Mindfulness in everyday's life

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Mindfulness in everyday's life

Postby LastLegend » Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm

So if you don't endorse the feelings/sensations of pleasures or suffering/pain like happiness and anger. If you don't also endorse anything else that arises from the 3 karma of body, speech, and mind...then you must be in the moment of peace. How can you keep this moment of peace? How can you keep the dust not alight (in reference to Hui Neng's poem)? Well, Buddha said there is a thief who will steal all of your things if you can't recognize who he is. Things in this case is peace. If you can recognize whatever that disturbs your peace, will you let it go or try to follow it. In order to help let it go you have to remember or memorize another mantra. So immediately reciting a mantra is the opposite of reciting whatever that disturbs you. Why? because you have taken refuge in Buddha-Dharma-Sangha or Awakened-Truth-Purity, and whatever you recite must be within Awakened-Truth-Purity. You can use Awakened-Truth-Purity as your mantra also. I personally use Namo Amitabha as my mantra.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Re: Mindfulness in everyday's life

Postby ground » Tue May 17, 2011 5:59 am

I guess many practitioners have some sort of symbol like a mantra (in a broader sense). May be some sort of visualisation too. It is simply because not-knowing is so powerful and ubiquitous. I find spontaneous visualisations of the Buddha very helpful.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Quiet Heart » Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 am

:tongue:
I don't disagree with what you say....but I prefer to speak of "Mindfulness" is in this way.

When you awake, awake in the Buddha Mind.
When you sleep, sleep in the Buddha Mind.
When you Eat, Eat with the Buddha Mind.
and so on.

No, I didn't make that up myself. It's something I read, but I can't remeber who first said it...and right now I'm to lazy to go and look it up.
Don't worry, I'm sure somebody will soon post a reply and tell me exactly where it came from.
You can just read that post if you're really interested.
I just wanted to say that what I just described is my conception of "mindfulness" or being "mindful" is.
I didn't say I can or always do it, just that it was my conception of "Mindfulness".
:smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Quiet Heart

Postby LastLegend » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

That's more of the result than the means my friend. The means is to practice as I suggested always reciting or having Amitabha in mind.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Return to Personal Experience