sutra recitation

gingercatni

sutra recitation

Post by gingercatni »

Hi

As I'm still learning daily practice methods, can anyone advise if it is required to recite one of the sutra's for daily practice? I have supplemented many of the old Theravada verse's I used to recite for Pure land ones and just wonder if the reciting sutra's is missing?
LastLegend

Re: sutra recitation

Post by LastLegend »

gingercatni wrote:Hi

As I'm still learning daily practice methods, can anyone advise if it is required to recite one of the sutra's for daily practice? I have supplemented many of the old Theravada verse's I used to recite for Pure land ones and just wonder if the reciting sutra's is missing?
If you are able to keep up with reciting the Sutra, then that's good. You don't have to recite the whole Sutra in one day, you can recite some part of the text to concentrate your mind, lets say half or one hour, it's up to you could be 20 minutes. Reciting is a way to keep the mind from wandering off or engaging in thoughts that are based greed, anger, and ignorance. I think the whole practice is to keep the mind focusing on Amitabha and anything related to Pure Land. Even when you imagine of what Pure Land looks like, then this is considered a right thought because you are not focusing on thoughts of greed, anger, and ignorance. And when you constantly think about Amitabha and recite Amitabha, you will experience peace.
It’s eye blinking.
Shutoku

Post by Shutoku »

In Jodo Shinshu, one is supposed to try to chant Shoshinge daily. I"m not sure how many actually do though.
Some people choose a shorter one like Juseige (a short segment of the larger Sutra, coming after Amida's Vows) or Junirai (by Nagarjuna)
I try to chant Shoshinge daily and Amida Kyo on Sundays where there is no Temple service.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

gingercatni wrote:Hi

No, sutra recitation is not necessary from a Chinese or Jodo Shu perspective (though Jodo Shu & Chinese temples do have liturgies they do). I have two liturgies I try and post later. One is by Venerable Wu Ling and Layman Lee Ping.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

In chapter 40 of the Avatamsaka Sutra is this reminder that regular recitation of this chapter or even just the Ten Vows of Samantabhadra Mahasattva, will lead to the Pure Land of Amita.
Further, when a person is on the verge of death, at the last instant of life, when all his faculties scatter and he departs from his relatives, when all power and status are lost and nothing survives, when his prime minister, great officials, his inner court and outer cities, his elephants, horses, carts, and treasuries of precious jewels can no longer accompany him, these kings of vows alone will stay with him. At all times, they will guide him forward, and in a single instant he will be reborn in the Land of Ultimate Bliss. Arriving there, he will see Amita Buddha, Manjushri Bodhisattva, Universal Worthy Bodhisattva, the Bodhisattva Who Contemplates At Ease, Maitreya Bodhisattva, and others. The appearances of these Bodhisattvas will be upright and adorned, and their merit and virtue complete. Together, they will circumambulate him.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Pure Land”