Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby username » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:11 am

Pero wrote:
username wrote:No that's wrong as my unedited post quoted below shows I said first inquire within the sangha and if still unhappy leave and be silent.

And as I said I don't disagree with that in general, except when there are some particular circumstances.

We are super clean and as the master recommends taking other teachers, unlike other lama$, and has hurt people from others too.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand that last part, who hurt who?

Again that's wrong as that is a general advice he gives very often and very rarely does he mention the evil gyalpo's name.

You gave that example so I just went along with it. :smile:

He says do not attack your former teacher in public.

And again, I don't disagree with that in general. However, if Rinpoche would think for example that getting sexually abused and then keeping quiet about it is what one should do then I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with him on that one.

This is routine in TB and has to do with karmic connections and Vajrayana Samayas which you often refer to.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think it's all a little difficult really, and why it would be best to really evaluate most teachers before committing to them and perhaps there wouldn't even be such predicaments.

Best wishes.

Thanks, to you too. :smile:



Hi Pero,

By hurt by others I mean people who were unhappy and hurt in previous situations and by teachers (not neccessarily only Buddhist teachers) who are now in our snagha. On the other point, sexually abused, I think there are certain cases. For example when someone is below legal age then that is abuse. Or someone is mentally unstable then that is abuse. But if someone was an adult and had relations with a male or female teacher for some time then that is not always, but sometimes, abuse. This is also the case in all countries where a judge and jury decides on a case by case basis. Nobody has issued a blanket command on such cases to be quiet. It all depends on circumstances of the case. It is funny the last thing on my mind was sexual matters, in fact not at all, but I merely meant doctrinal differences with one's previous teacher. But your karmic vision is more sexual than me. :applause: Anyway I am glad we agree on the other points. Good night.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
username
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Pero » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 am

username wrote: But your karmic vision is more sexual than me. :applause:

:rolling:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 am

username wrote:Pema Rigdzin,
You say don't reply so and so ... that is not right and I am smiling most of the time. And you accuse me in advance of attacking you! Also maybe read Dreyfus and others on the traditions of deabte. TB is not Hare Krsihna or the 60's whicch ended badly. I used bizzare above, that is not harsh at all, but in your karmic vision it is unacceptable! If what you saw in my posts in content and intention was 'only' negativity then that was not my intention. I am full of faults though and tthanks for your advice. Best wishes to you.


It was probably inappropriate of me to include the verbalized expectation of your response in my last post. It wasn't really helpful, so sorry about that. As was never in doubt, we all have our faults. But hopefully we'll all try to be a little less judgmental and psychoanalytical of each other going forward and if we feel we absolutely must call someone out or strongly disagree, maybe we can limit the hyperbole and charged words a little. I've been working on following this advice for a little while now (because I used to respond quite harshly and proudly a lot, though I've gotten a smidge better about avoiding that), and I will continue to train in this advice, and I don't mind being called out in the future if I let this slide. Best wishes to you, too.
Pema Rigdzin
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby adinatha » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 am

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote: But isn't obvious he's taken controversial approaches to the teachings and broken with tradition?


Nope, it is not obvious at all. I have been his student for 19 years. He is actually a pretty conservative teacher. His attitude toward Bon is no different than the attitude of Guru Chowang, the immediate incarnation of Nyangral, and the terton who revealed the seven line prayer. Guru Chowang wrote in his "Great Origin of Treasures:

"First: the two the supreme of all beneficial qualities, [5/a] the treasure of the true words of Bon emanations: the way the compassionate body came from the pure dimension of the ultimate nature [bon nyid i.e. chos nyid] and the after the treasure of body, speech and mind arose, the way the teaching was spread, i.e. the way a treasure descends from a treasure.

First: the pure dimension of the ultimate nature completely free from falling into any parts or divisions was singular and unique, the treasure of the hidden Bon dharmakāya [bon chos sku] which has nothing to give up, appeared from pure activity to tame beings as the sambhogakāya Shenlha Wodkar [gshen lha 'od dkar]. The way his compassion was moved is that in general he thought of all migrating beings. Specifically, he thought of beings in Jambudvīpa.

Second: after the treasure of the body, speech and mind was produced, the teachings were widely spread. The way the treasure descends from a treasure is that in order to tame the the confusion of ignorance, the root of samsara,at Wolmo Lungring in the land of Zhang Zhung the hidden treasure of compassion arrived in the form of Shenrab Miwoche [gshen rab mi bo che, i.e. the supreme one of the Shen clan, the greatest of men]. The hidden treasure was concealed in a single intention by all the Tathāgatas in the mind of Shenrab, and he taught the nine vehicles of Bon.

