So here comes your second, well, may be second best, but first-eyes witness'es opinion:
Firstly, thanks to Jens (Dharmaswede) for such a respectful attitude.
If you ever heard Lama Norbu talking in public, there is no doubt about his honesty, sincerity and openness.
Even in his book there is frank acknowledgment that some may raise suspicion on his "true" motives and given Lama Norbu's unique life story this is quite understandable.
Just want to mention couple of points not to be missed:
- Shiva-Garuda is indeed an authentic Tantric Yoga teaching but not necessary part of Buddhadharma;
- references to Lama Norbu's Geshe degree in buddhist studies is obviously meant just to show his general education status and level of intellect. In fact, his is often dismissive about his "book knowledge"
and tends to emphasize values of direct way of perception and learning.
- consequently any further details and particulars regarding aforementioned degree are not necessary since it is not them that give Lama Norbu authority to present Shiva-Garuda.
- neither it is participation in conferences and gatherings mentioned where he was seen and photographed as an invited speaker or member of his community, far cry from a "hungry weirdo" suggested earlier.
- as for the teachings lineage, its exact tracing may become uncovered it time, but appears to be of very little value for now. Besides, many authentic Vajrayana practices came to their originators in dreams or visions. How one would assign credibility in such instances?! So only because students perceived their value directly, teachers were able to pass them along.
And finally, as any good dharma practitioner knows, even the most true and pure teaching can become a poison when taken with a negative and selfish motive or attitude...
Now, please, don't get me started on the celibacy issue. Even yoga-banning Christian Orthodox church prefers their priests to be married and for a good reason: besides simply upholding a natural order of things, having not loved your life's partner, parent, sibling or child makes it so difficult to relate to others with genuine compassion!
Just keep in mind, from his own words Lama Norbu is eager to offer this gift to every open heart, weather it belongs to a Buddhist, Muslim, Christian or even a natural scientist like myself...
Please, do yourself a favor, come and see it with your own eyes:http://www.ncfinternational.org/shivagaruda.html