Temples that you can become monk or nun?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Namu Butsu

Temples that you can become monk or nun?

Post by Namu Butsu »

Namaste,

I was wondering if there are any temples in Asia that accept westerners to take monk and nun vows?

any info would help
thanks
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Temples that you can become monk or nun?

Post by Huseng »

Asia is a very big place.

What tradition were you thinking of? Do you speak any Asian languages?
Namu Butsu

Post by Namu Butsu »

Im just looking for info from any temple in any part of Asia that accept westerners. Doesn't really matter the tradition.
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namu Butsu wrote:Im just looking for info from any temple in any part of Asia that accept westerners. Doesn't really matter the tradition.
Why Asia?
You can ordain here.
The tradition should be a very important consideration. Different lineages of the vinaya are transmitted by different lineages.
If you dont care which tradition you probably arent any where near prepared to make this kind of commitment.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Namu Butsu

Post by Namu Butsu »

I just want to get some information so I can do further research. I enjoy Zen, Tibetan, and similar traditions. Are there any that also accept nuns?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Namu Butsu wrote:I just want to get some information so I can do further research. I enjoy Zen, Tibetan, and similar traditions. Are there any that also accept nuns?
If you have a source of income, ordaining in a Tibetan tradition isn't an issue as I understand it. You just need to be able to support yourself, because they can't always do it and moreover being in India or Nepal they don't have the financial power to provide anything beyond the basics, visa considerations aside.

Foguangshan in Taiwan is mostly nuns and they have foreigners in their ranks. You'd have to learn Chinese and abide by their strict hierarchy though. There is also minimal freedom as far as movement and work goes. Their chain of command is also very strict.

Ordination in Japan is largely just a meaningless ritual done out of tradition. It is just a matter of going through the motions, when it reality there is no renunciation. You just take some vows, shave your head and go back to ordinary life (sex, family, booze, estate, money, etc...). There are no social consequences if you break your vows (like being ejected from the community), as long of course as you don't do anything terribly illegal. You also need pay a lot of money (upwards of $20,000) to go through an official seminary where afterwards you are qualified to be hired in an official capacity. Buddhism in Japan costs a lot. The official seminaries, universities, books, rituals, robes, etc... it ain't cheap.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Would you really tarnish the whole of Japanese Buddhism with the same brush, Huseng?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Seishin wrote:Would you really tarnish the whole of Japanese Buddhism with the same brush, Huseng?
I'm not tarnishing the whole of Japanese Buddhism. I'm speaking from experience. I'm being honest. Would you rather have me say, "I've only met one or two Japanese monks that actually took their vows and renunciation seriously, but I'm sure there are many thousands more who I just haven't met yet!"

The reality is that in the present day Japanese Buddhism is in rapid decline. Renunciation is a formality.

Even a few generations ago this was different. You had fellows like Nichii Fujidatsu and Sawaki Kodo Roshi. However, in Japan in 2011 you don't see these kinds of figures anymore.

If you wish to dispute my claims with your own experience and observations by all means.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

No no, I think my post came out completely wrong and I'm sorry. And I was a bit off topic :focus:

Gassho,
Seishin.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”