Kunsangar South Retreat with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Malcolm

Re: Kunsangar South Retreat with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:Namdrol,
for those of us not as well versed in Dzogchen would you mind explaining some of the terminology? for example:
"tridlung of Short Thun practice" and
"Ati Guru Yoga" how is this different from regular Guru Yoga?

Trilung = khrid lung i.e. an oral transmission of a basic short practice which includes refuge, guru yoga, deity yoga practice, dedication, etc.

Ati guru yoga means a kind of Guru yoga done in the most essential way. It differs from regular guru yoga in that it is the most essential possible guru yoga apart from being in the state of the realization of the guru.

N
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Very nice...thanks for your help
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Pero

Post by Pero »

Fa Dao wrote:Anyone know when the texts for this will be posted?
I don't know but you should know that in general the texts posted are in Tibetan.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Does Rinpoche usually give the lung for the Song of the Vajra during these types of teachings?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Does Rinpoche usually give the lung for the Song of the Vajra during these types of teachings?

Always
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

That was a nice introduction (the part I was able to see). Looking forward to tomorrow.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while, but reloading the page fixed it. When the video really freezes, one can open audio at another tab and keep listening, while trying to reload the video page. I don't know if this was your problem, but when it happens that's how I usually solve it. :smile:
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

No, no problem. Wasn't able to leave work earlier than 1 hr. before the end of webacst. So I saw the last part. Tomorrow I will be there for the whole session and try the rest of the week as well.
Did he say anything about Direct Introduction?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Clarence wrote:No, no problem. Wasn't able to leave work earlier than 1 hr. before the end of webacst. So I saw the last part. Tomorrow I will be there for the whole session and try the rest of the week as well.
Did he say anything about Direct Introduction?
The topics were introduced and a general overview was given today (im pretty sure, I lost my connection before the end).
Tomorrow will have transmissions etc.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hey guys, so the next session is 10am-12pm Crimea time, correct?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Hey guys, so the next session is 10am-12pm Crimea time, correct?
Yes. :smile:
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Thanks Nangwa! Will be tuning in. Just checked the files page on the webcast site and they haven't posted the text associated with these teachings. Have any of you DC members received it somehow and can you pass it on if you have?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Thanks Nangwa! Will be tuning in. Just checked the files page on the webcast site and they haven't posted the text associated with these teachings. Have any of you DC members received it somehow and can you pass it on if you have?
I haven't seen it yet.
It might take a couple more days but they will get it up there.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I listened this morning and then had to work, but I wanted to say that I was very impressed and inspired by his teaching. He really goes to the core and clarifies why he teaches Dzogchen the way he does. I also enjoyed his Mirror and Chrystal explanations. They helped clear up some confusion I had.
I look forward to tomorrow's webcast.
florin

Post by florin »

Namdrol wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Namdrol,
for those of us not as well versed in Dzogchen would you mind explaining some of the terminology? for example:
"tridlung of Short Thun practice" and
"Ati Guru Yoga" how is this different from regular Guru Yoga?

Trilung = khrid lung i.e. an oral transmission of a basic short practice which includes refuge, guru yoga, deity yoga practice, dedication, etc.

Ati guru yoga means a kind of Guru yoga done in the most essential way. It differs from regular guru yoga in that it is the most essential possible guru yoga apart from being in the state of the realization of the guru.

N

is ati guru yoga part of short thun practice?
If this ati guru yoga is the most essential possible guru yoga then is it enough that one does only this type of guru yoga? i take "most essential possible" to mean most important...is that correct?

is the short thun practice a kind of preliminary type of practice?
i must admit that i have difficulty in 1.understanding rinpoche and 2.understanding where would these practices fit in?

i still see things in a kind of gradual fashion and all my questions stem from this ..
At what point one does this thun practice?

thank you..
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

alpha wrote:

is ati guru yoga part of short thun practice?
Yes. It is also a stand alone practice.
If this ati guru yoga is the most essential possible guru yoga then is it enough that one does only this type of guru yoga? i take "most essential possible" to mean most important...is that correct?
Yes. It is sufficient.

