Smoking tobacco

Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Smoking tobacco

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:it's a joke adapted from the stoner movie "Dude, Where's My Car?".
No, I mean why do the sadhus smoke marijuana or whatever they smoke?

Kirt
You could call him up and ask.

:smile:
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Huseng wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:it's a joke adapted from the stoner movie "Dude, Where's My Car?".
No, I mean why do the sadhus smoke marijuana or whatever they smoke?

Kirt
You could call him up and ask.

:smile:
That's the cleanest and most well-groomed sadhu I've ever seen. :lol:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Good afternoon Namdrol,

I posted this yesterday, but think it got lost in the thread, would be interested and appreciative of your advice and opinion.
"Thanks again N,

What's your opinion of the Men Tsee Khang precious pills? Can you recommend any other authentic source? Dr Dhonden did warn me against inferior sources. Especially from some of the little clinics around Dharamsala.

About 12 years ago I actually had some that were made by Khenpo Troru Tsenam, but they are long used.

Thanks,

s."
s.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

samdrup wrote:Good afternoon Namdrol,

I posted this yesterday, but think it got lost in the thread, would be interested and appreciative of your advice and opinion.
"Thanks again N,

What's your opinion of the Men Tsee Khang precious pills? Can you recommend any other authentic source? Dr Dhonden did warn me against inferior sources. Especially from some of the little clinics around Dharamsala.

About 12 years ago I actually had some that were made by Khenpo Troru Tsenam, but they are long used.

Thanks,

s."
Precious pills last for centuries, properly made

They should be fine. I know the both the former head pharmacist of Mentsee khang and one of their senior doctors.

There are better ones made in Tibetan by the Jiumai (jigmed) company in Xining, but they will be hard to get now in EU.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek, :)

Yes like Namdrol wrote, we will get a hard time with the import of herbs / precious pills / TCM patent pills here in the Netherlands c.q. Europe.
Further can these TCM pills be stored for about 3 - 5 years.
I import my medicine normally out of China ( patent pills) and can help my patients very good with these herbal pills.
But what to do at the moment, in case of a prohibition, i have no idea.
Maybe one of you has some smart suggestions? That would be welcome

Then in case that a smoke like weed/pot could be a medicine then it could be used. I guess that to smooke it is permitted, but if it would then be a medical subject, so that it would be allowed in TCM and TTM, i don't know.

Best wishes for our practice
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek, :)

Yes like Namdrol wrote, we will get a hard time with the import of herbs / precious pills / TCM patent pills here in the Netherlands c.q. Europe.
I import my medicine normally out of China ( patent pills) and can help my patients very good with these herbal pills.

Then in case that a smoke like weed/pot could be a medicine then it could be used. I guess that to smooke it is permitted, but if it would then be a medical subject, so that it would be allowed in TCM and TTM, i don't know.

KY
It is difficult. Going underground may be the only way.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Namdrol wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek, :)

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_herbal_medicine_ban/?copy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KY
It is difficult. Going underground may be the only way.

Tashi delek Namdrol, :)

We have made a score from 715.000 votes. With 1000.000 we have a chance that the EU parliament will made up their minds.
Well maybe the legal one could be here a good chance to win from the pharma maffia.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_herbal_medicine_ban/?copy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes with our practice
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thanks Namdrol. I will stick with Men Tsee Khang. I have found the pills very beneficial.

Best wishes.

s.
s.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Caz wrote:Precious human life anyone ? Now who would want to waste a single moment of it or create the causes for it to shorten when we've got an oppertunity to learn and practise Dharma ? :shrug:
Who? You would. You drink beer don't you? And how's the old cholesterol intake lately? Been getting plenty of exercise? Hmmmm?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Catmoon,
thank you. In most places now smokers are treated worse than heroin addicts. Usually by people slamming down a beer while munching on a Mc Rib. Please. We all have our demons to deal with. Part of the Path.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Fa Dao wrote:Catmoon,
thank you. In most places now smokers are treated worse than heroin addicts. Usually by people slamming down a beer while munching on a Mc Rib. Please. We all have our demons to deal with. Part of the Path.
I certainly don't advocate treating smokers or anyone badly, but it's not hard to understand why it happens: a lot of smokers are assholes about their smoking. Now I'm not assuming you are one of these people, or saying all smokers are; I'm sure there are plenty of considerate smokers. But so many smokers are indignant when non-smokers suggest they have a right not to have to breathe in smoke, so this has prejudiced people against smokers in general. Once a smoker leaves his or her home, that person has entered a public space where we all have to breathe the same air. I understand that smokers either don't care that smoking is unhealthy or maybe some are in denial, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but non-smokers should not have to breathe that shit. People who want to smoke outside of their homes should be forced to wear some sort of bubble or suit that totally contains the smoke.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

I have allergies, and sometimes people's perfume makes my eyes water, so much so that i can identify 'scent wakes' of the stuff my eyes do not like. If i suggested that we ban perfumes, it would not go over.

I've no problem with folks smoking in public, as long as they have the decency to stop if someone asks them too, nicely, w/o being a jerk about it.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
I certainly don't advocate treating smokers or anyone badly, but it's not hard to understand why it happens: a lot of smokers are assholes about their smoking. Now I'm not assuming you are one of these people, or saying all smokers are; I'm sure there are plenty of considerate smokers. But so many smokers are indignant when non-smokers suggest they have a right not to have to breathe in smoke, so this has prejudiced people against smokers in general. Once a smoker leaves his or her home, that person has entered a public space where we all have to breathe the same air. I understand that smokers either don't care that smoking is unhealthy or maybe some are in denial, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but non-smokers should not have to breathe that shit. People who want to smoke outside of their homes should be forced to wear some sort of bubble or suit that totally contains the smoke.
By the same reasoning then bikers should be able to demand car owners to drive inside a bubble like that! :lol:

Smoking is really nasty and does nothing for one's health. Still, many smokers do it because they are addicted and have a hard time stopping. Some want and try to stop with little success (by many reasons, the main being lack of professional counseling).

I think we have a good law here in Portugal. You can't smoke in closed public spaces (restaurants, shops, any public building) unless there's an area with the due extraction that restricts smoke to it.

What I think is that cigarettes should be forbidden. Don't alarm yourselves, my smoker friends. You wouldn't stop cold turkey overnight. In fact, stopping would be optional. My concern addresses mainly those who do not yet smoke. There's a general hypocrisy surrounding this issue by many governments, because they have a fat revenue in taxes because of tobacco. Smokers should go to their doctors and receive a declaration of sorts that would allow them to supply themselves. Quiting would be their option. So these people could keep on smoking in their private spaces or in the open, while being advised on methods for quiting the addiction. The whole cool image about the act of smoking would be shattered and that could work with youngsters. You need a doctor's order to supply your addiction and that is so because you are sick. Addiction to tobacco or any other nefarious and useless substance can easily be considered a sickness. How cool is that? Not much, I think.
As tobacco doesn't have special psychotropic effects, the risk of a black market arising wouldn't be significant. Usually I am against prohibition, but in this case I think it wouldn't do much harm and the number of new smokers would decrease. One doesn't get high by smoking tobacco, so it wouldn't worth the risk.
Methods and medical help to quit smoking should be free (at least in countries with Public National Healthcare, like most in Europe).

I'm convinced this system would decrease tremendously the number of smokers in a few generations. Anyone cares to point some flaws in this little formulation?
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I was surprised to read recently that cigarette companies in India (I think that's where it was) are putting warning messages on the packages about donating the cigarettes to monks. The article also had a picture of a monk in yellow robes smoking a cigarette. I've heard of certain monks smoking pot before, but I was surprised to learn that cigarettes are a big enough problem among monks that this is necessary.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

padma norbu wrote:I was surprised to read recently that cigarette companies in India (I think that's where it was) are putting warning messages on the packages about donating the cigarettes to monks. The article also had a picture of a monk in yellow robes smoking a cigarette. I've heard of certain monks smoking pot before, but I was surprised to learn that cigarettes are a big enough problem among monks that this is necessary.
Was it Buddhist monks or Hindu sadhus?

The latter are known to smoke weed.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

From the Dhammapada:

253. If a man looks after the faults of others, and is always inclined to be offended, his own passions will grow, and he is far from the destruction of passions.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

^
Platform Sutra
Chapter II. On Prajna
http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhi ... neng2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He who treads the Path in earnest

Sees not the mistakes of the world;

If we find fault with others

We ourselves are also in the wrong.

When other people are in the wrong, we should ignore it,

For it is wrong for us to find fault.

By getting rid of the habit of fault-finding

We cut off a source of defilement.

When neither hatred nor love disturb our mind

Serenely we sleep.
It’s eye blinking.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

thank you. In most places now smokers are treated worse than heroin addicts.
I think that's very true.
Usually by people slamming down a beer while munching on a Mc Rib.
Life does come with it's ironies.

Another thing I find ironic is that while laws are are being formulating and passed to do everything against smokers and smoking but making it flat-out illegal, they do everything they can to fill the air we breathe full of noxious chemicals and other particulates that everyone has to breathe 24 hours a day and even in our sleep. They don't do a damned thing about that.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Chaz wrote:
thank you. In most places now smokers are treated worse than heroin addicts.
I think that's very true.
Usually by people slamming down a beer while munching on a Mc Rib.
Life does come with it's ironies.

Another thing I find ironic is that while laws are are being formulating and passed to do everything against smokers and smoking but making it flat-out illegal, they do everything they can to fill the air we breathe full of noxious chemicals and other particulates that everyone has to breathe 24 hours a day and even in our sleep. They don't do a damned thing about that.
And they should. People can quit smoking, but they can't quit breathing.
the salt in the soup

Post by the salt in the soup »

rai wrote:Hi all,

What is Tibetan Buddhism approach towards smoking tobacco. Please write whatever you've heard or read. I am struggling with casual smoking and need some good motivation to give up completely. I've read HH Dudjom Rinpoche' teachings on smoking tobacco but 1) I saw it on Aro website and i am not sure is it authentic or not and 2) the description of the plant are more like a Opium not tobacco, maybe someone read it in Tibetan and could confirm.

Thanks,

Rai
Two points, if you are struggling with it, its no longer casual.

Tho i no longer smoke compulsively, maybe one a week or less, i can tell you from experience, that even one cigarette changes your breathing. I notice it when i practice next and can tell that my breathing is different. Dont underestimate the effect of even one cigarette on your practice.

Return to “Nyingma”