The importance of lineage in Dzogchen

mindyourmind

The importance of lineage in Dzogchen

Post by mindyourmind »

How important is lineage in Dzogchen? As a Dzogchen practitioner, do you regard your lineage to be Nyingma, Dzogchen Community, something quite distinct, something completely irrelevant?

What about the so-called "blessings of (the) lineage"? Is lineage in Dzogchen important to you, or not?

:reading:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: The importance of lineage in Dzogchen

Post by Adamantine »

of course it is the most important- for dzogchen one needs a guru. ideally, one's faith and devotion in their guru is vast. one's guru of course has their own guru, and their guru's guru', on and on. that is lineage. without that precious descent of realized blessings how can we receive transmission?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
heart

Post by heart »

As a Dzogchen practioner I belong to several lineages. The lineage of the teachings of the Buddha, the lineage of the precious Vajrayana, the lineage of the Nyingma, the lineage of the Chokling Tersar. Each practice I do also has its own lineage. I am aslo a member of the Rangjung Yeshe Sangha.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

mindyourmind wrote:How important is lineage in Dzogchen? As a Dzogchen practitioner, do you regard your lineage to be Nyingma, Dzogchen Community, something quite distinct, something completely irrelevant?

What about the so-called "blessings of (the) lineage"? Is lineage in Dzogchen important to you, or not?

"Without the pure blessings of a realized one, it is like waiting for a warm beam while sitting on the north of the mountain and appaerances and mind remain two analytical separate things".

Out of words of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

heart wrote:As a Dzogchen practioner I belong to several lineages. The lineage of the teachings of the Buddha, the lineage of the precious Vajrayana, the lineage of the Nyingma, the lineage of the Chokling Tersar. Each practice I do also has its own lineage. I am aslo a member of the Rangjung Yeshe Sangha.

/magnus
That's my favourite answer, right there. Well put.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mindyourmind wrote:How important is lineage in Dzogchen? As a Dzogchen practitioner, do you regard your lineage to be Nyingma, Dzogchen Community, something quite distinct, something completely irrelevant?

Lineage is indispensable.

Dzogchen is principally a Nyingmapa teaching, but I consider myself a Buddhist first and foremost. The four schools are a Tibetan thing. There was no "Sakya, Kagyu, Gelug, Nyingma" etc., in India.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

IMHO, lineage in Dzogchen is absolutely indispensible. It is the pipeline which carries the blessings, and, without the blessings of the lineage, there is no realization. However, keeping pure samaya is the spigot to that pipeline, while deep, heart-felt faith and devotion to that lineage is what turns on the flow of those blessings.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Like the reply from Pema Chopel very much very well said :D

Also:

In the lineage is:
the Buddha, Dharma en Sangha
which grants us the:
blessings, protection and realisations

Best wishes