Cancer in Tibetan Medicine

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
rai

Cancer in Tibetan Medicine

Post by rai »

Dear Namdrol,

Could you please write something about causes and conditions of cancer according to Tibetan Medicine? Is cancer mainly caused by provocations from one of the 8 classes?

Thank you!

Rai
Malcolm

Re: Cancer in Tibetan Medicine

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:Dear Namdrol,

Could you please write something about causes and conditions of cancer according to Tibetan Medicine? Is cancer mainly caused by provocations from one of the 8 classes?

Thank you!

Rai

Cancers, according to common Tibetan medicine, are mainly caused by maldigestion, injuries and disturbances of the humors.

However, there are another class of cancers that are caused by nāgas and so on. So it depends on the type of cancer. Malignant cancers are often considered to be driven by provocations.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:Malignant cancers are often considered to be driven by provocations.
What are provocations?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
rai

Post by rai »

Namdrol wrote:
Cancers, according to common Tibetan medicine, are mainly caused by maldigestion, injuries and disturbances of the humors.

However, there are another class of cancers that are caused by nāgas and so on. So it depends on the type of cancer. Malignant cancers are often considered to be driven by provocations.
Would any wrathful yidam practice be a ultimate panacea for all negative provocations or it should be particular deity connected to the class which caused the provocation? For example would you advise someone who is doing practice of Hayagriva to do additional practice of Red Garuda if he has being diagnosed with cancer?

Thank you again!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Malignant cancers are often considered to be driven by provocations.
What are provocations?

Kirt

When nāgas and so on are provoked, they respond by inflicting illnesses.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Would any wrathful yidam practice be a ultimate panacea for all negative provocations or it should be particular deity connected to the class which caused the provocation? For example would you advise someone who is doing practice of Hayagriva to do additional practice of Red Garuda if he has being diagnosed with cancer?

Thank you again!
Guru Dragphur is a kitchen sink deity for all. Otherwise, Red Garuda is best.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:
kirtu wrote:
What are provocations?

Kirt

When nāgas and so on are provoked, they respond by inflicting illnesses.
Do the nagas inflict illness on specific people for things they have done or on people less generally in a region or on all people everywhere?

Then how can people pacify the nagas?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Do the nagas inflict illness on specific people for things they have done or on people less generally in a region or on all people everywhere?

Then how can people pacify the nagas?

Kirt

Nāgā provocations are pretty random. If you live in an area where there is severe environmental contamination, nāgā diseases can be wide spread.

If someone thinks they have a problem with nāgā there are many things one can do. There are special nāgā pujas, one can practice garuda,etc.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Are nāgā of the same quality as preta? In that they are non-physical?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Huseng wrote:Are nāgā of the same quality as preta? In that they are non-physical?

Nāgās basically belong to the animal realm. They are shaped like frogs, snakes, fish and tadpoles. They are water spirits. In Tibetan medicine, native tibetan ideas about them had intersected with Indian ideas.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Namdrol wrote:
Huseng wrote:Are nāgā of the same quality as preta? In that they are non-physical?

Nāgās basically belong to the animal realm. They are shaped like frogs, snakes, fish and tadpoles. They are water spirits. In Tibetan medicine, native tibetan ideas about them had intersected with Indian ideas.
Sounds a lot like the Chinese concept of "dragons" or long 龍 as they are called in Chinese. Some translators used long 龍 when translating nāgā in the past.

In the Chinese concept long 龍 can be responsible for rains, floods and other aqua-related phenomena such as hurricanes. Traditionally rural people would maintain shrines to the local dragon king. I'm unaware if Chinese Medicine ever identified them as provocative entities causing disease. Still, the resemblance is noteworthy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Huseng wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Sounds a lot like the Chinese concept of "dragons" or long 龍 as they are called in Chinese. Some translators used long 龍 when translating nāgā in the past.

In the Chinese concept long 龍 can be responsible for rains, floods and other aqua-related phenomena such as hurricanes. Traditionally rural people would maintain shrines to the local dragon king. I'm unaware if Chinese Medicine ever identified them as provocative entities causing disease. Still, the resemblance is noteworthy.

it is similar.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Namdrol wrote:

i used to catch a lot of these when i was young, now old and with cancer....lol

by oneself is wrong done........
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Heruka wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

i used to catch a lot of these when i was young, now old and with cancer....lol

by oneself is wrong done........
Same here. Get older. Get cancer. Fund your Oncologist's Porsche. Laugh about it.

In my case I'm fortunate in that I've got a very low-grade Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

THis thread is facinating for me. Knowing how Tibetan medicine views the causes of diseases is helpful, but what I'd like to know is this:

What does Tibetan medicine do about cancers? I'm pretty sure it doesn't resort to chemo or radiation therapy, but after that....

Namdrol, can you elaborate?

PS: I'm not looking for a diagnosis or recommendations about a particular course of therapy. I'd only expect that from my doctor. General info, if any can be given, is what I'm after.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Are nagas real?

We can say that ufo are real for example, or even ghosts, since we have evidences (pictures, testemonials, etc), but could we say the same about nagas??
muni

Post by muni »

May all practices now be dedicated to our dear and precious sick brothers and sisters. :buddha1:
muni

Post by muni »

some info. http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
rai wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Thank you again!
Guru Dragphur is a kitchen sink deity for all. Otherwise, Red Garuda is best.
What about practice of Kilaya?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek, :)

- Is cancer seen in TTM as a heat disease?
- Can certain demons also be responsible for the spreading of cancer?
- Is the personal mentality also seen in TTM as a cause for cancer?
- Is there also a ritual for eliminating cancer , maybe Red Garuda?
- What is the TTM medicine, against all kind of cancers?
- Is cancer also wellknown inside the Tibetan culture or is it mainly in the western world spread?

Best wishes
KY
The best meditation is no meditation

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”