Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 am 

What were the things that led you to the Dharma? Was it a book or a movie? A personal encounter? How old were you when you found yourself interested in Buddhism, and how many years has it been since?
I sure am nosy!

The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 am 

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
What were the things that led you to the Dharma? Was it a book or a movie? A personal encounter? How old were you when you found yourself interested in Buddhism, and how many years has it been since?
I sure am nosy!

My good fortune and nothing else.

http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 am 

a song

"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Last edited by ronnewmexico on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:18 am 

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
I sure am nosy!

Tashi delek,

My previous karma.

Look what (how you look like) you are doing now
That stems from your previous live(s)
Look what you are doing at the very moment
That will be your next live / body(ies)

Best wishes for our individual practice
KY

WHO WITH A LAMP IN THE HAND CANNOT SEE THE ROAD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:18 pm 

Its the solution to a problem that was really bugging me is the easiest way to put it.

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 am 

My karma, of course.

But the way that karma played out was through my fascination with the 1960s. (See my avatar! :) )I was in a bookstore, feeling bummed that the Sixties were over and that I (just) missed them. Then I saw "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts. I thought, "Hmm, Zen was big in the Sixties, wasn't it?", so I bought the book. The rest, as they say, is history.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:27 am 

I came out of protestant Christianity not being able to believe some stuff in the Bible, was an atheist for a while, but mindful that I had spiritual/paranormal experiences at times in the past, so I kept searching for the truth. I found a Buddhist friend on the internet who taught me all about Buddhism, especially Vajrayana and Dzogchen (yeah I was "lucky") but he understands all vehicles very well. Concurrently, I actually listened to an atheist podcast and one of the episodes had a Buddhist as a guest who explained Madhyamaka and I was blown away (so was the host). His intent was to explain selflessness (of persons and objects) to "logical" atheists in a way that would be convincing to them. He used a lot of thought experiments, some very sci-fi ones. It worked for me.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am 
Global Moderator

neverdowell wrote:
Concurrently, I actually listened to an atheist podcast and one of the episodes had a Buddhist as a guest who explained Madhyamaka and I was blown away (so was the host). His intent was to explain selflessness (of persons and objects) to "logical" atheists in a way that would be convincing to them. He used a lot of thought experiments, some very sci-fi ones. It worked for me.

Do you have a link?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am 

Hayagriva wrote:
Do you have a link?

http://infidelguy.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=179936

I didn't mean to imply that this was what "sealed the deal" but it did lead to more conversation and studying emptiness.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am 
Global Moderator

neverdowell wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:
Do you have a link?

I didn't mean to imply that this was what "sealed the deal" but it did lead to more conversation and studying emptiness.

Thanks.

My first exposure to Buddhism was a friend's father who is an artist. He had a number of Zen haikus typed out and pinned to the wall, which piqued my interest. Eventually I investigated Buddhism further and committed more and more to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:54 pm 
Global Moderator

neverdowell wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:
Do you have a link?

I've just finished listening to that - it was very interesting and entertaining indeed. I think the speaker managed to get the level just about right. By the end the host's brain seemed to be melting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:04 pm 

Of course, for all of us, it was our Karma.

In my particular case, the Tendrel in play took the form of my sixth grade social studies teacher, Mrs. Drier (Spelling?) who encouraged me to read the Dhammapadda, and gave me a copy of it, when I was writing a report on Thailand. Since that time, I have considered myself a Buddhist, and along the way I've spent a lot of time reading and studying Buddhism of many traditions, through high school and college, before I finally made my commitment and took formal refuge in the early 1990's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm 

Jail ... and suffering of it, but it was a come back !

Sönam
(nb : I did'nt kill anyone, just made a rubber cheque ... and was quite young by the time)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm 

My mother.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm 

I have an affinity for all types of prayer beads. While I was reading a book titled Empress Wu, it mentioned something about Buddhist rosaries. after that, I did some research on malas, and ever since, Buddhism has been part of my life. :)

Last edited by dontknowmind on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 pm 

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
I sure am nosy!

At the risk of sounding like some New-age-y whack job: I had a dream. (I'm not channeling MLK Jr, either . . .)

Honest. That's what finally pulled me onto this path. I sent out a mental call for guidance, because I was tired of wandering around in circles, and that night I had a dream that, to me, was pretty clearly a response. I did some research the next day and into the following weeks, and came to the realization that my world-view had been Buddhist of some flavor or another for a very long time without my having known it.

So, here I am.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am 

I guess it was just the natural/logic development for me. Different than most other religions I know I had the impression that (Vajrayana) Buddhism is built up quite logic (substantiated) and has a strong tradition of discussion. Besides I had the probably quite an unusual situation, that neither my mom nor my dad tried to “force” me into their religion (neither would have been the right way for me). So I was free on my quest to find truth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:01 am 

Perhaps you could say karma: Dreamlike experiences in childhood, and lots of other things made me aware there was something called Buddhism.

But encountering serious, committed practitioners (monks) who could explain buddhadharma was when it first presented itself as something that wasn't vague and absract, something one could actually begin to engage with.

How fortunate I am! May all others share this fortune!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Insatiable appetite for Dharma clothes.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

Jikan wrote:
Insatiable appetite for Dharma clothes.

:rolling:

you fashionista, you. :twothumbsup: