Oops! Rapture fails to materialize.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
rose
Site Admin

Oops! Rapture fails to materialize.

Post by rose »

"Apocalypse not right now: 'Rapture' end of world fails to materialise"

Inhabitants of New Zealand, scheduled to be among the first to meet the apocalypse according to a US fundamentalist preacher, this morning confirmed they were still in existence as the appointed time was reached in their time zone.

There were also unconfirmed reports that Tonga has, thus far, failed to boil into the Pacific. ..
Telegraph UK article here.

Regards,
rt
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Oops! Rapture fails to materialize.

Post by Huseng »

8 minutes to 6pm Japan time. :o
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Not dead yet.
Caz

Post by Caz »

:soapbox: = :rolleye:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote:8 minutes to 6pm Japan time. :o
It's set for 6pm US East Coast time.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

kirtu wrote:

Kirt
So ... you still alive Kirt?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Actually this Rapture-End notion has two parts.

The old chap in Oakland, California preaches that at 6pm Pacific time, the true believers (144,000 or so) will disappear from earth and go straight to heaven. The rest of us will not be destroyed until October. Whether that means we non-believers will die off rapidly until the last one is dead in October or October will produce a mass die-off of all non-believers at one time - I do not know.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Huseng wrote:
kirtu wrote:

Kirt
So ... you still alive Kirt?
6pm East Coast time is in 4 1/2 hrs. But anyway WIll says it's 6pm Pacific time ....

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Will wrote:Actually this Rapture-End notion has two parts.

The old chap in Oakland, California preaches that at 6pm Pacific time, the true believers (144,000 or so) will disappear from earth and go straight to heaven. The rest of us will not be destroyed until October. Whether that means we non-believers will die off rapidly until the last one is dead in October or October will produce a mass die-off of all non-believers at one time - I do not know.
it's very curious. The main rapture-millenium doctrine is rapture of Christians followed by seven years of terrible time on earth followed by the second coming of Jesus with rule established in Jerusalem. Usually in this sequence Armagedon is set in the last few months of the seven year period and Jesus puts an end to the war as a result if his return. There are other sequences but I've never heard of rapture followed by destruction in just a few months. The seven years of tribulation is a kind of show trial where humanity demonstrates that it is totally evil and in dire need of salvation through Jesus.

So, anyway ....

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Beam me up scotty :alien:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: the true believers (144,000 or so) will disappear from earth and go straight to heaven.
If you read the bible literally, that 144,000 comes from 12,000 true believers from each of the 12 tribes of Israel.

Which to me, seems to mean that virtually none of the Christians today would be saved anyway. It would be reserved just for people with Jewish ethnicity who have accepted Christ as their savior. There is a group known as 'Jews for Jesus' so I guess they would be saved, but from the way Revelations reads, no one else, not even the bible-thumping ministers who preach Rapture.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Always struck me funny a bit....especially the bumper stickers about 10 years or so ago popular in that crowd...

In case of rapture be advised this car will be unmanned, or something to that effect....

so how compassionate I thought...driving my car in a school zone at time of rapture and unmanned it then kills or injures hundreds of kids..

What a compassionate idea for a god to effect. That and leaving many behind to suffer in great ways.....demon is what I would call it and such worship demon worship. Which I am biased to think that thing is all about....their god being a narcisist who requires worship above all. So worried it be, it does not exist....all must worship it.
Call it by the name such things are rightly called....demons.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Luke

Post by Luke »

If nothing else, "end of the world" predictions help religions and religious groups get a lot of publicity.

Unfortunately, Buddhism's assertion that time is endless and beginingless doesn't lead to such eye-catching headlines...

Although the headline "Proof of Rebirth" would be quite eye-catching!
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Well there appears present sometimes proof of reincarnation.
Various books and things can be found that point that out, quite conclusively. A child in india, a soldier reincarnated in england, a woman tragically seperated from her family of children by illness, things of that sort. Not very many certainly but there nevertheless.
The reincarnations of some like HHDL seem to point to that as well.

Totally aside from the fact rationally it can be shown quite probable.

We care to not see that, certainly not in a theistallly slanted media. Such things though maybe once commonplace in their religions have now been fervently disallowed. Their whole religion is based on individuality soul final judgement and things of that sort that conflict with such notions. Once in the teacher Buddha's time it was so commonplace as to be considered a known thing.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

was the rapture pushed/hyped to discredit christianity?
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

I don't hink so.

Mainstream christianity says generally none of those things. As vehicle some of it is quite sophisiticated. Those..... that subshoot are demon worshippers, nothing more, not mainstream christians.
Mainstream media seems to generally reinforce christianity. Mainstream christianity is generally not reported against. In my local community I came accross once a list of religious officials subject to litigation for various abuses...it was quite quite long. Media had no such represetation of that. Isolated very few was the coverage. Covered to a degree but not matching the degree present in that thing.

For example...
Always part and parcel of the standard media on disastors is the part which shows how ones faith in god has been so rewarded. AS in it could have been much worse, by some miracle more were not killed. Or as christians we must help those so damaged, I have now been saved for some theistic reason and on and on.
Pat coverage always has those things.

So no generally national media media of a theistic country reaffirms those beliefs by displayal. Watch disater coverage..you will see it in multiplicity. But one example..... may be found others.
Watch half a hour of national media coverage....theism will be affirmed many times.

There is various competitions of a sort within the theiistic religious community. Catholics/Methodists. others, for instance may find such notions totally absurd and thusly be inclined perhaps to voice against such a thing. Could that find media representation, as in...lets show these fundamentalists for what they are...stupid. I'd say that is a probable.
I'd say

I have personally watched chinese national media at times and found actually a strong anti theravadan bias, as chinese buddhists generally turn that way is my presumption, which forms a part of their viewship. Such is US media generally favorable or unfavorable by majority constituancy to certain groups and disfavorable to others.But antichristian....no. As national media recently at least in china no longer antibuddhist generally(gone to a degree is the overall censorship of buddhism). Media is not necessarily representing a equal view but what sells to a majority. Meida may be similiar overall in that characteristic it seems.