is the short thun practice a kind of preliminary type of practice?
No, it is a complete practice that integrates Ati yoga and Anuyoga. The medium and long thun integrate Mahayoga, Anuyoga and Atiyoga.
i must admit that i have difficulty in 1.understanding rinpoche and 2.understanding where would these practices fit in?
You will get used to Rinpoche's English and his terminology over time. Primordial state = gzhi i.e.basis; presence = mindfulness, dran pa; instant presence, knowledge = rig pa. essence nature and energy = ngo bo, rang bzhin and thugs rjes.

i still see things in a kind of gradual fashion and all my questions stem from this ..
At what point one does this thun practice?
Whenever you have more time. No time, White A; more time, short thun, even more time, medium thun, etc. There is no specific preliminary practice to do in Dzogchen Community. Perhaps one should learn how to sing song of the vajra properly. A sample practice might run -- purification mantra of five elements; guru yoga of white A and Song of the vajra, dedication. This is a pure Atiyoga practice. But Rinpoche has remarked there is no such a thing as "pure" Atiyoga. Why? Because practitioners have needs since we have dualistic vision. Therefore, we need things like Mandarava practice for long life, Garuda for cancer, etc. But the one thing that is indispensable is Guru Yoga of White A.

If you like gradual style, than I encourage you to study for the base level exam of Santi Mahāsangha. Obtain the book Precious Vase.
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while,
Ah, so there was a video problem then - I thought the 'cut out' was because it transferred to secret teachings rather than general at that point, so I turned it off! Silly me!
I tried to watch it - and got the begining where they were all getting ready and the first 50-55 minutes of the talk - at which point it froze and went black/blank. Even that short attempt to tune in was interupted - my dad woke up from his nap and was neing sick and so I had to hop downstairs for ten minutes... Oh well, it seems there are teachings given a couple of times a year - maybe next time, I will have better luck, not have a sick father and remember that tip on how to fix the video! :thanks:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Madeliaette wrote:
Did you experience any problem? The video froze for a while,
Ah, so there was a video problem then - I thought the 'cut out' was because it transferred to secret teachings rather than general at that point, so I turned it off! Silly me!
I tried to watch it - and got the begining where they were all getting ready and the first 50-55 minutes of the talk - at which point it froze and went black/blank. Even that short attempt to tune in was interupted - my dad woke up from his nap and was neing sick and so I had to hop downstairs for ten minutes... Oh well, it seems there are teachings given a couple of times a year - maybe next time, I will have better luck, not have a sick father and remember that tip on how to fix the video! :thanks:

There are teachings more than a couple times a year. So you listen tomorrow morning as well.

They never turn off camera during a webcast for that reason.

N
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote: Whenever you have more time. No time, White A; more time, short thun, even more time, medium thun, etc. There is no specific preliminary practice to do in Dzogchen Community. Perhaps one should learn how to sing song of the vajra properly. A sample practice might run -- purification mantra of five elements; guru yoga of white A and Song of the vajra, dedication. This is a pure Atiyoga practice. But Rinpoche has remarked there is no such a thing as "pure" Atiyoga. Why? Because practitioners have needs since we have dualistic vision. Therefore, we need things like Mandarava practice for long life, Garuda for cancer, etc. But the one thing that is indispensable is Guru Yoga of White A.

If you like gradual style, than I encourage you to study for the base level exam of Santi Mahāsangha. Obtain the book Precious Vase.
So, even just after today's teachings, if we become members of DC, we can start practicing the Semdzins, Lojongs and Rushens to take away all doubts? Is that what you would recommend for someone who is still unsure about Rigpa?
Do the booklets provide accurate enough descriptions of HOW to do them?

For example, with the Guru Yoga of the white A, is there a special place on visualises the A or not at all? I didn't completely understand that.
florin

Post by florin »

@Namdrol..

Thank you very much for clarification
That was very helpful .

Return to “Europe”