A teacher's teachings

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: A teacher's teachings

Postby adinatha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 am

TMingyur wrote:Investigate through applying the 8fold noble path which is the context of this right view. There is not other means to get the meaning.

kind regards

What is the first path of the noble eightfold path?
CAW!
adinatha

Postby ground » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

adinatha wrote:
TMingyur wrote:Investigate through applying the 8fold noble path which is the context of this right view. There is not other means to get the meaning.

kind regards

What is the first path of the noble eightfold path?

Hmh ... . Let me help you:

"Of those, right view is the forerunner.

And how is right view the forerunner?

In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge... In one of right knowledge, right release comes into being.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Kind regards
ground

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm

So we have established that right view is right view. Excellent! Now we can all sleep safely and soundly tonight!
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby conebeckham » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 pm

In my personal experience, that's about all we will EVER be able to "establish," Greg.
:smile:

Nonetheless, it's all quite interesting.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby adinatha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm

That's where I was hoping to lead TMingyur that Pali establishes right view is right view. So what is it then?
CAW!
adinatha

Postby conebeckham » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Well, he cited this link: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

I've copied this:
And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.
Last edited by conebeckham on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby adinatha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 pm

conebeckham wrote:Well, he cited this link: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

I've copied this:
Code: Select all
And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

There it is.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby ground » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Okay now?

Right view has a context. And what is its context? The 8fold path.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Well strike me down with Thors sledgehammer! It's just revelation after revelation today! I think I am going to have an information overdose!
Will you guys get to the point already! :zzz:
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby ground » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 am

Too sober for you, greg, right? No worry if you are looking for sensation. There are quite some alternatives demonstrated here that stimulate fantasy ... great excitement and sensation guaranteed, vibrations ... wow ... adventure ...

Contact, feeling, fabrication, craving ... who wants to bother with that. It's boring right? When there is so much thrilling sensation "out there" ... one just has to contact thoughts and indulge in them ... wow that tingles ...

Kind regards
ground

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am

Not looking for something sensational at all, but this circular restating of the obvious is highly unnecessary. If either of you are going to say something then please do so.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby catmoon » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

TMingyur wrote:Once I experienced a tibetan teacher who gave appealing teachings. Really good.
But then in some other lectures he began talking about ghosts and strange kinds of beings being the cause of this and that negative phenomenon one experiences, somehow blaming some negativity on some external "given" phenomena. That appeared strange to me and somehow not compliant with buddhist teachings and I decided to reject such sort of teachings.
Now this did not lead to rejection of this person as a teacher or rejection of all of his teachings but just to the rejection of the teachings that I found to be the opposite of "conducive".

Now what happend was this: when it came to debating things with other followers of this teacher other followers accused me of not following exactly and all of what this teacher taught. They claimed that if one wanted to follow a teaching of a special teacher one mandatorily has to accept and follow each and every teaching of this teacher.

I let them have their talk but did not bother any further. In this way I could retain the advantages of the conducive teachings without having to subscribe to non-conducive teachings.

Another thing I learned from that is that one should be very cautious when it comes to associating with people.

Kind regards

Looks to me like you have discovered that not every teaching is one that you need or can use. Why not just put it on the back burner? Who knows, these teachings may suddenly seem relevant 20 years from now.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Previous

Return to Personal Experience