Lankavatara Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Rinchen Dorje

Lankavatara Sutra

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Does anyone have the inside track on when Red Pine's translation will actually be coming out? Have been looking forward to this for a very long time.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
chihsung

Re: Lankavatara Sutra

Post by chihsung »

Manuscript was submitted to Counterpoint in April. Due out in hardback next January.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Wonderful to know, thank you!!
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Will it just be the root text or have some commentary?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Will,
just a guess but all of his other books have very nice commentary I am hoping this one does too. I have been waiting for this for a very long time. I am a big fan of his translations/commentaries
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

chihsung wrote:Manuscript was submitted to Counterpoint in April. Due out in hardback next January.
Hi Red Pine, thanks for registering on the forum. It would be a pleasure to have you participate and offer your insights wherever possible.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Huseng wrote:
chihsung wrote:Manuscript was submitted to Counterpoint in April. Due out in hardback next January.
Hi Red Pine, thanks for registering on the forum. It would be a pleasure to have you participate and offer your insights wherever possible.
Good spot on the username. Thrown a bit there by the Wade-Giles.

At any rate, allow me to echo Huseng's sentiment. And thanks for working on this translation. It's been long awaited. :smile:
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Chihsung IS Red Pine? Wade-giles threw me off too. well, dont I feel silly now. Seriously though...love your work. Hope you enjoy the site. Welcome
chihsung

Post by chihsung »

The translation is based on the Chinese of Gunabhadra (with references to variant readings by Bodhiruchi, Shikshananda, and the Sanskrit) and does not include the "Sagathakam". It should run about 400 pages, sixty percent text, forty percent notes and commentary. It is currently being checked for the more obvious gaffs by Paul Harrison at Stanford and Dan Lusthaus at Harvard. Just happened to be cruising the web and found your site. Look like a good one. Keep up the good work.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Excellent that you decided to go with the Gunabhadra/Song. Did you also not include the first Ravana chapter as well?
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Mr. Pine,

I just wanted to say that I really loved reading your translation of the Tao Te Ching when I was a teenager. It inspired me a great deal. I should read some of your other books--perhaps I'll buy this new book you're working on when it comes out. You rock!
chihsung

Post by chihsung »

Thanks for the encouragement Luke. You're really going to want to buy this book. It will surprise you. As for Fa Dao's question, Yes, I include the first chapter, which I have rendered based mostly on Bodhiruchi and Shikshananda but also on the Sanskrit. Its a composite and begins the book, which then segues into the Gunabhadra text with chapter two.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Sounds great!! I truly have been looking forward to this for years when you had mentioned in an interview that you would be doing it. I have used many of your translations for the Dharma classes I teach...specifically the Heart, Diamond, and Platform Sutras. In fact, if I am able I have been seriously thinking of trying to memorize the Lankavatara over a period of a few years as part of my practice. Just been waiting for your translation.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

chihsung wrote:The translation is based on the Chinese of Gunabhadra (with references to variant readings by Bodhiruchi, Shikshananda, and the Sanskrit) and does not include the "Sagathakam"...

What is this Sagathakam that is not included?
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Will wrote:What is this Sagathakam that is not included?
This: Sagathakam
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Astus wrote:
Will wrote:What is this Sagathakam that is not included?
This: Sagathakam
Many thanks Astus :bow:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I too look forward to this book (just happen to have The Zen Teaching Of Bodhidharma Trans. by Red Pine in front of me. One of the best books ever!) and am glad to see this topic here.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”