Afterwards, Shenrab's words were collected by the fortune Bonpos and placed in a catalogue. The cause Bon tamed ordinary beings, and result Bon tamed intelligent beings.

The teachings were spread in Tokharistan, where people wear silk turbans, the land India and the border lands and also spread in dPur rGyal in Tibet and Bon was disseminated in the beginning.

The King was given the name as the Elder Brother of Bon because he made sure the teaching did not decline, and also he concealed the Bon treasures of cause and result in Zhang Zhung the temple of Shampo Lhatse. Furthermore, as they were spread in the mountain of white peaks in Oddiyana, the Chinese mountain Dru Dzin [5/b] and in southern and northern Tibet, having concealed treasures which descended from treasures, the Bon texts were not destroyed, and the Bonpos became renowned.

Also I, Chowang, say that the profound teaching of Bon is uninterrupted."


If ChNN is to be faulted for respecting Bon Dzogchen, how much more so the master who originally revealed the seven line prayer? Obviously, Nyingmapas who do not respect Bon also do not respect their own lineage masters.

In reality, the only novel thing ChNN does is not pay lip service to the gradual approach of the gsar ma schools. And even this is not novel, but rather a return to the old Nyingma way of doing things, rather than this neo-Nyingma gradualism.

In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games. And for that, some worldly tibetans and westerners wearing robes, who bilk their students of their wealth and rob them of their precious human birth, who bear the title of this and that rinpoche hate ChNN. Well, f76k them.

N

N


Well said.
CAW!
User avatar
adinatha
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby username » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 am

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
It was probably inappropriate of me to include the verbalized expectation of your response in my last post. It wasn't really helpful, so sorry about that. As was never in doubt, we all have our faults. But hopefully we'll all try to be a little less judgmental and psychoanalytical of each other going forward and if we feel we absolutely must call someone out or strongly disagree, maybe we can limit the hyperbole and charged words a little. I've been working on following this advice for a little while now (because I used to respond quite harshly and proudly a lot, though I've gotten a smidge better about avoiding that), and I will continue to train in this advice, and I don't mind being called out in the future if I let this slide. Best wishes to you, too.


I studied psychoanalytical theories over a couple of post-grad semesters. For a while along with feminism and gay liberation and ethnocentrism it was en vogue in the 80's amongst theorists and had dragged onto the 90's. From a therapy and Clinical Psychology POV it is not that well respected as the movies and a minority of theorists misrepresent. I think it is mostly erroneous generalizations and wishful dramatic thinking as I often debated with a specialist lecturer/subject author. Also it is wrong to constantly filter all reality and others' cases through the self's (ego, id, atman, ...) past limited experiences. But then all this is off-topic. Thanks for your further advice. All the best to you.

Back on topic:
Phat can be done by oneself after receiving PO or DI from a lineage master provided one doesn't do it publicly. Nor walking around as it can awaken malevolent sleeping beings. Nor too often as it might lose it's efficacy.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
username
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Vajrahridaya » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 am

adinatha wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote: But isn't obvious he's taken controversial approaches to the teachings and broken with tradition?


Nope, it is not obvious at all. I have been his student for 19 years. He is actually a pretty conservative teacher. His attitude toward Bon is no different than the attitude of Guru Chowang, the immediate incarnation of Nyangral, and the terton who revealed the seven line prayer. Guru Chowang wrote in his "Great Origin of Treasures:

"First: the two the supreme of all beneficial qualities, [5/a] the treasure of the true words of Bon emanations: the way the compassionate body came from the pure dimension of the ultimate nature [bon nyid i.e. chos nyid] and the after the treasure of body, speech and mind arose, the way the teaching was spread, i.e. the way a treasure descends from a treasure.

First: the pure dimension of the ultimate nature completely free from falling into any parts or divisions was singular and unique, the treasure of the hidden Bon dharmakāya [bon chos sku] which has nothing to give up, appeared from pure activity to tame beings as the sambhogakāya Shenlha Wodkar [gshen lha 'od dkar]. The way his compassion was moved is that in general he thought of all migrating beings. Specifically, he thought of beings in Jambudvīpa.

Second: after the treasure of the body, speech and mind was produced, the teachings were widely spread. The way the treasure descends from a treasure is that in order to tame the the confusion of ignorance, the root of samsara,at Wolmo Lungring in the land of Zhang Zhung the hidden treasure of compassion arrived in the form of Shenrab Miwoche [gshen rab mi bo che, i.e. the supreme one of the Shen clan, the greatest of men]. The hidden treasure was concealed in a single intention by all the Tathāgatas in the mind of Shenrab, and he taught the nine vehicles of Bon.

