Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby phantom59 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Event : Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche
Date : August 24 - September 4
Venue : Penang Manjusri Vihara Buddhist Society
Address : 242, Jalan Jelutung, Penang 11600, West Malaysia
Map :
http://maps.google.com/ (Keyin 42, Jalan Jelutong, Penang)
Website :
http://amitabhafoundation.us/wp-content ... vember.pdf

When asked which of the three is MOST important, Rinpoche replied, “…compassionate activity is at the heart of our practice. We can’t ignore it. It is absolutely vital.” Ayang Rinpoche is considered to be the world’s living Phowa master. A lineage-holder of both the Nyingma and Drikung Phowa he continues the unbroken line of succession of the Drikung Phowa lamas from Buddha Vajradhara.

Ayang Rinpoche was born into a nomadic family in eastern Tibet. A delegation of high lamas , including the Sixteenth Gyalwang Karmapa Rangjung Rigpe Dorje and Yongzin Jabra Rinpoche, concluded that he was the wisdom incarnation of Terton Rigzin Choegyal Dorje.
phantom59
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sat May 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for this notification phantom!
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sat May 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Can someone tell me what the "10 Level Buddha Amitabha" is?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Josef » Sat May 07, 2011 2:08 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Can someone tell me what the "10 Level Buddha Amitabha" is?

It could be the extensive Namcho Amitabha that he gives.
If so, its a really interesting practice.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I see, thanks Nangwa
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby phantom59 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Please note that location may change as larger venue may be offered
phantom59
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Choying Randrol » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm

The 10 levels of Buddha Amitabha practices are:
The 10 levels are as follow:
1. Pure Land
2. Accumulating merit
3. Sutra way
4. Kriya Tantra way
5. Chya Tantra way
6. Yoga Tantra way
7. Father Tantra way
8. Mother Tantra way
9. Special practice for long life
10. Union of Generation and Completion stage practice

These are the ten practice methods taught by Ayang Rinpoche as higher form of Buddha Amitabha meditation practice.
Choying Randrol
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sun May 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Choying Randrol wrote:The 10 levels of Buddha Amitabha practices are:
The 10 levels are as follow:
1. Pure Land
2. Accumulating merit
3. Sutra way
4. Kriya Tantra way
5. Chya Tantra way
6. Yoga Tantra way
7. Father Tantra way
8. Mother Tantra way
9. Special practice for long life
10. Union of Generation and Completion stage practice

These are the ten practice methods taught by Ayang Rinpoche as higher form of Buddha Amitabha meditation practice.


Thanks for that info Choying. Does one have to take the Phowa course before one can take this one?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Choying Randrol » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

mr. gordo wrote:
Choying Randrol wrote:The 10 levels of Buddha Amitabha practices are:
The 10 levels are as follow:
1. Pure Land
2. Accumulating merit
3. Sutra way
4. Kriya Tantra way
5. Chya Tantra way
6. Yoga Tantra way
7. Father Tantra way
8. Mother Tantra way
9. Special practice for long life
10. Union of Generation and Completion stage practice

These are the ten practice methods taught by Ayang Rinpoche as higher form of Buddha Amitabha meditation practice.


Thanks for that info Choying. Does one have to take the Phowa course before one can take this one?


One does not need to have taken the phowa course to attend the Buddha Amitabha 10 level teachings.

As for Phowa course, there is a committment to perform certain practices once a person decides to take the phowa course. However if one has completed ngondro then this committment is waived.
Choying Randrol
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the info Choying.

The Buddha Amitabha 10 level teachings are from Longchen Nyingthig?
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Choying Randrol » Sun May 08, 2011 9:22 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Thanks for the info Choying.

The Buddha Amitabha 10 level teachings are from Longchen Nyingthig?


Rinpoche never mentioned that it is from Longchen Nyingthig tradition. Where are you located? Do you intend to attend the teaching in Vancouver, or elsewhere?
Choying Randrol
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Sun May 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Choying Randrol wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:Thanks for the info Choying.

The Buddha Amitabha 10 level teachings are from Longchen Nyingthig?


Rinpoche never mentioned that it is from Longchen Nyingthig tradition. Where are you located? Do you intend to attend the teaching in Vancouver, or elsewhere?


I live in NY and I would like to attend, but I don't think I'll be able to make it this year unfortunately. I was just curious.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Phowa by Ayang Rinpoche August 24 - September 4, Penang

Postby Mr. G » Mon May 09, 2011 11:24 am

Found information here too:

http://amitabhafoundation.us/?page_id=1526

The Buddha Amitabha 10 Levels teachings come from the Namchoe tradition, using Tibetan texts from the 17th century treasure revealer Mingyur Dorje. These teachings encompass the complete path of Buddhist meditation practice, including calm abiding (shamata), the development stage of visualizing oneself as a deity surrounded by the Pure Land of Amitabha, the completion stage of resting in the true nature of mind (rigpa), and the union of development and completion stages together. Included are teachings on Dream Yoga and Clear Light Yoga, both components of the Six Yogas of Naropa (see also Phowa).

“As for the Buddha lands, there are countless Buddha lands or purelands according to the tradition of Buddhism. All these countless Buddha lands are included in the five Buddha lands associated with the Five Buddha Families.

Basically, a Buddha land is a manifestation or personification of the timeless awareness of enlightened beings. From the perspective of ultimate reality, all enlightened beings are unified in the great expanse and there are no distinctions in the state of timeless awareness.

The five Buddha lands of the Five Buddha Families are connected to the body, speech, mnind, qualities and activities of enlightened beings. The Buddha land in the west associated with Buddha Amitabha is known as Sukhavati or Dewachen and manifests from discriminative wisdom, the transformed state of attachment or desire.

There are many reasons why the western Buddha land of Dewachen can be said to be more excellent than the rest of the other Buddha lands. For instance, because Buddha Amitabha made great aspirations so that ordinary sentient beings with negative karmas and afflictive emotions could also be born in the wester pureland, it is easier to be reborn in the western pureland of Buddha Amitabha than in other Buddha lands. In general it is not otherwise possible for an ordinary being who still has negative karma and afflictive emotions to be born in a Buddha land.

Making supplication to Buddha Amitabha is tremendously beneficial because the blessing and activities of Amitabha are incomparable to any other enlightened beings.

Many practitioners have experienced this.” H.E. Ayang Rinpoche, Lumbini Monkey Year Teachings, 2004
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth


Return to Asia Pacific

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>