Dzogchen in South Africa

mindyourmind

Dzogchen in South Africa

Post by mindyourmind »

Well then ....

Enough of the sitting around whining about nothing happening around here :stirthepot:

As my own practice tottered along these last eight years I saw great things happening in the Dharma here in SA. I have these last few years badly wanted to start studying Dzogchen formally, but there are no more than two or three practitioners countrywide, so what a convenient excuse that was :zzz:

But as things have developed I have now been inspired to get up off my butt and start a Dzogchen presence here in SA. With the knowledge, permission and, most importantly, the help of some Very Wonderful People worldwide I will now slowly start building a presence here, a gathering place for people in SA that want to study this Path, something real in addition to the webcasts. I find it crazy to see the growth of the Dharma here, in all shapes and sizes and colours - but no Dzogchen. Enough of that, then.

I have a million ideas on how to tackle this, a lot of commitment and a complete sense of accepting responsibility for this, so the work begins now. I will from time to time chip in a line or two on progress.

:bow:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
username

Re: Dzogchen in South Africa

Post by username »

Most excellent. As a result in time much good will happen long into the distant future with many practitioners and gurus and opened power places and results benefiting other world systems as well as ours. It's good to start with Sang and Serkyem and always dedicate merits so it remains forever. It will avert much wars and mass suffering and other calamities in the continent too. Auspiciousness.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
daelm

Post by daelm »

andre, drop me a line about this.

thanks

d
[email protected]
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

daelm wrote:andre, drop me a line about this.

thanks

d
[email protected]

Done :spy:

Namkhai Norbu
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I would advise to stay away from these people, who are located in South Africa: http://www.buddhabrats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
heart

Post by heart »

padma norbu wrote:I would advise to stay away from these people, who are located in South Africa: http://www.buddhabrats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My, my, bad signs.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

padma norbu wrote:I would advise to stay away from these people, who are located in South Africa: http://www.buddhabrats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The website certainly sets off my woo-meter, but I cannot see how they are linked to SA? I don't have the time or the patience to trawl what seems to be a rather big site. Do you know anything about them that should caution us? I cannot even, in a quick skim through see who they are (other than the lame nicknames).

Namkhai Norbu
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

heart wrote:
My, my, bad signs.

/magnus

"Bad signs" of what?

Namkhai Norbu
heart

Post by heart »

mindyourmind wrote:
heart wrote:
My, my, bad signs.

/magnus

"Bad signs" of what?
Just about every sign that Padmasambhava predicted about the decline of the teachings, in particular Dzogchen, is present on that website. Highly entertaining but a pretty "bad" sign.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

I see the domain is registered in Cape Town. That explains that then.

Maybe some true and accurate teachings will cause some amendments to the website to be brought about :shrug:

Give it time.

Namkhai Norbu
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

"These people" seem to be a crowd of two, with hardly any comments on their um, website. No serious influence, I would hope.

Namkhai Norbu
Pero

Post by Pero »

mindyourmind wrote:I see the domain is registered in Cape Town. That explains that then.

Maybe some true and accurate teachings will cause some amendments to the website to be brought about :shrug:

Give it time.
How naive...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Pero wrote:
mindyourmind wrote:I see the domain is registered in Cape Town. That explains that then.

Give it time.
How naive...
I can hope ...

It was also said with tongue in cheek.

Namkhai Norbu
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

mindyourmind wrote:
"These people" seem to be a crowd of two, with hardly any comments on their um, website. No serious influence, I would hope.
Yup, they are trying, though, through Facebook, etc. I posted briefly a few ridiculous quotes from the woman half of the team on here yesterday, but then I deleted the thread because I wasn't QUITE sure how full of crap they were. Now, I am happy to link them to this site so any curious Googlers will find this site and realize they are junk... because after I took a few minutes to peruse the site and re-evaluate her comments I realized this dynamic duo are TOTALLY full of crap.