Afterwards, Shenrab's words were collected by the fortune Bonpos and placed in a catalogue. The cause Bon tamed ordinary beings, and result Bon tamed intelligent beings.

The teachings were spread in Tokharistan, where people wear silk turbans, the land India and the border lands and also spread in dPur rGyal in Tibet and Bon was disseminated in the beginning.

The King was given the name as the Elder Brother of Bon because he made sure the teaching did not decline, and also he concealed the Bon treasures of cause and result in Zhang Zhung the temple of Shampo Lhatse. Furthermore, as they were spread in the mountain of white peaks in Oddiyana, the Chinese mountain Dru Dzin [5/b] and in southern and northern Tibet, having concealed treasures which descended from treasures, the Bon texts were not destroyed, and the Bonpos became renowned.

Also I, Chowang, say that the profound teaching of Bon is uninterrupted."


If ChNN is to be faulted for respecting Bon Dzogchen, how much more so the master who originally revealed the seven line prayer? Obviously, Nyingmapas who do not respect Bon also do not respect their own lineage masters.

In reality, the only novel thing ChNN does is not pay lip service to the gradual approach of the gsar ma schools. And even this is not novel, but rather a return to the old Nyingma way of doing things, rather than this neo-Nyingma gradualism.

In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games. And for that, some worldly tibetans and westerners wearing robes, who bilk their students of their wealth and rob them of their precious human birth, who bear the title of this and that rinpoche hate ChNN. Well, f76k them.

N

N


Well said.


Thanks Lappon Namdrol. Pranams.
Vajrahridaya
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Sönam » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 am

Namdrol wrote:In reality, the only novel thing ChNN does is not pay lip service to the gradual approach of the gsar ma schools. And even this is not novel, but rather a return to the old Nyingma way of doing things, rather than this neo-Nyingma gradualism.

In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games. And for that, some worldly tibetans and westerners wearing robes, who bilk their students of their wealth and rob them of their precious human birth, who bear the title of this and that rinpoche hate ChNN. Well, f76k them.

N

N


clear, neat and precise ... it has to be said once for all. Thank you !

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
User avatar
Sönam
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: France

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Adamantine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 am

Namdrol wrote:
In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games.


Do you believe there's no politics or money games in the Dzogchen Community?

Why are people turned away from retreats that genuinely can only afford to pay most, if not the entire amount requested, due to financial hardship?

Yet in the Indian heart of Tibet-in-exile, large scale retreats and empowerments are regularly given to all who come completely free of charge?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games.


Do you believe there's no politics or money games in the Dzogchen Community?

Why are people turned away from retreats that genuinely can only afford to pay most, if not the entire amount requested, due to financial hardship?



Oh, there are politics in the DC, but not money games. What politics there are in the DC are not around Dzogchen. Mostly they are around differing opinions of ChNN's intentions.

It is simple, if you are poor, you get a poor persons membership ($85.00 per annum) which gives you a %50 discount on retreats. If you are not a member of the DC, well, what can I say? If you want teachings from ChNN you can always attend _free_ webcasts, as many as you like, you just might have to lose a little sleep. In reality, it is expensive to put on retreats, and every community is independent financially from the others. So, if you can't pay, stay home and watch webcast. If you can pay, go to retreat and enjoy.


Yet in the Indian heart of Tibet-in-exile, large scale retreats and empowerments are regularly given to all who come completely free of charge?


That is not an Indian heart. In India and in ancient Tibet, masters charged large fees for empowerments. These fees come directly from the tantras themselves.

And if that is where people want to go, spending thousands of dollars on flights to India for these free retreats, then they should. But don't complain that DC retreats are not free when you are spending large sums of money to travel to India for your "free" retreat.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 11997
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Josef » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games.


Do you believe there's no politics or money games in the Dzogchen Community?

Why are people turned away from retreats that genuinely can only afford to pay most, if not the entire amount requested, due to financial hardship?

Yet in the Indian heart of Tibet-in-exile, large scale retreats and empowerments are regularly given to all who come completely free of charge?

I dont really get this.
I have been a member of many different sangha's and I can say that without question the DC offers the most for the least amount of $$.
A regular membership of only $180 a year gets you a lot of benefits and the actual retreats arent very expensive either.
There are a ton of hollow criticisms of the DC and Rinpoche.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby adinatha » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 pm

It's true. DC is much much much cheaper than other less wide-spread sanghas. You spend a lot of money on long retreats with some masters.
CAW!
User avatar
adinatha
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 am

Nangwa wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
In reality, what ChNN did was free Dzogchen from Tibetan politics and money games.


