Books & Texts

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
clydefrog

Books & Texts

Post by clydefrog »

Hello,

New to this website and relatively knew to the world of Buddhism. My interest started primarily while reading "World Religions" by Huston Smith. Ever since I've been trying to learn as much as I can about Buddhism. I'm looking for the books and texts of the teachings of the Buddha. I've been to the Buddhist eLibrary and would prefer to have a physical book in front of me rather than PDFs. I've found it much easier to find books about the Tripitaka and Suttras than actually finding the writings themselves. Also if anyone knows good books that give an indepth view on buddhism in general, theravada buddhism, zen buddhism, or Tibetan buddhism that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help and guidance!
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Re: Books & Texts

Post by Madeliaette »

The Dhammapada is readily available in multiple translations and The World Of Tibetan Buddhism by HHDL gives good coverage of Tibetan Buddhism.
clydefrog

Post by clydefrog »

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but it seems as though the compilation of all Buddhist writings is a very vast body. What then would you say is the general books buddhist use and read most often? Ask this full well knowing the answer could be all of them and I know learning the ways of buddhism is best done through a teacher, sangha, or community, I unfortunately don't have many near me.

Other than going to temple and talking with someone I'm trying to find a good starting place with material that is creditable and reliable.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Buddha Dharma

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is a large compilation of Buddha's teachings from many important scriptures. It will give you the flavor of the entire teachings of Buddha. The "taste of freedom" as he once put it.

https://www.bdkamerica.org/default.aspx?MPID=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
clydefrog

Post by clydefrog »

Awesome! thank you so much for you responses. I purchased a copy of the Dhammapada and am looking forward to exploring it.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”