Right Aromatherapy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: Right Aromatherapy

Postby Ben » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:49 am

Just like loud obnoxious noises make it difficult to become absorbed in meditation I think powerful stench would do the same. Just like the sound of trees blowing in the wind, a bubbling stream or the ocean make it easier to become absorbed in meditation I think soft and pleasant smells like pine trees, moss, or ocean mist help in a similar manner. This all applies to absorption or "samata" not necessarily insight where the smell of rotting flesh might have a positive effect at the right time.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 am

I'm not so sure Gabe.
I acknowledge that the phrase Noise is a thorn to Jhana appears in the commentaries (and perhaps even in the suttas), I have not yet seen any reference to odours and smells on meditative practice within the ancient literature. If it did have a deliterious or positive effect, then I am sure, like noise, it would have been mentioned.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 am

Last edited by Annapurna on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Guy

Postby Guy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 am

It's sooo hot in Perth today so I crave icecream, pretty sure my body doesn't need it though.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 am

You probably benefit more from lukewarm peppermint tea, as it is used by the desert nomads in North Afrika. Peppermint is a slightly cooling aroma.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am

hi Annabel
when I trained in body therapy, there was a product specially for people with weight problems with peppermint oil in.
it tricked the area it was applied to into thinking it was cold and a shiver reaction happened which aided in burning fat (so to speak), it was a fabrication of the senses, not an actual cooling.

hi Gabe,
I know someone who finds the sound of flowing water, a babbling brook or waterfall very stressful since they nearly drowned, it would seam that sounds are only relaxing or conductive if you provide that worth to the sound.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Menthol is experienced as 'cool'....yep...

Peppermint oil is also quite effective for headaches, when applied to the temples...

That is years old snow though...

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 pm

My money says there is a Tibetan Buddhist somewhere who has an answer to your question.

Now whether you accept that answer would be up to you. :)

-M

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:28 pm

Last edited by Annapurna on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 am

Yes that makes sense Manapa,

Caution and regularly reassessing practice is defiantly crucial in my view. Still I think we are well served by understanding how we can make our path smoother, at least to begin with.

Metta

Gabe

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:54 am

or start as you wish to carry on.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey, Manapa, you not talking to me anymore? I asked you something.

Sorry if I annoyed you, then don't reply.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”