YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Theravada and Compassion - Dhamma Wheel

Theravada and Compassion

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Luke

Theravada and Compassion

Postby Luke » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm

I am about half-way through the book "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Previously, I had always regarded Theravada texts as being cold, analytical, boring, and full of irritating repetition. Although I am still fighting against those impressions of mine, I have found many particularly beautiful and inspiring passages in this book. My favorite part so far is this passage:
Here, monks, some person dwells pervading one quarter with a mind imbued with compasssion, likewise the second quarter, the third, and the fourth. Thus above, below, across and everywhere, and to all as to himself, he dwells pervading the entire world with a mind imbued with compassion, vast, exalted, measureless, without hostility, without ill will. He relishes it, takes a liking to it, and is thrilled by it.(page 216)

I found this part incredibly inspiring. This is like the compassion manifesto. I give it two Mahayana thumbs up! :twothumbsup:

Does anyone else know of any other Theravada teachings on compassion and loving-kindness?

Cittasanto

Re: Theravada and Compassion

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:27 pm

You might also like this study guide on the Brahma-vihara (Not sure if this is part of Mahayana? If so, you'll probably find it repetitive, but you might like it anyway).

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... html#basic
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello Luke,

I love this inspiring audio of the chant from Amaravati Theravada Monastery of the Brahma Viharas Metta; Karuna; Mudita; Upekkha
http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/bvra.php

Suttas and articles on the Brahmavihara (Divine abodes; sublime states).
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... ahmavihara

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Lovely Chris, thank you.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm

_/|\_

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”