Dzogchen practices

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Dzogchen practices

Postby Fa Dao » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 am

After one has received DI can a Master tell a person which of the principal and/or secondary practices are most appropriate for that individual?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fa Dao

Re: Dzogchen practices

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:39 am

Fa Dao wrote:After one has received DI can a Master tell a person which of the principal and/or secondary practices are most appropriate for that individual?

Absolutely.
Pema Rigdzin

Postby adinatha » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:12 am

The Dzogchen Community of NNR emphasizes self-observation and working with circumstances.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Sönam » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 am

adinatha wrote:The Dzogchen Community of NNR emphasizes self-observation and working with circumstances.

and going in essence ...

S.
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby heart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am

Fa Dao wrote:After one has received DI can a Master tell a person which of the principal and/or secondary practices are most appropriate for that individual?

Yes, but the whole process is a bit of trial and error at least on the part of the student. You practice, you have problems, you talk to the teacher, he might or might not suggestion something else, you practice, you have questions, you talk to the teacher, he might or might not suggestion something else and so on. Of course if you have a very popular teacher this might not be possible, in that case you have to rely on your understanding and the advice of older vajra brothers and sisters and in particular on your teachers public/private teachings. That might be more trial and error but also work out nice.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Fa Dao » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Better safe than sorry then eh? Guess its best to do one of each from body, voice, and mind, cover your "bases" as it were :twothumbsup:
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fa Dao

Postby heart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Better safe than sorry then eh? Guess its best to do one of each from body, voice, and mind, cover your "bases" as it were :twothumbsup:

One each of what?

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Fa Dao » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought that there were principal and secondary practices relating to one of the aspects of body, voice, and/or mind. Whenever one finds an obstacle to being in the natural state it falls under one of these aspects, or so I thought.
Fa Dao

Postby heart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought that there were principal and secondary practices relating to one of the aspects of body, voice, and/or mind. Whenever one finds an obstacle to being in the natural state it falls under one of these aspects, or so I thought.

Hmm, when your are working with a teacher things might not be so easy to differentiate, and the number of secondary practices one can receive can be either very limited or quite vast. Thee reason to work with a teacher is that he/she might see what you don't see. This is my experience at least.

/magnus
- Longchenpa
heart

Return to Dzogchen