There is a funny Facebook post she made about a year ago on Karmapa's page that begins:
"I have come across an unpublished manuscript of one Dzogchen practitioner’s journey to enlightenment. I do feel that this might be a valuable document that could benefit the Dzogchen community. It is quite controversial in terms of content but it clearly adheres strictly to core Dzogchen principles."
It's really long and rambling and the funny part is, besides being obvious b.s. marketing crap, nobody responded at all. Here it is: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1 ... opic=12662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the contents of that e-book and ask yourself why a book about Dzogchen should have so many drug culture new agey bs references. Then, notice the link in the side panel about drug use in Tibetan culture. She calls herself a "psychedelic" writer and judging by her Facebook photos clearly enjoys a shroom or 8 every now and again (sorry to judge a book by it's cover like that, but it's pretty obvious, imo, as a fairly young guy who used to do plenty of psychedelics myself).

Apparently, the e-book author hired this young woman to design the website (it looks very pretty, I might add) and in the process she became a Dzogchen master, too. :sage:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

MYM wrote:I can hope ...

I wish I could hope. But Padma Norbu said that they received teachings from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. That means they've had authentic teachings. But no matter how good the teacher and the teachings, it is irrelevant if the student is an idiot. Also most people won't evaluate themselves or admit they were wrong, won't listen to anyone and usually they just try to find justifications of their own ideas as it's much easier to continue in their delusions. I find it all sad really. When I see people like this I can only think "they're finished in this life". I wish I could think "maybe they'll turn around" but I can't. I kind of admire people who do think like that I guess. But for me it seems like it's just a fool's hope. :(

Oh well, she seems pretty, I guess I'd want to play dzogchen master with her too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote:
MYM wrote:I can hope ...

I wish I could hope. But Padma Norbu said that they received teachings from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. That means they've had authentic teachings. But no matter how good the teacher and the teachings, it is irrelevant if the student is an idiot. Also most people won't evaluate themselves or admit they were wrong, won't listen to anyone and usually they just try to find justifications of their own ideas as it's much easier to continue in their delusions. I find it all sad really. When I see people like this I can only think "they're finished in this life". I wish I could think "maybe they'll turn around" but I can't. I kind of admire people who do think like that I guess. But for me it seems like it's just a fool's hope. :(

Oh well, she seems pretty, I guess I'd want to play dzogchen master with her too.
LOL, yeah the first thing her master probably introduced her to (after dropping some acid into her glass) was yab yum.

Actually, maybe I'm naive, too, but the reason I decided to go ahead and link their site to this board was in the hopes they would backtrack the link through their stats analyzer and see that they need to learn some things.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

OK guys, please, let's not turn this thread into a focus for their efforts. It is off topic and there is too much negative energy there.

I would like for this to be a thread where we can focus on the more positive aspects of the topic at hand. We are going to need that.

Namkhai Norbu
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

just one quick question, please, and then no more negativity.
heart wrote:
Just about every sign that Padmasambhava predicted about the decline of the teachings, in particular Dzogchen, is present on that website. Highly entertaining but a pretty "bad" sign.

/magnus
Do you know where I could read about ALL the signs Padmasambhava predicted. I may even have the specific book lying around half-read, actually, because there were a couple Padmasambhava text translations I started that I never finished (Treasures From Juniper Ridge, Advice From The Lotus Born, Dakini Teachings).
heart

Post by heart »

padma norbu wrote:just one quick question, please, and then no more negativity.
heart wrote:

/magnus
Do you know where I could read about ALL the signs Padmasambhava predicted. I may even have the specific book lying around half-read, actually, because there were a couple Padmasambhava text translations I started that I never finished (Treasures From Juniper Ridge, Advice From The Lotus Born, Dakini Teachings).
I am afraid I don't remember where I read it, my memory is very bad. Sorry.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

username

Post by username »

Dzogchen is extremely rare in the cosmos and in a vast cluster of it we are a part of we are told earth is only one of thirteen such fortunate worlds. When aspiring to do a truly great task like spreading the ultimate teachings by great masters such as ChNNR to the last continent, many inner and outer inauspicious forms of obstacles by various classes of beings opposing them will arise. That is why it is good to do Sang and Serkyem and ask for Rinpoche's powerful prayers too. One should remain resolute and steadfast. The Vajrayana and Dzogchen teachings will almost be extinguished in deep Kaliyuga but that is some time away, first they spread globally like never before as intended by Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche : “The stronger and more forceful the disturbing emotions are, the greater the potential for recognizing our original wakefulness. The vast amount of conflict in the world today is precisely why the Vajrayana teachings will spread like wildfire.”
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes

Return to “Dzogchen”