Looking for seeds

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
catmoon
Former staff member

Looking for seeds

Post by catmoon »

Does anyone know of a source for arura plant of Medicine Buddha fame? I'd like to try to grow some. It seems to be known as Terminalia Chebula in the modern world, and I was very surprised to learn that it is a tree that can grow over 100 feet in height. Has anyone here attempted "aruraculture"?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
arisaema81

Re: Looking for seeds

Post by arisaema81 »

I have done a quick search and could only find a bulk supplier and the site looked a bit suspect (B and T World Seeds). Where do you live? It appears that it is a Zone 10 plant using the USDA system which means that it is only hardy to 30 F or -1 C , or in other words it is not hardy for toffee. If you are able to get some fresh seed or plant material then you may be able to grow it as a house plant but I guess that you will have to prune and train the plant due to its large stature.

It may be easier to try and buy a plant itself and go from there. Good luck in your search..... I love plants :smile:

Arisaema
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Yup I found B&T... but I was really looking for a supplier that already had stock in North America. I found one site whose minimum order was eighty metric tons. I don't need quite that much. Another place had an 80 kg minimum, which is getting closer.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

According to ecocrop

http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/cropView?id=10327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/d ... t?id=10327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the plant's killing temperature during rest is -5C(23F). It grows in tropical climates.
:namaste:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Oho, it might grow in a pot on my balcony! I'd probably have to bring it indoors in the winter though. This is starting to look possible.
arisaema81

Post by arisaema81 »

You may want to contact some botanical gardens and ask them if they know of suppliers in the US. I doubt that they would give you any seed or plants but they may be able to point you in the right direction. The best botanical gardens in the US are New York, Chicago and Missouri. Longwood Gardens may also know who to contact. If you were in the UK then I would be of more help!

Have fun

P.S. I am pretty sure that Terminalia chebula will be killed outright by several hard frosts (especially when young) and it will need a decent ambient temperature to thrive. Also as it is a sub-tropical/tropical plant, you will need to get seed as fresh as possible to ensure viability.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BT world seeds is a very good company.
arisaema81 wrote:I have done a quick search and could only find a bulk supplier and the site looked a bit suspect (B and T World Seeds). Where do you live? It appears that it is a Zone 10 plant using the USDA system which means that it is only hardy to 30 F or -1 C , or in other words it is not hardy for toffee. If you are able to get some fresh seed or plant material then you may be able to grow it as a house plant but I guess that you will have to prune and train the plant due to its large stature.

It may be easier to try and buy a plant itself and go from there. Good luck in your search..... I love plants :smile:

Arisaema
arisaema81

Post by arisaema81 »

Namdrol wrote:BT world seeds is a very good company.
They should sort out their website then!!!! Lol :rolling:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

On the subject of seeds...my teacher gave me a bunch of these...they are very thin and wispy and come from a very large dark brown pod...from a special tree that grows in Nepal. He said they are used in special ceremonies. Anyone know anything about this ?

img076.jpg

Amazed I found what I was looking for...but I still don't know much else about this seeds history or the name of it :

pods1.jpg
kinoorihat.jpg

Inside are the seeds of this tree which are used in place of flowers for decoration and offerings during the winter. The folks down from the highest reaches of the mountains are particularly eager to snap these up. The old Kinoori women in particular, are fond of these pods and carry them around then wear the papery seeds proudly:

http://www.customjuju.com/joy/joyblog/?s=&paged=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dear CM,

Arura (Terminalia chebula) seeds can be brought at $4,50 (s/h included) for 10 seeds on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Seeds-Terminalia ... 3f04daabad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also heard that the fruit Sangye Menla holds is Amla or Indian Gooseberry (PHYLLANTHUS Emblica) as the term myrobalan can be applied to a number of different and unrelated plants:

Cherry plum myrobalan plum (Prunus cerasifera)
Amla Amalaki, emblic myrobalans (Emblica officinalis)
Bibhitaki Belliric myrobalans (Terminalia bellirica)
Haritaki Chebulic myrobalans (Terminalia chebula)
Arjuna Arjun myrobalans (Terminalia arjuna)

You can also find Amla seeds on ebay at $4.50 (s/h included) for 100 seeds http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Seeds-PHYLLANTH ... 3f0698634c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@Kunga Lhadzom

The fruit and seeds look very much like Oroxylum indicum:
http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.as ... &sref=5116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://images.google.com/images?q=%22Or ... 60&bih=656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tree called "Hagdan sa Uwak" has medicinal uses in the Philippines.

Matthew
B and T World Seeds
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Thankyou Matthew ! That's it !

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”