Vajrapani and Vajrakilaya

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
conebeckham

Re: Vajrapani vs Vajrakilaya

Post by conebeckham »

Yep!
:smile:

ARe you familiar with the Zung recitations for these two? Often done first thing in the morning, after sitting down on one's cushion, during group practice....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
udyan

Post by udyan »

I appreciate everyone providing input to my questions, didn't expect so many people to reply. I understand that one enlightened deity encompasses all other deities. Vajrakilaya to me is an enlightened deity just like Vajrapani. So it seems they are similar in their activities of subjugating demons, which are both internal and external.
Is it right to assume that Vajrakilaya gives tough love and really cuts through the mind of a person that might be hard pill to swallow for some. While Vajrapani might take things little slower and make it easier for some to handle?
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Anyone here actually uses Vajrakilaya as deity?
CAW!
username

Post by username »

For most Nyingmapas, don't leave home without him.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

adinatha wrote:Anyone here actually uses Vajrakilaya as deity?
Many people.
adinatha

Post by adinatha »

Namdrol wrote:
Many people.
Cool
CAW!
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

many people see no vajrapani vs vajrakilaya, if one knows what i mean.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

As an interesting side note, Vajrapani in his wrathful form as a protector is also highly revered at the Shaolin temple
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

Of course.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
username

Post by username »

Heruka wrote:many people see no vajrapani vs vajrakilaya, if one knows what i mean.
Must stop these coincidences. One does as one has had a book by one's bedside for a while explaining just that! But then beyond being trapped in a collector's mindset or even without spelling it out ... for people without various empowerments or even lungs of either, suffices: Om-Ah-Hung
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
udyan

Re: Vajrapani and Vajrakilaya

Post by udyan »

Heruka wrote:many people see no vajrapani vs vajrakilaya, if one knows what i mean.
Sorry I didn't mean to put VS as to say which one better but rather for comparison, so I deleted VS from my subject. I meant to say as just like asking a mother to describe her two sons.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

udyan wrote:
Sorry I didn't mean to put VS as to say which one better but rather for comparison, so I deleted VS from my subject. I meant to say as just like asking a mother to describe her two sons.
many mothers on surface would say i love my two sons equally, yet in the heart, secretly loves the first born more....
username

Post by username »

Best to take it easy here, serious stuff, not just for us here but for many types of beings.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Fa Dao wrote:As an interesting side note, Vajrapani in his wrathful form as a protector is also highly revered at the Shaolin temple
That is quite interesting!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Talk about your zombie thread....
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”