am i insane?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gingercatni

am i insane?

Post by gingercatni »

I've chosen to post here rather on the dhamma site as, well, it seems more relevant here. I'm a theravada buddhist, we don't really recognise any other traditions texts or beliefs. I did try to follow the pureland tradition but theravada is in my heart and I'm happy with that. But strangely Kwan Yin seems to be on my mind a lot, I have been very out spoken about her in the past, doubting her existance. But frequently in meditation she pops up and a smile breaks across my face, last night I even had a dream about her, well a statue of her don't know if that counts. Whats going on, am i going insane? :shrug:
Lazy_eye

Re: am i insane?

Post by Lazy_eye »

Hi Gingercatni,

From what I've heard, you can sometimes find Kwan Yin being venerated in Theravada temples even though she is not a Theravada figure. So maybe you are not alone in this experience. :) There is some cross-pollination across the traditions, and not only in the West.

Maybe you have some affinity with her and that's why she is appearing to you.
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

Lazy_eye wrote:Hi Gingercatni,

From what I've heard, you can sometimes find Kwan Yin being venerated in Theravada temples even though she is not a Theravada figure. So maybe you are not alone in this experience. :) There is some cross-pollination across the traditions, and not only in the West.

Maybe you have some affinity with her and that's why she is appearing to you.
Well her appearance into my life is very welcome, she always seems very happy and smiling when I see her. I just worry I'm losing my marbles!
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

gingercatni wrote:I've chosen to post here rather on the dhamma site as, well, it seems more relevant here. I'm a theravada buddhist, we don't really recognise any other traditions texts or beliefs. I did try to follow the pureland tradition but theravada is in my heart and I'm happy with that. But strangely Kwan Yin seems to be on my mind a lot, I have been very out spoken about her in the past, doubting her existance. But frequently in meditation she pops up and a smile breaks across my face, last night I even had a dream about her, well a statue of her don't know if that counts. Whats going on, am i going insane? :shrug:
This post may be helpful:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 982#p32982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anders Honore wrote:
Huseng wrote:I personally know one bhiksuni who says she has received direct teachings from Bodhisattvas before. She doesn't advertise this or generally tell people about it, but being a friend and fellow Buddhist she revealed to me some exquisite poetry written in Classical Chinese verse which she claimed was transmitted to her through Bodhisattvas. It all contained references to Buddhist concepts and having a background in Classical Chinese I found it impressive.
This is not that unusual. There are a number of sutras in the Chinese tripitaka, mostly concerning guanyin where the 'composers' are also recorded. These are typically cases of scarcely learned but devout lay people who spontaneously began reciting new sutras betraying style and content that only someone very erudite in Indian sutras could have composed of their own, so they were considered genuine revelatory sutras. I suspect quite a few Indian sutras were originally conceived in a similar manner though of course this is not recorded.
I'm sure someone can assist in finding a Kwan Yin practice for you to do along side with your Theravada practice
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

gingercatni wrote:I've chosen to post here rather on the dhamma site as, well, it seems more relevant here. I'm a theravada buddhist, we don't really recognise any other traditions texts or beliefs. I did try to follow the pureland tradition but theravada is in my heart and I'm happy with that. But strangely Kwan Yin seems to be on my mind a lot, I have been very out spoken about her in the past, doubting her existance. But frequently in meditation she pops up and a smile breaks across my face, last night I even had a dream about her, well a statue of her don't know if that counts. Whats going on, am i going insane? :shrug:
You know Thailand has a large Chinese population and I've heard they technically follow Theravada, but also build Guanyin shrines.

So, there is a precedent for it.

Actually if you're having affectionate sentiments for Guanyin, I imagine you have some kind of karmic affinity for him/her. Might as well pursue it.
Dexing

Post by Dexing »

I had the same thing with Kṣitigarbha showing up in dreams a while ago, but more strongly I have always been drawn to Maitreya Bodhisattva for no "apparent" reason. Uncoincidentally I have mainly been studying the Cittamātra system associated with him.

It's nothing odd, but nor is it something to ignore because of whatever prejudices. If you feel something, go with it and explore your karma there. See what fruit may come of it.

:namaste:
nopalabhyate...
Josef

Post by Josef »

No, you're not going insane.
Perhaps you should reassess the conceptual/intellectual limitations you have placed upon your practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Luke

Post by Luke »

gingercatni wrote:But strangely Kwan Yin seems to be on my mind a lot, I have been very out spoken about her in the past, doubting her existance. But frequently in meditation she pops up and a smile breaks across my face, last night I even had a dream about her, well a statue of her don't know if that counts. Whats going on, am i going insane? :shrug:
No, you're not going crazy. Kwan Yin is ultimately nothing other than the true nature your mind, so thinking about Kwan Yin is no more crazy than looking in the mirror (and is actually less crazy from a Buddhist point of view). And perhaps you have some karmic connection to Kwan Yin from a past life.

In the west, lots of people say they are Buddhists, but yet they still have the same view of reality as most non-Buddhists and are shocked when something occurs outside those familiar boundaries. However, science doesn't have a monopoly on reality.

If you feel great devotion to Kwan Yin, just consider it a blessing and go with it. I wish you the best of luck with your Buddhist practices.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Today there is a Buddhist Tradition in Vietnam that is a hybrid between Mahayana and Theravada. It was found by a Vietnamese Patriarch about 100 years ago.
Here is the Patriarch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPFS46qF5Yo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you have a connection with Kwan Yin, perhaps this is due to your ripened karma on your spiritual path.
It’s eye blinking.
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

Thanks everyone for the kind replies it really helps! :group:
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Also remember that Kwan Yin is the embodiment of every Buddha's compassion. The only thing that might be harmed by improving your relationship with her is your ego. :)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Connecting with Kwan Yin is sane.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: you are sane

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Some time back the same subject came up on Dhamma Wheel:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
ground

Post by ground »

It is nothing special that what one has been mentally involved in pops up later sort of spontaneously. It does not matter whether one was mentally rejecting something or mentally accepting something the mere fact of mental engagement suffices to trigger such kinds of events.

One may go insane only if one attaches importance to such kinds of insignificant mental events and gets obsessed by one's fantasies about them.

Kind regards
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

You may wish to read this:

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-b ... t?page=0,2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will find that Theravada and Mahayana texts existed side by side when they found them in an ancient. Isn't she part of Mahayana?
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

You are not going insane.
lobster

Post by lobster »

One may go insane only if one attaches importance to such kinds of insignificant mental events and gets obsessed by one's fantasies about them.
Exactly so.
Kwan Yin, who now sits on a minimalist shrine came to me in a form with the moon above her during a dream . . .
Nearby we have a form of Kwan Yin in an Anglican Church . . . I was compelled to go take her picture.

To reach her present form, she was burnt in a fire, that destroyed much of the Church :consoling:
She is little more than sacred charcoal . . .
http://youtu.be/vraLUaChEjI

This is from another carbon footprint - the Diamond Sutra . . .

All conditioned phenomena
Are like dreams, illusions, bubbles, or shadows;
Like drops of dew, or flashes of lightning;
Thusly should they be contemplated.
remm

Post by remm »

As other posters have already mentioned, you probably have a very great affinity with Guan Yin Pu Sa. You are definitely not insane. You have a good connection with this greatly kind and compassionate bodhisattva and, well, in my opinion, I'd say pursue it. Who knows, guan yin works wonders in the hearts of living beings. I rejoice in your auspicious affinity. :thumbsup:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”