Do you believe there's no politics or money games in the Dzogchen Community?

Why are people turned away from retreats that genuinely can only afford to pay most, if not the entire amount requested, due to financial hardship?

Yet in the Indian heart of Tibet-in-exile, large scale retreats and empowerments are regularly given to all who come completely free of charge?

I dont really get this.
I have been a member of many different sangha's and I can say that without question the DC offers the most for the least amount of $$.
A regular membership of only $180 a year gets you a lot of benefits and the actual retreats arent very expensive either.
There are a ton of hollow criticisms of the DC and Rinpoche.


I haven't been around the DC long, but I can say that for people like me who are students and make less than $1000 a month, one year membership can be as low as $70 a year. Actually, first time membership for anyone could be only $70 a year unless one has more means and does the right thing and gives more. But with that $70 a year one also gets 50% discounts on retreats and tons of stuff. Plus, open webcasts are totally free. So, if one had no conscience or gratitude at all, one could receive week-long Dzogchen teachings many times throughout the year via webcast for no cost whatsoever. Plus, at the end of this last week-long Dzogchen teaching, when the students there in person gave Rinpoche a box full of money they collected among themselves to present to him to show their gratitude, he handed right back to them as soon as he figured out what it was and was like "oh, this is just some money... you guys take this and spend it to finish building your gompa." And then he changed the subject.
Pema Rigdzin
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 am

Namdrol wrote:Oh, there are politics in the DC, but not money games. What politics there are in the DC are not around Dzogchen. Mostly they are around differing opinions of ChNN's intentions.

It is simple, if you are poor, you get a poor persons membership ($85.00 per annum) which gives you a %50 discount on retreats. If you are not a member of the DC, well, what can I say? If you want teachings from ChNN you can always attend _free_ webcasts, as many as you like, you just might have to lose a little sleep. In reality, it is expensive to put on retreats, and every community is independent financially from the others. So, if you can't pay, stay home and watch webcast. If you can pay, go to retreat and enjoy.


I wasn't referring to myself but to friends who really couldn't afford the membership or full retreat fee, but gave everything they could and were treated badly. I'm sure that venues are expensive but it seems what's missing is setting some tickets aside at sliding scale rates for sincere practitioners who are down on their luck. This was in NYC btw, I don't know how other centers run their retreats.



That is not an Indian heart. In India and in ancient Tibet, masters charged large fees for empowerments. These fees come directly from the tantras themselves.

And if that is where people want to go, spending thousands of dollars on flights to India for these free retreats, then they should. But don't complain that DC retreats are not free when you are spending large sums of money to travel to India for your "free" retreat.

N


I meant heart figuratively in respect to location. You make a good argument for fees but then I wonder where the criticism of money games comes from. My point about India was not that people in the west should spend thousands of dollars to go there in order to get free teachings, you're just being absurd for fun I imagine. Obviously India has people living in it already. For all the Tibetans in exile, Indians, and western ex-pats that are residents there are many teachings and empowerments offered for free regularly to large groups. I assume this is made possible from sponsors. What I wonder is why this seems to never happen in the U.S., and why not the D.C.? Anyway, I was just presenting an opposing view to your statement: that there seems to be an expression of generosity in giving-the-Dharma happening over there, and here it is always for a set price - at least these days.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:07 am

And I'm glad everyone here is into the webcasts. I am not really discussing this on my own behalf, but since I am the one talking I'll just say that I have not found webcasts to be a superior medium for transmission ---> for my own mind. I get a tremendous amount out of being in the same physical space as the Lama. I imagine this could be my own limitation, and I'm sure others will rush to point that out. But it is what it is, and I imagine I may not the only one.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Yontan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 am

What's your net worth? What percentage are you planning on "keeping" after dzogchen?
How much did Marpa give? How much did your root guru give?
I once very sadly missed a Dzambhala empowerment for lack of funds.
I have personally seen a buddha-in-person tell a very thick-headed student he wants a jewel the size of his fist.
...At an empowerment and teaching that I attended for "free."
Conversely, I have paid uncountable sums for what is essentially dog shit, for years and years.
And continue to do so.

It has so little to do with money.
There is much "getting over" of it to be done.
Yontan
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:57 am

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Adamantine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am

Yontan wrote:What's your net worth? What percentage are you planning on "keeping" after dzogchen?
How much did Marpa give? How much did your root guru give?
I once very sadly missed a Dzambhala empowerment for lack of funds.
I have personally seen a buddha-in-person tell a very thick-headed student he wants a jewel the size of his fist.
...At an empowerment and teaching that I attended for "free."
Conversely, I have paid uncountable sums for what is essentially dog shit, for years and years.
And continue to do so.

