Kalu Rinpoche is coming to the SF BAY Area to give
"Shangpa Empowerments" to "advanced students"
I assume this would mean the 40 or so wangs of the
lineage. Who knows what the main practices are,
other than the obvious six yogas?
conebeckham

Re: Shangpa Deities

Post by conebeckham »

I don't think he's giving all of them, as it would take at least 10 days, 12 hourse a day...but he's giving some important transmissions, I think.

I can list the ones you need for a three year retreat, if you'd like....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Here are the ones he MAY give....I'm just guessing..

Chagdrupa Torwang
Chagrdupa LaGonYerMai Wang
Chagdrupa DribTsel Wang
Chagdrupa Khandro Wangdu Wang
GonKar Torwang
LhaShi Dril Drup Wang

Kyergang Luk Tamdrin

Nigu Luk Demchog Lha Nga Wangchen (two Days-Tagon and Wang one day each)
Great Power of Illusory Body Demchok Wang
Demchok Lha NgaTingdzin Wang
Gyu De Lha Nga Tingdzin Wang

The Empowerments for the Six Yogas of Niguma--there are 6 of these-Tummo, Gyu Lu, Milam, Osel, Phowa, Bardo
Chagchen Gauma Wang
LamKhyer SumDrup Wangs-(Carrying Guru in One's Heart, Carrying Yidam as Path, Carrying Five Poisons on Path)

Khacho Karmo Wang
Sukhasiddhi Wang Including Longevity Wangs for Niguma and Sukhasiddhi Longevity practices
ChiMeChukMe Wangs-Deathless/Birthless Body, Deathless/Birthless Mind

I don't think he'd give the Gyu De Lha Nga Wangchen, but I could be wrong....it requires a big puja and sand mandala, etc.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I just edited the post above...this is the list of the all the Shangpa Wangs that would be needed for a typical Shangpa Three Year Retreat.

In addition, there would be other Wangs from other traditions--Chogling Sangtik Purba, for example--that are part of the retreats as structured by Kongtrul Lodro Taye and followed, for the most part, by Kyabje Dorje Chang Kalu Rinpoche and his successors.

There are a bunch of other Shangpa empowerments that wouldn't normally be given for a three year retreat as well....

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Actually, looking at the Sukhasiddhi Center's calendar, it may be that Yangsi Rinpoche will be giving the whole transmission....I'd bet this would be restricted to people intending to do retreat with Lama Palden and her center, but I don't know.

Best thing is to check there, as more info will surely be made available later on.

Return to “Kagyu”