers that we have in modern Buddhism, especially in Tantra and Mahayana schools??
What causes the ending of Kaliyuga?
svaha

kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 4612
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm
Which number is larger than 1003 and less than 1005: 6
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Postby kirtu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Aemilius wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Aemilius wrote:I hope you are right, and we can easily turn the majority or whole of humanity to vegatarian diet through education, advertising etc...


It will never happen. We live in the Kali Yuga. Things will not get better, so it is foolish to hope they will.


That is fatalistic. Why then do we make aspiration prayers, like The Aspiration of Samantabhadra, and the thousand other wishing prayers that we have in modern Buddhism, especially in Tantra and Mahayana schools??
What causes the ending of Kaliyuga?


We primarily make these aspiration prayers to accumulate merit and to train our minds.

There are other interpretations of the Kaliyuga but all of them agree that overall things will be worse. Gelek Rinpoche has said that he thought that the Kaliyuga would progress in waves with some improvement over short periods of time but with the overall tend being negative.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Aemilius
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am
Which number is larger than 1003 and less than 1005: 6

Re: Prayer to protect the earth by one of the Dudjom Tulkus

Postby Aemilius » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:36 am

kirtu wrote:
We primarily make these aspiration prayers to accumulate merit and to train our minds.

There are other interpretations of the Kaliyuga but all of them agree that overall things will be worse. Gelek Rinpoche has said that he thought that the Kaliyuga would progress in waves with some improvement over short periods of time but with the overall tend being negative.

Kirt

If I right remember there are four down ward going yugas followed by four upward going yugas, they each have a name, this sequence repeats itself within each kalpa,... so the over all trend goes like a wave, and there is a bigger wave that consists of four different kalpas, the four plus four yugas occur within each kalpa.
We must be near the beginning of the cycle of kalpas, because only four buddhas have appeared of the 1000 buddhas that are to come during this great kalpa.
http://www.buddhistdoor.com/oldweb/bdoor/archive/nutshell/teach36.htm
svaha


Return to “Nyingma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kunzang8 and 12 guests