What brought you to the Dharma?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

What brought you to the Dharma?

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 am

What were the things that led you to the Dharma? Was it a book or a movie? A personal encounter? How old were you when you found yourself interested in Buddhism, and how many years has it been since?
I sure am nosy!
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: What brought you to the Dharma?

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:What were the things that led you to the Dharma? Was it a book or a movie? A personal encounter? How old were you when you found yourself interested in Buddhism, and how many years has it been since?
I sure am nosy!

My good fortune and nothing else.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 am

a song
Last edited by ronnewmexico on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby kalden yungdrung » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:18 am

PadmaVonSamba wrote:What were the things that led you to the Dharma? Was it a book or a movie? A personal encounter? How old were you when you found yourself interested in Buddhism, and how many years has it been since?
I sure am nosy!

Tashi delek,

My previous karma.

Look what (how you look like) you are doing now
That stems from your previous live(s)
Look what you are doing at the very moment
That will be your next live / body(ies)

Best wishes for our individual practice
KY
THOUGH A MAN BE LEARNED
IF HE DOES NOT APPLY HIS KNOWLEDGE
HE RESEMBLES THE BLIND MAN
WHO WITH A LAMP IN THE HAND CANNOT SEE THE ROAD
kalden yungdrung

Postby gnegirl » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Its the solution to a problem that was really bugging me is the easiest way to put it.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
gnegirl

Postby KeithBC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 am

My karma, of course.

But the way that karma played out was through my fascination with the 1960s. (See my avatar! :) )I was in a bookstore, feeling bummed that the Sixties were over and that I (just) missed them. Then I saw "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts. I thought, "Hmm, Zen was big in the Sixties, wasn't it?", so I bought the book. The rest, as they say, is history.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby neverdowell » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:27 am

I came out of protestant Christianity not being able to believe some stuff in the Bible, was an atheist for a while, but mindful that I had spiritual/paranormal experiences at times in the past, so I kept searching for the truth. I found a Buddhist friend on the internet who taught me all about Buddhism, especially Vajrayana and Dzogchen (yeah I was "lucky") but he understands all vehicles very well. Concurrently, I actually listened to an atheist podcast and one of the episodes had a Buddhist as a guest who explained Madhyamaka and I was blown away (so was the host). His intent was to explain selflessness (of persons and objects) to "logical" atheists in a way that would be convincing to them. He used a lot of thought experiments, some very sci-fi ones. It worked for me.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
neverdowell

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am

neverdowell wrote:Concurrently, I actually listened to an atheist podcast and one of the episodes had a Buddhist as a guest who explained Madhyamaka and I was blown away (so was the host). His intent was to explain selflessness (of persons and objects) to "logical" atheists in a way that would be convincing to them. He used a lot of thought experiments, some very sci-fi ones. It worked for me.

Do you have a link?
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul
Global Moderator

Postby neverdowell » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am

Hayagriva wrote:Do you have a link?

http://infidelguy.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=179936

I didn't mean to imply that this was what "sealed the deal" but it did lead to more conversation and studying emptiness.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
neverdowell

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am

neverdowell wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that this was what "sealed the deal" but it did lead to more conversation and studying emptiness.

Thanks.

My first exposure to Buddhism was a friend's father who is an artist. He had a number of Zen haikus typed out and pinned to the wall, which piqued my interest. Eventually I investigated Buddhism further and committed more and more to it.

Paul
Global Moderator

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:54 pm

neverdowell wrote:

I've just finished listening to that - it was very interesting and entertaining indeed. I think the speaker managed to get the level just about right. By the end the host's brain seemed to be melting.

Paul
Global Moderator

Postby conebeckham » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Of course, for all of us, it was our Karma.

In my particular case, the Tendrel in play took the form of my sixth grade social studies teacher, Mrs. Drier (Spelling?) who encouraged me to read the Dhammapadda, and gave me a copy of it, when I was writing a report on Thailand. Since that time, I have considered myself a Buddhist, and along the way I've spent a lot of time reading and studying Buddhism of many traditions, through high school and college, before I finally made my commitment and took formal refuge in the early 1990's.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Sönam » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Jail ... and suffering of it, but it was a come back !

Sönam
(nb : I did'nt kill anyone, just made a rubber cheque ... and was quite young by the time)
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm

My mother.
Josef

Postby dontknowmind » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I have an affinity for all types of prayer beads. While I was reading a book titled Empress Wu, it mentioned something about Buddhist rosaries. after that, I did some research on malas, and ever since, Buddhism has been part of my life. :)
Last edited by dontknowmind on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ven. Seung Sahn: This stick. This sound. This table. Are they the same or different?
Monk: *thonk*
Ven. Seung Sahn: Correct!
dontknowmind

Postby Starglade » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I sure am nosy!

At the risk of sounding like some New-age-y whack job: I had a dream. (I'm not channeling MLK Jr, either . . .)

Honest. That's what finally pulled me onto this path. I sent out a mental call for guidance, because I was tired of wandering around in circles, and that night I had a dream that, to me, was pretty clearly a response. I did some research the next day and into the following weeks, and came to the realization that my world-view had been Buddhist of some flavor or another for a very long time without my having known it.

So, here I am.
Starglade

Postby Silent Forest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am

I guess it was just the natural/logic development for me. Different than most other religions I know I had the impression that (Vajrayana) Buddhism is built up quite logic (substantiated) and has a strong tradition of discussion. Besides I had the probably quite an unusual situation, that neither my mom nor my dad tried to “force” me into their religion (neither would have been the right way for me). So I was free on my quest to find truth.
Silent Forest

Postby mudra » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:01 am

Perhaps you could say karma: Dreamlike experiences in childhood, and lots of other things made me aware there was something called Buddhism.

But encountering serious, committed practitioners (monks) who could explain buddhadharma was when it first presented itself as something that wasn't vague and absract, something one could actually begin to engage with.

How fortunate I am! May all others share this fortune!
mudra

Postby Jikan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Insatiable appetite for Dharma clothes.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Starglade » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Jikan wrote:Insatiable appetite for Dharma clothes.

:rolling:

you fashionista, you. :twothumbsup:
Starglade

Next

Return to Personal Experience