Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am 

Due to my selfishness I am grateful that my situation/condition is as it is. It could be worse, far more worse.
In the teachings it is said that one should consider this to be caused by the kindness of other beings. But then ... considering the ocean of visible sufferings in the world should these suffering beings in dark regions of the world consider their sufferings to be caused by the animosity of other beings?

Kind regards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 pm 

Just to venture a guess as a layperson with a very small simple practice....it is certainly productive of a good habit mind stream to consider all fortunate things to be the effect of kindness of others and by my take this is in a sense a actuality. To my view awareness though not inherantly existant, when it presents, does present, as a aspect of compassion. As in....remove self and do we stop being aware...it appears not. And then...if we continue in awareness what exactly is our motivation, our reason for awareness, self removed....it appears to me that awareness the wanting to identify and catagorize anything we may meet can only be a compassion action. To understand and to really completely know implies always....compassion, as far as sentinent beings are concerned(we can be neutral to neutral objects). We cannot act otherwise if we know things/circumstance/beings in their totality.
So beings being reflective of reality and hence ultimately aspects of awareness in action are then always causing kindness simply by being aware or as they naturally are. So as we are all aware, any kindness by ourselves or others is equal or the same thing(our reality but reflects our awareness). So thusly all kindness and kind circumstance can be considered produced by others. But only in the sense as others are also us. As there is no real seperation in things this becomes true.

Now bad peoples things....well the stock answer which I happen to agree with, is misconstrued awareness or ignorance. A product of ignorance. So animosity of the individuals seems not the issue. The issue is perhaps the ignorance or misconception of things.That they think they understand things and peoples as they are, but do not(doers of evil). So animosity by my take as awareness is compassion, animosity is ignorance. So it is not a full cause of evil action, a symptom of the full cause, the full cause is ignorance.

Just my personal view as a layperson with a very small practice that is the product of laziness and self indulgence.

Nevertheless it is my present view on this thing.
I continue to remain ungrateful but that is perhaps a slightly differing issue.

"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:03 pm 

catmoon wrote:
Just now I am grateful for the Dalai Lama and his kind way of teaching. If he was strict and hard, I would never have listened to him, and that would have finished my learning almost before it began.

I am also grateful for the existence of the Dalai Lama. In fact, when I saw one of his pictures about two and a half years ago, it reignited my interest in Buddhism and caused a chain of thinking to unfold in my mind which led to me moving overseas and finding a lama to learn from.

I might actually get to see His Holiness next year, but it depends on how certain karmas unfold.

FREE TIBET!!