Practice

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Practice

Postby LastLegend » Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 am

Here is what I came up with. Don't be me up :stirthepot:

I repeat this in my head everyday to remind myself not to get lost in the 3 karma of body, speech, and mind (3 poisons):

"I have taken refugee in Awakened-Truth-Purity (Buddha-Dharma-Sangha)"
"I have abandoned my refugee in the karma of body, speech, and mind"
"Everything I think and do will be within the the domain of Awakened-Truth-Purity"
"I will not let the 3 karma take control of me"

Karma of body, speech, and mind:

Body =1) Killing 2) Stealing 3) Sexual Misconduct
Speech= 1)Lies (not limited to big lies such as you claim to be enlightened when you are not. You do this to gain fame and wealth and such. You will lead people to the realm of hells and you will also lead yourself to the realm of hells) 2) Sweet talks to seduce or trick people 3) Speech/talks to create conflict among people or groups 4) Speech/talks that make others feel hurt, uncomfortable, in short talks that will bring suffering to others.
Mind=1) 3 poisons=1)Greed (all about indulging the body, obsession), 2)Anger, and 3)Ignorance

So 10 in total.

More about Triple Jewels viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4117
Last edited by LastLegend on Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Re: Practice

Postby ground » Thu May 12, 2011 4:54 am

LastLegend wrote:"I have taken refugee in Awakened-Truth-Purity (Buddha-Truth-Sangha)"
"I have abandoned my refugee in the karma of body, speech, and mind"
"Everything I think and do will be within the the domain of Awakened-Truth-Purity"
"I will not let the 3 karma take control of me"

Karma of body, speech, and mind:
So 10 in total.

That is very good.

Now the right way is the one that brings about perfection in abandoning the 10 obscurations.

And what is not relevant primarily in this context are:
... reports, ... legends, ... traditions, ... scripture, ... logical conjecture, ... inference, ... analogies, ... agreement through pondering views, ... probability, ... the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

What is exclusively relevant primarily is:
When you know for yourselves ...

... through what kind of methods/trainings perfection of ethics can be approached.

Everything else is irrelevant.
All other prefections will be accomplished simultaneously.
Why?
Because the three trainings ethics, concentration and wisdom are inseparable.

Kind regards
ground

Postby LastLegend » Thu May 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I will have to agree with you...but I want to give back to you that don't trust yourself too much, and as far as I know experience constitutes practice but not philosophical doubts and such. And lastly, in general people should not let the title of sectarianism in terms of Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana scare them away but they should look at the content, study it, and practice to see what works and what does not.

Thanks dawg
Last edited by LastLegend on Thu May 12, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Nosta » Thu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Great idea!

Can i post here my idea, that i use sometimes?

Well, sometimes is good to use your own body to remember the Dharma or the ten precepts for example.

For example, i use one of my left hand fingers to represent the "do not lie" precept and other finger to remember the "dont use «poison» speech" and so on; of course i must use also my right hand for other precepts lol. So, when i am about to lie, i will touch my "lie-finger" to be more aware or conscious about that specific fault. And i do the same with other precepts of course. In this way you will be more aware of your faults and me more aware of wich ones you commit the most (and that will give you the chance to dimnish such faults).

I am still trying to use this method and to improve it. For example, if you want to remember the 3 roots of evil (anger, desire, torpor) you may use, lets say, your neck, your right shoulder and your left shoulder.

This may sound as silly but it may be a way to help dull people like me to be more aware of Dharma and to remember the Dharma. :)

I must confess that i invented this method but i always forget to use it, but i think that at least i am more aware but some of my faults.
Nosta

Postby LastLegend » Thu May 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Cool man :twothumbsup:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby ground » Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

LastLegend wrote:And lastly, in general people should not let the title of sectarianism in terms of Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana scared them away but they should look at the content, study it, and practice to see what works and what does not.

Yes.

Kind regards
ground

Return to Personal Experience