Dhewa Dhakini

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
dakini_boi

Dhewa Dhakini

Post by dakini_boi »

Sometimes I've seen "Dhewa" and/or "Dhakini" in Tibetan texts instead of the usual "Dewa"/"Dakini". Is this just a transliteration error from Sanskrit, or is there some other reason for it? Is there any Sanskrit precedent for using the aspirated forms?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Dhewa Dhakini

Post by Grigoris »

If you think that this is a problem you should check out some of Namkhai Norbus transliterations! :woohoo:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gregkavarnos wrote:If you think that this is a problem you should check out some of Namkhai Norbus transliterations! :woohoo:
His are based on a kind of Pinyin.

N
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

oooh, could you share an example?

how do you mean it's based on a kind of pinyin, Namdrol?

Btw, in my original question I'm referring to transliteration from Sanskrit to Tibetan - not to the roman alphabet. Since the Tibetan script was made for transliterating Sanskrit, I would think there would be less "creative transliteration" - pretty straightforward.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Namdrol wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:If you think that this is a problem you should check out some of Namkhai Norbus transliterations! :woohoo:
His are based on a kind of Pinyin.

N
I thought as much. It looked kindda familiar though he seems to have added a number of symbols that are not used in pinyin. So the pronunciation goes the same as pinyin then?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Language”