YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Do you find Hinayana offensive? - Page 12 - Dhamma Wheel

Do you find Hinayana offensive?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Do you find Hinayana offensive?

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

One day I am going to start frequenting Roman Catholic sites in order to convince them concerning my understanding of transubstantiation. I think the world needs that.

I will of course use a sig proclaiming myself to be a proud unbeliever. If and when I find the time for such activity that is. :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Anders

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

My meaning is far less sophisticated than that Mr Honore, it is to do with the fact that this is a Theravada Website, and this is a forum called " Discovering Theravada" Which is a subforum of a wider forum called " Modern Theravada". But its a free world.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Anders

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Some of us Mr Honore are members of a Theravadin website by choice, having examined alternatives, and because we see ourselves not as pan- Buddhists but as Theravadins. It might even be that we see ourselves as not needing saving from ourselves.

Bhikku Bodhi.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:20 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 pm

I wonder if it is appropriate to call a legitimate legal organisation, illegal whether it is to their face or not?

I wonder what the point would be in calling a group something they don't call themselves?

I also wonder if it would be appropriate for Canadians to start referring to Hungarians as $h17forbrains ($h17 for brains) instead of Hungarians, then for every other country to follow suit?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Anders

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Anders,

I am off to lay in the lap of Nxy to be visited by Morpheus, but having read through your long missive, I like a lot of what you said. And when I have I'll read it again with more care and back to you. Thanks for a really thoughful response to this issue.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm

There is another alternative Mr Honore, let us just agree to differ. When the concept of Pan Buddhism is allowed to simply drift of into the wind it might be that we have more in common than an artificial and imposed unity will ever make possible. I think Buddhism is currently having a Margaret Meads moment.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Anders

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:13 pm

I rather thought that this thread is about what Theravadins think about what Mahayanists think about the Theravada. personally I dont think about what Mahayanists think about the Theravada at all. I find trying to actualise the teachings of the Theravada more than enough to occupy me.

Bhikku Bodhi.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 am

Anders

Postby Anders » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi All,

I think the issue is one of making a concerted effort to be specific about what one means. If the term hinayana has become clouded and unreliable in how it is understood I believe it would be best to internalize the various impressions and delineations which any of us have associated with the term. If we then have the desire to express those impressions or delineations then we have a wide variety of ways to communicate which are less likely to be misunderstood. For example if you wish to express that some Theravada teachings strike you as giving the impression that awakening involves a sort forsaking of all those who remain unawakened then explain it and be willing to look further to see if your impression changes. In my opinion this kind of communication is stunted if not blocked by confusing language like hinayana. If you just want to speak about a tendency within a practice that looks towards the personal benefits of the path then do so in your own way. Even if you are used to being taught about such tendencies with the use of the word hinayana you dont need to use that word to express yourself.

Personally I dont understand why so much has to be said about so little.

with Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:26 am

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 am

Been called lots of things in my life, if I took offense at them all I would always be mad. Hinyana isn't the most common epithet in my case--I've been called "dogmatic" by Zen folk so much I got some dogtags with Buddha stamped on them.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”