Meeting Naropa

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Meeting Naropa

Postby tamdrin » Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 pm

There is an interesting description of Nagtso-lotsawa's who studied in India and actually went to meet Naropa in Ronald Davidsons book Tibetan Renaissance...

"... I thought I would go see the Lord Naropa, since his reputation was so great. I went east from Mahadha for a month, as I had heard that the lord was staying in the monastery known as Phullahari. Very great merit arose from being able to go see him.
On the day I arrived, they said some feudal prince had come to pay homage. So I went to the spot, and a great throne had been erected. I sat right in front of it. The whole crowd started buzzing, "The lord is coming!" I looked and the lord was physically quite corpulent (stout or fat), with his white hair [stained with henna] bright red and a vermillion turban bound on top. He was being carried [on a palangquin] by four men and chewing betel leaf. I grabbed his feet and thought "I should listen to his pronouncements!" Stronger and stronger people, though, pushed me farther and farther from his seat, and finally I was tossed out of the crowd. So, there I saw the lord's face but I did not actully hear his voice"

interesting, no?
tamdrin

Re: Meeting Naropa

Postby heart » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

tamdrin wrote:There is an interesting description of Nagtso-lotsawa's who studied in India and actually went to meet Naropa in Ronald Davidsons book Tibetan Renaissance...

"... I thought I would go see the Lord Naropa, since his reputation was so great. I went east from Mahadha for a month, as I had heard that the lord was staying in the monastery known as Phullahari. Very great merit arose from being able to go see him.
On the day I arrived, they said some feudal prince had come to pay homage. So I went to the spot, and a great throne had been erected. I sat right in front of it. The whole crowd started buzzing, "The lord is coming!" I looked and the lord was physically quite corpulent (stout or fat), with his white hair [stained with henna] bright red and a vermillion turban bound on top. He was being carried [on a palangquin] by four men and chewing betel leaf. I grabbed his feet and thought "I should listen to his pronouncements!" Stronger and stronger people, though, pushed me farther and farther from his seat, and finally I was tossed out of the crowd. So, there I saw the lord's face but I did not actully hear his voice"

interesting, no?

Very, love that picture of him "physically quite corpulent, with his white hair [stained with henna] bright red and a vermillion turban bound on top".

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby tamdrin » Mon May 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah and chewing that betel leaf that stains your mouth all red too!
tamdrin

Postby heart » Mon May 09, 2011 8:56 pm

tamdrin wrote:Yeah and chewing that betel leaf that stains your mouth all red too!

:smile: strong picture indeed.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Return to Kagyu