Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Fa Dao wrote:
Namdrol,
for those of us not as well versed in Dzogchen would you mind explaining some of the terminology? for example:
"tridlung of Short Thun practice" and
"Ati Guru Yoga" how is this different from regular Guru Yoga?



Trilung = khrid lung i.e. an oral transmission of a basic short practice which includes refuge, guru yoga, deity yoga practice, dedication, etc.

Ati guru yoga means a kind of Guru yoga done in the most essential way. It differs from regular guru yoga in that it is the most essential possible guru yoga apart from being in the state of the realization of the guru.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 493
Very nice...thanks for your help

_________________
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
Fa Dao wrote:
Anyone know when the texts for this will be posted?

I don't know but you should know that in general the texts posted are in Tibetan.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
Does Rinpoche usually give the lung for the Song of the Vajra during these types of teachings?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Does Rinpoche usually give the lung for the Song of the Vajra during these types of teachings?



Always

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 592
That was a nice introduction (the part I was able to see). Looking forward to tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Posts: 2755
Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while, but reloading the page fixed it. When the video really freezes, one can open audio at another tab and keep listening, while trying to reload the video page. I don't know if this was your problem, but when it happens that's how I usually solve it. :smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 592
No, no problem. Wasn't able to leave work earlier than 1 hr. before the end of webacst. So I saw the last part. Tomorrow I will be there for the whole session and try the rest of the week as well.
Did he say anything about Direct Introduction?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
Clarence wrote:
No, no problem. Wasn't able to leave work earlier than 1 hr. before the end of webacst. So I saw the last part. Tomorrow I will be there for the whole session and try the rest of the week as well.
Did he say anything about Direct Introduction?

The topics were introduced and a general overview was given today (im pretty sure, I lost my connection before the end).
Tomorrow will have transmissions etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
Hey guys, so the next session is 10am-12pm Crimea time, correct?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Hey guys, so the next session is 10am-12pm Crimea time, correct?

Yes. :smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
Thanks Nangwa! Will be tuning in. Just checked the files page on the webcast site and they haven't posted the text associated with these teachings. Have any of you DC members received it somehow and can you pass it on if you have?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Thanks Nangwa! Will be tuning in. Just checked the files page on the webcast site and they haven't posted the text associated with these teachings. Have any of you DC members received it somehow and can you pass it on if you have?

I haven't seen it yet.
It might take a couple more days but they will get it up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 592
I listened this morning and then had to work, but I wanted to say that I was very impressed and inspired by his teaching. He really goes to the core and clarifies why he teaches Dzogchen the way he does. I also enjoyed his Mirror and Chrystal explanations. They helped clear up some confusion I had.
I look forward to tomorrow's webcast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Posts: 600
Location: kent
Namdrol wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:
Namdrol,
for those of us not as well versed in Dzogchen would you mind explaining some of the terminology? for example:
"tridlung of Short Thun practice" and
"Ati Guru Yoga" how is this different from regular Guru Yoga?



Trilung = khrid lung i.e. an oral transmission of a basic short practice which includes refuge, guru yoga, deity yoga practice, dedication, etc.

Ati guru yoga means a kind of Guru yoga done in the most essential way. It differs from regular guru yoga in that it is the most essential possible guru yoga apart from being in the state of the realization of the guru.

N



is ati guru yoga part of short thun practice?
If this ati guru yoga is the most essential possible guru yoga then is it enough that one does only this type of guru yoga? i take "most essential possible" to mean most important...is that correct?

is the short thun practice a kind of preliminary type of practice?
i must admit that i have difficulty in 1.understanding rinpoche and 2.understanding where would these practices fit in?

i still see things in a kind of gradual fashion and all my questions stem from this ..
At what point one does this thun practice?

thank you..

_________________
AOM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
alpha wrote:


is ati guru yoga part of short thun practice?



Yes. It is also a stand alone practice.

Quote:
If this ati guru yoga is the most essential possible guru yoga then is it enough that one does only this type of guru yoga? i take "most essential possible" to mean most important...is that correct?


