Introduction to Zen Buddhism Books

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
cddesjar

Introduction to Zen Buddhism Books

Post by cddesjar »

Hi,
I am looking to learn more about Zen and I was wondering if someone could recommend a few different titles to me? I am quite familiar with the basic tenets of Buddhism (4 Noble Truths, 8 Fold Path, etc.) and am looking for something that's an introduction specifically to Zen as a distinct school of Mahayana thought.
Rinchen Dorje

Re: Introduction to Zen Buddhism Books

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

if you want some original Zen...i.e Chan, then most anything by Master Sheng Yen is good. Here is a nice list that I recommend:
1. There Is No Suffering, a Commentary on the Heart Sutra-by Sheng Yen
2. The Heart Sutra-by Red Pine
3. The Diamond Sutra-by Red Pine
4. Describing The Indescribable-by Hsing Yun
5. Complete Enlightenment-by Sheng Yen
6. The Platform Sutra; The Zen Teaching of Hui Neng-by Red Pine
7. The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma-by Red Pine
8. The Lankavatara Sutra-by D.T. Suzuki
9. The Method of No-Method-by Sheng Yen
10. Shattering the Great Doubt-by Sheng Yen
11. Attaining the Way-by Sheng Yen
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Also highly recommended:

Mahāyāna Buddhism: the doctrinal foundations by Paul Williams
The Awakening of Faith: attributed to Aśvaghoṣha by Yoshito S. Hakeda
The Surangama Sutra: A New Translation by Hsüan Hua OR Surangama Sutra by Lu-Kuan-Yu
Cultivating Original Enlightenment: Wonhyo's Exposition of the Vajrasamādhi-sūtra by Robert E. Buswell
The Sutra of Perfect Enlightenment: Korean Buddhism's Guide to Meditation (with commentary by the Sŏn Monk Kihwa) by A. Charles Muller
Zongmi on Chan by Jeffrey L. Broughton
Tracing Back the Radiance: Chinul's Korean way of Zen by Robert E. Buswell
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Anders

Post by Anders »

That's a lot of books.

cddesjar, I suggest you pick Hoofprints of the Ox, by the late master Sheng-yen. Fa Dao also recommends some books by him but AFAIK this one is the one he intended as the introductory primer on Chan Buddhism. It's a very thorough going introduction to Chan Buddhism (Chinese Zen) that takes its roots in Mahayana Buddhism as it starting point and then going into the developments of Chan. It's a wonderful mix of being both very practically oriented and solidly grounded in the doctrinal tenets this practise is based on.

As a primer on Chan Buddhism, it should give you the basics thoroughly enough to start making sense of the more heavy-duty stuff like the sutras, etc. Having read that book, I'd probably suggest having a look at some classical material like the Platform Sutra.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Anders, you're right, too much info kills the message.

A list of introductory essays and speeches on the WCF site, which has Ven. Shengyan's classic What is Chan? and more importantly Xuyun's Essentials of Chan Practice and Methods of Practice in the Chan Hall that are really good introductions to Chinese Chan practices, also short and easy to read.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

yes, definitely Awakening of Faith but only by the translator that Astus mentioned. There are some rather unusual translations out there on the net of that. Its a difficult read at first but once you get going it will blow your mind.
Also Hoofprints of the Ox like Anders suggested. (dont know how I forgot that one oopsy)
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

One of the books I mentioned above, "Attaining the Way" by Master Sheng Yen has a good translation of Master Xu Yuns teachings in it. Master Xu Yuns teachings and autobiography had a huge impact on my life. He, almost single handedly, revitalized Chan in China when it was almost dead there. Rebuilt the Sixth Patriarchs monastery and the monastery of Master Yun Men.
cddesjar

Post by cddesjar »

Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I will start with Hoofprints of the Ox. Then read one of Fa Dao's or Astus's recommendations.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”