Media wise I'd say romantic love is the only ideological alternative one will find presents generally and consistantly in american view. One tends to abscribe or attach the other and not conflict so it is allowed. A christian may be romantically in love as a romantic lover may be a christian. There is not a inbred conflict. Music and film tend to the romantic generally. Reporting a mixture.

Almost invariable despite theme is a romantic conclusion to film in american media. Movies almost all actually made by large studios with financial backing... always end up affirmations of romantic love or variant of romantic love(response to), though plot line may be quite differing. Makes for quite a unsatisfactory restricted purpose to things by my take.

Alternative media occasionally presenting with other, mostly in documentary form,but sometimes not. Rarely does your average american see anything not made by mainstream backing and support...as a bit of a aside.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

ronnewmexico wrote:I don't hink so.

So no generally national media media of a theistic country reaffirms those beliefs by displayal. Watch disater coverage..you will see it in multiplicity. But one example..... may be found others.
Watch half a hour of national media coverage....theism will be affirmed many times.
ok, good point.

But antichristian
not so sure on this one Ron, i think we could point out many examples of US TV that goes 180 against christian family priciples.

Rarely does your average american see anything not made by mainstream backing and support...as a bit of a aside.

Agreed.

I beleive that the source for this modern raputre comes from a US radio talk show, an interpretation of the visions described in the book of Daniel.
Which if one reads, it is quite revolutionary and anti establishment, to radical for mainstream christians with the whole narative of todays christian message of lay down G.I. christian soldier and render unto caesar!

or a
Romans 13...

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

no wonder it was hyped to fail.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Well we can't say absolutely as their are exceptions. One springs to mind..... a movie, a classical Shakesperian tragedy actually, not made by mainstream houses nor funding for such, EAsy Rider, from the sixties point of view became main stream. So one example is present readily available. The nuances to things in the past(time of Shakespere) being beyond the simplistic ideology presented in american film today. A hero in that movie made a moral mistake...he sold dope to a dealer. He finds freedom but dies as result. Right out of shakespere.

Generally two competing ideologies are present which occasionally may be in obvious contradiction...the romantic and the christian theist view.
The romantic may have many many multiple offshoots as may the theistic. What appears as contradictory to the general themes are generally not but nuances upon the theme. Direct contradicitons.....say finding a hero wanting to be a romantic and finding theism in their way...not to common. Or the inverse a hero wanting to be christian but finding romantic interest in their way....also not to common.

Family values.....well that's a particular nuance to the thing of theism. A seemingly antitheistic way of life almost always having a oppositional romantic tilt to it. Are these two ideologies occasionally in apparent conflict....yes occasionally. But always are present these two ideologies and variance allowed only within the context of these two ideologies. Mostly however they do work together. Pretty simplistic really if you look at all competing ideologies over time, even majority ideology on a national basis may be quite sophisticated at times.
The buddhas time per example...a period of very very different presentations of ideology with abscribers of large proportions to each.
Now in america.....mainly only simplistic views with nuances present within those simplistic views.
That is what media generally represents.

Keep in mind, the term "family values" is really a fairly recent addition to christian ideology in many forms of christianity. More fundamentally framed is that thing. Not necessarily part and parcel of every christian identity. So again one finds conflict within general ideology. A Presbytrian for instance may not abscribe to such a term, where a baptist may find it absolutely essential. So we have variance in ideology but within the basic frame work of christianity.
Go forth and propogate...that is the fundamental ideological basis. The actuality has many variancxes, the application.
So application wise we have variance. So with similiarity there is romantic variance as well. The fundamental basis however go forth and propogate and romantic falling in love very similiar. Thus rarely in overt contradiction. It wouldn't sell I'm relatively sure is the thinking. As would not sell are things not within the context of those two ideologies.

But national media as in this example being against christianity....as stated no not a whit. Against this variance in christianity I'd say.
A fundmenatlist view of this extreme is a threat to status quo. Christian fundmentalists of this ilk really do want armegedon to arise and things to go bad. That is plain and simple not a majority christian view and most could easily see may be fraught with danger personally nationally and globablly.
So make fun of those that hold in this camp of extreme fundamentalism....sure I'd bet they do. Is that making fun of christianity...no not a whit few christians perceive it that way. The pulpits in the roman catholic churces will resound with priests telling their masses not to devow christianity but to know without a single doubt our form of christianity says as per verse and chapter...the words of christ are stateing no person may know a date or time to this thing, not one singular person.....and thusly our form of christianity is true and theirs is quite false.

I guarantee some variance of that is what all are being told this sunday in america. Those of not that particular extreme fundamentalist view..which is the vast vast majority. At all levels I'd say however simplistic overall is their ideology most christians see the real danger to fundamentalist extreemist views.
National medias representation of those as being faulted and silly plays to the majority view.
If taken as a threat to christianity no reporting of this would be allowed with the possible exception of very few large more secular places in the US.

Just reading over the brahamajala sutta(theravadan not the m, Braham net sutra) I find something like 106 differing ideological viewpoints explained away by the teacher Buddha. Imagine living in a time of such widely known ideological variance that bore comment upon by a religous teacher of the day. In america today perhaps people may know of about six or so competiting ideologies on these matters of life(though general adhereance is to but two or so). Such a commentary by a buddha in the today of america would approximate six or so of those seemingly. Why mention any others if no one knew of any
others.
A good read that is.

Return to “Lounge”