Classical Tibetan Textbooks

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Huseng
Former staff member

Classical Tibetan Textbooks

Post by Huseng »

Can anyone recommend a good textbook for learning to read classical Tibetan through self-study? I'm aware there are several titles available nowadays, but would anyone be able to provide their insight and experience?
zerwe

Re: Classical Tibetan Textbooks

Post by zerwe »

I am just starting out so I cannot report with any expertise, but I am currently working with the following:

The Classical Tibetan Language
Beyer, Stephan V.,
State University of New York Press, c1992.

Tibetan Language Correspondence Course
by Sarah Harding and Jeremy Morelli

I Tunes U has a couple of intro courses from Emory University with Tzepak Rigzin

Also, a really fantastic blog:

http://jigtenmig.blogspot.com/search/label/Introduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(some of the links are dead in the earliest posts, but there are a lot of resources listed)

Shaun :anjali:
Pero

Re: Classical Tibetan Textbooks

Post by Pero »

I recommend "Introduction to Classical Tibetan" by Stephen Hodge. Next to grammar explanations it also has translation exercises with solutions at the end of the book. If I remember right it was originally a correspondence course.
Tibetan Language Correspondence Course
by Sarah Harding and Jeremy Morelli
Where is this available?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Language”