It has so little to do with money.
There is much "getting over" of it to be done.


It's one thing if a Lama demands a giant jewel directly or even turns you away, but if the Lama isn't even consulted and it's a matter of bureaucratic protocol for institutional fundraising then it becomes closer to what I imagined Namdrol was critiquing in the first place, thus my raising the issue....
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Pero » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Adamantine wrote:I wasn't referring to myself but to friends who really couldn't afford the membership or full retreat fee, but gave everything they could and were treated badly. I'm sure that venues are expensive but it seems what's missing is setting some tickets aside at sliding scale rates for sincere practitioners who are down on their luck. This was in NYC btw, I don't know how other centers run their retreats.


That's a little odd. In Merigar West you can arrange to help out with stuff if you can't afford it. Last August one person I know helped out in the kitchen cleaning dishes. I don't know if she got the retreat free or just reduced though. The same with membership, it was my impression that if you can't afford even 50€ then you can try to arrange something with the Community.

And I'm glad everyone here is into the webcasts. I am not really discussing this on my own behalf, but since I am the one talking I'll just say that I have not found webcasts to be a superior medium for transmission ---> for my own mind. I get a tremendous amount out of being in the same physical space as the Lama. I imagine this could be my own limitation, and I'm sure others will rush to point that out. But it is what it is, and I imagine I may not the only one.

I don't think it's your limitation or something, or perhaps it's a limitation most of us share, but I do think you may be mixing up transmission and atmosphere. Of course atmosphere is different when you're physically near the teacher. Also being near the teacher and also being in the same room as hundreds of other people, all doing the same thing can be a lot more powerful experience than when it's just you tuning in through Webcast. Transmission occurs just the same though.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby heart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Pero wrote:
Adamantine wrote:And I'm glad everyone here is into the webcasts. I am not really discussing this on my own behalf, but since I am the one talking I'll just say that I have not found webcasts to be a superior medium for transmission ---> for my own mind. I get a tremendous amount out of being in the same physical space as the Lama. I imagine this could be my own limitation, and I'm sure others will rush to point that out. But it is what it is, and I imagine I may not the only one.

I don't think it's your limitation or something, or perhaps it's a limitation most of us share, but I do think you may be mixing up transmission and atmosphere. Of course atmosphere is different when you're physically near the teacher. Also being near the teacher and also being in the same room as hundreds of other people, all doing the same thing can be a lot more powerful experience than when it's just you tuning in through Webcast. Transmission occurs just the same though.


Transmission occur when you recognize, no matter where you are. But, if you ever received transmission alone with your teacher there is for sure a great difference in depth.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3095
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Pero » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm

heart wrote:
Pero wrote:
Adamantine wrote:And I'm glad everyone here is into the webcasts. I am not really discussing this on my own behalf, but since I am the one talking I'll just say that I have not found webcasts to be a superior medium for transmission ---> for my own mind. I get a tremendous amount out of being in the same physical space as the Lama. I imagine this could be my own limitation, and I'm sure others will rush to point that out. But it is what it is, and I imagine I may not the only one.

I don't think it's your limitation or something, or perhaps it's a limitation most of us share, but I do think you may be mixing up transmission and atmosphere. Of course atmosphere is different when you're physically near the teacher. Also being near the teacher and also being in the same room as hundreds of other people, all doing the same thing can be a lot more powerful experience than when it's just you tuning in through Webcast. Transmission occurs just the same though.


Transmission occur when you recognize, no matter where you are. But, if you ever received transmission alone with your teacher there is for sure a great difference in depth.

/magnus

What is "depth"?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Origin of the Direct Introduction with Syllable Phat

Postby Dechen Norbu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Adamantine,

I think people should understand that in the DC it's not a "attending retreats" vs "attending webcasts" situation.
If one has possibilities to travel, it's "attending retreats" PLUS "attending webcasts".

If one can do both, great. If one can't travel that much, at least one has the webcasts. This allows the constant presence of the lama and his teachings in your life. It's like a reminder that works like a crutch until your whole life is practice. With so many webcasts, replays and personal practice (and courses, activities in local groups and so on) you live immersed in the teachings. That can be quite helpful, especially until one becomes really seasoned.
These days, better than that only traveling with the lama, a possibility only a few realistically have.

Warm regards.
User avatar
Dechen Norbu
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Concordiadiscordi, Kilaya., LastLegend and 14 guests

>