lacking the capacity

Sönam

Re: lacking the capacity

Post by Sönam »

tamdrin wrote: like having a boss who is an asshole or something.
that's certainly an easy one !

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

alpha wrote:time is another factor...

i wonder if i still have time left to achieve the rainbow body in this lifetime given that i am 37 already...considering that i have received everything one needs to get there..

i know about a rinpoche -shardza rinpoche -who decided relatively late that he had enough of samsara and went into retreat when he was 34 or 35 and he still achieved rainbow body...
There is always enough time to achieve rainbow body ... until you're still alive !

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
username

Post by username »

username wrote:This morning IIRC ChNNR said briefly there are 4 stages (held up 4 fingers & counted) in capacity. First is having circumstances to have Dzogchen teachings. Second is your own diligence level. Third is your ability of the amount of keeping presence or being non-distracted. Fourth, gist of it as can't remember the exact few words, how often and how deeply you think about, contemplate or actually practice presence or instant presence itself.
I had to leave that morning's teaching and on listening to the replay (17th May, within first half hour), he added a fifth after some time, actually he said this five staged system is from Sutra system, but obviously fine tuned for Dzogchen capacity, so:

First is having circumstances to have Dzogchen teachings. Simply just being lucky to receive them, of course it's not luck but karma etc. etc.

Second is your own diligence level, developing and maintaining and increasing (on view/meditation/conduct).

Third is your ability of the amount of keeping 'presence' or as he defined being non-distracted and increasing that.

Fourth (unlike most other meditations which either have specific conditioned aims or do not reach beyond concept): Continually Increasing the Level of "Contemplatiton Meditation" which he explains goes beyond concepts and causality, so we can assume he means being in various states of Rigpa.

Fifth: Intelligence (He mentioned Sanskrit: Prajna, Tib: Sherab), develppment and increasing of: He explains this can be in simple language and everyday events and even normal gestures both for students' point of view and the skillful master, as his own root guru was doing all the time but he only realized after he got introduced successfully by that root guru. Does not have to be fancy or complex or scholarly. Again as for all other 4 stages, he means we can constantly develop this in view/meditation/consduct aspects daily in all circumstances by our constant integrated contemplation on the world, our thoughts and sense inputs (all non-dual as much as possible) in as a relaxed way as possible and triggered often by regular short remembering of being in the state of guru and get into that 'instant presence' as much as possible and slowly increasing it's occurance and durations. So all simple daily events can become new forms of Intelligence/Prajna/Sherab we can gather, and progress with, as all is simply adornment of dharmakaya anyway.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

mr. gordo wrote: I went from Vajrayana to Dzogchen back to Vajrayana. Don't come down on yourself because your "low capacity". Ask yourself if you enjoy your current practice and if you see a positive effect of your practice in daily life. I readily admit I am "low capacity" :smile:
I am in a similar position, except now I practice both simultaneously. I find that as I am performing a Vajrayana sadhana, my Dzogchen understanding makes it all the more powerful and I actually understand what it is that I'm doing a lot better. When I first started Vajrayana, it felt like I was praying and being kind of superstitious. Now, I know enough that I think anything I do is really kind of a Dzogchen practice (plus I encapsulate it within a Dzogchen practice).

The problem is that it's very subtle. How easy is it to get lost in a train of thought? It's so easy to get lost on a single wave of thought... I think Namkhai Norbu's analogy of driving a car is really perfect, even though when I first heard it I didn't find it terribly helpful due to lack of experience. But, it is like that. At first you can't maintain awareness and do other things very easily, like when you first learn to drive a car. But, eventually, you learn to drive while singing to the radio and talking to your friends in the back seat.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
rai

Post by rai »

Last edited by rai on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muni

Post by muni »

Now you are going to see something, said the wave, I'll realize the ocean.
muni

Post by muni »

English translations of lacking capacity.
Longchen Rabjampa:

It should be concealed from: those who revile the teacher,
who are hostile to their brothers and sisters,
who violate secrecy in gossip,
who are faithless, avaricious and dishonest,
and who are preoccupied with mundane affairs.

those unable to show respect and esteem,
misconstruing and perverting tantrayoga,
Lacking spiritual breeding and character,
with little insight, betraying others kindness,
boasting about their family,
adorning themselves with fine ornaments,

addicted to meaningless lifestyles,
such people cannot be called students,
rather they are enemies of the teacher,
and natural perfection should not be expounded
to people who will not embody it.

Those who delight in the social spotlight,
the arrogant, who cannot respect what is sacred,
those who are easely discouraged and rejected,
those who do not accept the tests that arise,

those who want power through rivalry in practice,
those who inhibit the spreading of the teaching,
those who nurse invidious comparision with others,
The Great Perfection is kept from such people.
muni

Post by muni »

mr. gordo wrote: N

Oh, I thought it was based on the intelligence of the practitioner to grasp the teachings. Thanks for the clarification.
Like Namdrol said.

Dzogchen practice is not in the intellectual limitations. Also pride of 'the highest teaching', given by most humble loving Dharmakaya, how is this possible? In that way translations must not be taken literally by mind.

Rather it is :broke: the liberation of limited apprehended, heavy thoughts or liberation of conditioned intellect, concepts... even elaborations are the perfect leading keys on the other paths.

“Rest in natural great peace
This exhausted mind..." :namaste:

Return to “Dzogchen”