Bothersome things about Vajrayana and Dzogchen

Re: Bothersome things about Vajrayana and Dzogchen

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 am

Enochian wrote:Ok let me put it in another way.

If you 100% NEED a transmission to understand your natural state, it would NOT be natural would it?

Well, you need something reflective, like a mirror, to see your natural face. Can't see your face just by possessing it, can you?
Pema Rigdzin

Postby Dechen Norbu » Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 am

Very well put. :twothumbsup:
Dechen Norbu

Postby Jinzang » Fri May 06, 2011 1:47 am

You meet the mistaken idea that "the ultimate is unconditioned therefore anyone who teaches a path to realize it has fallen into a false view" more often in Neo-Advaita. But some would-be Dzogchenpas seem prone to it as well. I won't argue the point. But I will recommend Vivid Awareness, a recent book by Thrangu Rinpoche made from talks he gave explaining a short text by Khenpo Gangshar. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, so good. It hits the main points that a beginner in Dzogchen/Mahamudra needs to know.
Imagine a man who stands before a mirror; a stone strikes it, and it falls to ruin all in an instant. And the man learns that he is himself, and not the mirrored man he had believed himself to be.
-- Gene Wolfe
Jinzang

Postby adinatha » Sun May 08, 2011 6:08 am

Jinzang wrote:You meet the mistaken idea that "the ultimate is unconditioned therefore anyone who teaches a path to realize it has fallen into a false view" more often in Neo-Advaita. But some would-be Dzogchenpas seem prone to it as well. I won't argue the point. But I will recommend Vivid Awareness, a recent book by Thrangu Rinpoche made from talks he gave explaining a short text by Khenpo Gangshar. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, so good. It hits the main points that a beginner in Dzogchen/Mahamudra needs to know.

I read this book based on your recommendation here. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. One of a kind.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby adinatha » Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am

I just read up on Khenpo Gangshar's life. He was left for dead after an illness and taken to a cell. Then he suddenly sat up after three days and transformed from someone who was a conformist to someone quite daring and unconventional. Looking death square in the face allows transformations like this. I take great inspiration from this kind of experience. Contemplate death, I say.
CAW!
adinatha

Previous

Return to Dzogchen