Hello from Bristol, England.

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
vinasp

Hello from Bristol, England.

Post by vinasp »

Hi everyone,

Having spent the last fifteen years studying Theravada, I feel a need to learn more about the other traditions. Consider me to be a complete novice on these topics. I look forward to learning from you all.

Best wishes, Vincent.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Hello from Bristol, England.

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hi Vincent, welcome! I recognize you from e-sangha, I'm glad you made your way here :twothumbsup:

Best wishes,
Laura
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Vincent,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hi Vincent,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

rt

:meditate:
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Hello from Cedro, New Mexico.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

vinasp wrote:Hi everyone,

Having spent the last fifteen years studying Theravada, I feel a need to learn more about the other traditions. Consider me to be a complete novice on these topics. I look forward to learning from you all.

Best wishes, Vincent.

Hi.. Take a walk up Gloucester Road for the FWBO and the NKT, or I recommend the Lam Rim sangha as they have 2, yes 2, Lharampa Geshes who teach in Birstol and Cardiff.
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Left
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

It is my duty to follow Yeshe around here and post disclaimers after he writes :)

Please look up all of these sanghas or talk to practitioners to get opinions before setting your sights on any one sangha. FWBO and NKT are described as controversial and one of the issues is mentioned in our TOS. The other Sangha would be considered more mainstream.

Kindly,
Laura
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

LauraJ wrote:It is my duty to follow Yeshe around here and post disclaimers after he writes :)

Please look up all of these sanghas or talk to practitioners to get opinions before setting your sights on any one sangha.

Kindly,
Laura
It's OK, I'm happy to have a shadow - and such a nice one! :)

As I hail from that area, I thought I could offer a suggestion.
They are the only non-Theravadan ones I know. I can endorse Lam Rim from my own experience, for example, as does HHDL. ;)

Maybe a Zennie could mention others.

Purely mentioned as a complement to this esteemed organ of course, as I don't even know if you are looking at visiting sanghas as well as joining us here! :)
Left
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Yeshe wrote:
LauraJ wrote:It is my duty to follow Yeshe around here and post disclaimers after he writes :)

Please look up all of these sanghas or talk to practitioners to get opinions before setting your sights on any one sangha.

Kindly,
Laura
It's OK, I'm happy to have a shadow - and such a nice one! :)

As I hail from that area, I thought I could offer a suggestion.
They are the only non-Theravadan ones I know. I can endorse Lam Rim from my own experience, for example, as does HHDL. ;)

Maybe a Zennie could mention others.

Purely mentioned as a complement to this esteemed organ of course, as I don't even know if you are looking at visiting sanghas as well as joining us here! :)
Sure, feel free to open a thread about it Yeshe.

Best,
Laura
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Vincent

Forgot to add....I am just a uneducated layperson with a very small practice of no accomplishment. So if you read anything I write, feel free to take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes I can spell Mahayana correctly..but mostly not.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes there are many Buddhist groups in Bristol, but it is difficult for me to get to them. I am 61 years old and do not have a car. The area where I live has virtually no bus service.

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I am only interested in doctrinal matters. Not techniques of meditation, or having a teacher. I just want to know how the teachings differ from Theravada. Research online should be able to answer these questions.

Best wishes, Vincent.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes there are many Buddhist groups in Bristol, but it is difficult for me to get to them. I am 61 years old and do not have a car. The area where I live has virtually no bus service.

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I am only interested in doctrinal matters. Not techniques of meditation, or having a teacher. I just want to know how the teachings differ from Theravada. Research online should be able to answer these questions.

Best wishes, Vincent.
Hello Vincent

If one wishes to understand the Mahayana, without Bodhicitta, even if one reads enough sutras and sastras to fill the ancient library of Alexandria, understanding will always remain out of reach.

Huifeng
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Greetings Venerable,

Yes that is true. I suppose the same could be said of Theravada. One could read all the discourses over and over again, but without wisdom (panna) one would never understand them. Just look at most books written by academics!

Best wishes, Vincent.
BFS

Post by BFS »

Best wishes, Vincent.
You may find this source helpful, Vincent.

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/index.html
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Hi all,

Please be aware that I've removed some posts that don't pertain to the topic at hand.

Vinasp, welcome and thank you for joining our group! I hope you find something here that's useful.

Thanks,
Laura
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Vincent. This site is still pretty new, but it's already bursting with links and information.

:namaste:

Return to “Introductions”