Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 am 

Enochian wrote:
Ok let me put it in another way.

If you 100% NEED a transmission to understand your natural state, it would NOT be natural would it?

Well, you need something reflective, like a mirror, to see your natural face. Can't see your face just by possessing it, can you?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 am 

Very well put. :twothumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:47 am 

You meet the mistaken idea that "the ultimate is unconditioned therefore anyone who teaches a path to realize it has fallen into a false view" more often in Neo-Advaita. But some would-be Dzogchenpas seem prone to it as well. I won't argue the point. But I will recommend Vivid Awareness, a recent book by Thrangu Rinpoche made from talks he gave explaining a short text by Khenpo Gangshar. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, so good. It hits the main points that a beginner in Dzogchen/Mahamudra needs to know.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:08 am 

Jinzang wrote:
You meet the mistaken idea that "the ultimate is unconditioned therefore anyone who teaches a path to realize it has fallen into a false view" more often in Neo-Advaita. But some would-be Dzogchenpas seem prone to it as well. I won't argue the point. But I will recommend Vivid Awareness, a recent book by Thrangu Rinpoche made from talks he gave explaining a short text by Khenpo Gangshar. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, so good. It hits the main points that a beginner in Dzogchen/Mahamudra needs to know.

I read this book based on your recommendation here. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. One of a kind.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am 

I just read up on Khenpo Gangshar's life. He was left for dead after an illness and taken to a cell. Then he suddenly sat up after three days and transformed from someone who was a conformist to someone quite daring and unconventional. Looking death square in the face allows transformations like this. I take great inspiration from this kind of experience. Contemplate death, I say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7