Yes. It is sufficient.


Quote:
is the short thun practice a kind of preliminary type of practice?


No, it is a complete practice that integrates Ati yoga and Anuyoga. The medium and long thun integrate Mahayoga, Anuyoga and Atiyoga.

Quote:
i must admit that i have difficulty in 1.understanding rinpoche and 2.understanding where would these practices fit in?


You will get used to Rinpoche's English and his terminology over time. Primordial state = gzhi i.e.basis; presence = mindfulness, dran pa; instant presence, knowledge = rig pa. essence nature and energy = ngo bo, rang bzhin and thugs rjes.


Quote:
i still see things in a kind of gradual fashion and all my questions stem from this ..
At what point one does this thun practice?


Whenever you have more time. No time, White A; more time, short thun, even more time, medium thun, etc. There is no specific preliminary practice to do in Dzogchen Community. Perhaps one should learn how to sing song of the vajra properly. A sample practice might run -- purification mantra of five elements; guru yoga of white A and Song of the vajra, dedication. This is a pure Atiyoga practice. But Rinpoche has remarked there is no such a thing as "pure" Atiyoga. Why? Because practitioners have needs since we have dualistic vision. Therefore, we need things like Mandarava practice for long life, Garuda for cancer, etc. But the one thing that is indispensable is Guru Yoga of White A.

If you like gradual style, than I encourage you to study for the base level exam of Santi Mahāsangha. Obtain the book Precious Vase.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:29 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.
Quote:
Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while,

Ah, so there was a video problem then - I thought the 'cut out' was because it transferred to secret teachings rather than general at that point, so I turned it off! Silly me!
I tried to watch it - and got the begining where they were all getting ready and the first 50-55 minutes of the talk - at which point it froze and went black/blank. Even that short attempt to tune in was interupted - my dad woke up from his nap and was neing sick and so I had to hop downstairs for ten minutes... Oh well, it seems there are teachings given a couple of times a year - maybe next time, I will have better luck, not have a sick father and remember that tip on how to fix the video! :thanks:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Madeliaette wrote:
Quote:
Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while,

Ah, so there was a video problem then - I thought the 'cut out' was because it transferred to secret teachings rather than general at that point, so I turned it off! Silly me!
I tried to watch it - and got the begining where they were all getting ready and the first 50-55 minutes of the talk - at which point it froze and went black/blank. Even that short attempt to tune in was interupted - my dad woke up from his nap and was neing sick and so I had to hop downstairs for ten minutes... Oh well, it seems there are teachings given a couple of times a year - maybe next time, I will have better luck, not have a sick father and remember that tip on how to fix the video! :thanks:



There are teachings more than a couple times a year. So you listen tomorrow morning as well.

They never turn off camera during a webcast for that reason.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 592
Namdrol wrote:
Whenever you have more time. No time, White A; more time, short thun, even more time, medium thun, etc. There is no specific preliminary practice to do in Dzogchen Community. Perhaps one should learn how to sing song of the vajra properly. A sample practice might run -- purification mantra of five elements; guru yoga of white A and Song of the vajra, dedication. This is a pure Atiyoga practice. But Rinpoche has remarked there is no such a thing as "pure" Atiyoga. Why? Because practitioners have needs since we have dualistic vision. Therefore, we need things like Mandarava practice for long life, Garuda for cancer, etc. But the one thing that is indispensable is Guru Yoga of White A.

If you like gradual style, than I encourage you to study for the base level exam of Santi Mahāsangha. Obtain the book Precious Vase.


So, even just after today's teachings, if we become members of DC, we can start practicing the Semdzins, Lojongs and Rushens to take away all doubts? Is that what you would recommend for someone who is still unsure about Rigpa?
Do the booklets provide accurate enough descriptions of HOW to do them?

For example, with the Guru Yoga of the white A, is there a special place on visualises the A or not at all? I didn't completely understand that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Posts: 600
Location: kent
@Namdrol..

Thank you very much for clarification
That was very helpful .

_________________
AOM


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group