Bug in "The Practice of Dzogchen"

Sönam

Bug in "The Practice of Dzogchen"

Post by Sönam »

In the second part of "The Practice of Dzogchen" by Longchen Rabjam, Introduced, Translated and Annotated by Tulku Thondub, there is a printing error in the Part 2, page 235, chapter 3: "Karma of Liberative Virtues, the Means of Liberation from Samsara in Mahayana".
The seven first lines are identical to the first lines of the previous chapter (2). And the six following lines of chapter 3 seem to belong to chapter 2.
So, beginning of chapter 2 seems incomplete, and beginning of chapter 3 seems to have been replaced by the beginning of chapter 2.

Of course, I have send a mail (quite long ago) to Snow Lion Publications, but did'nt receive any answer ... maybe some of you did encounter the same problem and solve it?
So, someone may offer me the solution for that printing bug ...

Being sure that some of you did read that text, I may expect an answer (I'm translating part 2 in french, and I'm stuck on that point)

Thank you for your futur help!
Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Re: Bug in "The Practice of Dzogchen"

Post by Pero »

I have the book at home, where I'm not right now so I can't take a look there. But in the pdf I have on my laptop I can't find that mistake, I think it's an older edition though. Can you give me a short quote of the repeating lines?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
walker

Post by walker »

The error you mention does not appear in the edition I have (third edition, 2002). What edition are you using?

By the way, there is now also a German edition of The Practice of Dzogchen entitled "Buddha-Natur: Dzogchen in der Praxis", published by Opus Verlag.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

I have edition 2 ...
here are the begining of chapter 2 : KARMA OF SAMSARIC DEEDS, THE CAUSE OF WANDERING OF BEINGS IN DELUSORY SAMSARA

The second chapter is on the karma of samsaric deeds (Srid-Pa sGrub-Pa'i Las). This chapter is an abridged translation of the first section of the fourth chapter of Shingta Chenpo (SC I, 78b-97a) which is based on Mahayana sutras and texts including Karmashataka, Mahayanaratnakuta-sutra, Survanaprabhasottama-sutra, Avatamsaka-sutra, Uttarantantra-shastra, Ratnavali, Madhyamakavatara, Abhidharma-kosa and Abhisamayalamkara.
In their view of karma-the ways of wandering in samsara after delusion-Dzogpa Chenpo and others ...
following is the begining of chapter 3 : KARMA OF LIBERATIVE VIRTUES, THE MEANS OF LIBERATION FROM SAMSARA

The second chapter is on the karma of samsaric deeds (Srid-Pa sGrub-Pa'i Las). This chapter is an abridged translation of the first section of the fourth chapter of Shingta Chenpo (SC I, 78b-97a) which is based on Mahayana sutras and texts including Karmashataka, Mahayanaratnakuta-sutra, Survanaprabhasottama-sutra, Avatamsaka-sutra, Uttarantantra-shastra, Ratnavali, Madhyamakavatara, Abhidharma-kosa and Abhisamayalamkara.
maitreya pariprccha-sutra, 'Phags-Pa gZungs-Kyi ... Zhus-Pa, Astasahasrikaprajnaparamita-sutra, Prajnaparamitra-sancayagatha, Uttaratantra-satra, Ratnavali, Guhyagarbhamayajala-tantra and Dvikalpa-tantra of Hevajara.
Being possess the Buddha-essence (S. Tathagatagarbha), the absolute truth, although it has been ...
In red the identical part for both chapters. Followed in chapter 3 by a list seeming to belong to chapter 2 (?) ... all very confused in my edition.

If one of you could be kind enough to "debug" my edition ...

Thank you
Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Wow this is really weird. My pdf is also 2nd edition, but I can't find what you're quoting at all. In my book the beginning of chapter 2 goes like this:
2. Karma of Samsaric Deeds, the Cause of Wandering of Beings in Delusory Samsara

In chapter four of Shingta Chenpo (SC Vol. 1), on the cause and effects of actions (karma), Longchen Rabjam divided karma into two categories, samsaric deeds and liberative virtues. To clarify samsaric deeds he terms the ultimate sphere (dbyings) "the universal ground", which is a neutral state with respect to samsara and nirvana. He differs from the interpretation in the previous section and divides it into two aspects instead of four: ...
And the beginning of chapter 3:
3. Karma of Liberative Virtues, The Means of Liberation from Samsara

The karma of virtuous deeds associated with liberative virtues leads the person to enlightenment. Kunkhyen Longchen Rabham explains in his Shingta Chenpo (SC, The Great Chariot), autocommentary on Semnyid Ngalso (SN, "Relaxation in the Natural Mind) the presence of two lineages (rigs) of the Buddha-essence (Tathagatagarbha) in all living beings, because of which we have the potential to become Buddhas if we train ourselves in the virtuous karmas which lead to Buddhahood. The first of the two lineages is "the naturally present lineage" (rang bzhin gnas rigs), which is ...
I can send you the pdf later if you want.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Check and see what specific printing you both have. This information is on the copyright page. There can be several prinintgs of an edition.

I found an error in Jamgon Kongtrul's "Sacred Ground" in an appendix and reported it to them and I think I got a response.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

kirtu wrote:Check and see what specific printing you both have. This information is on the copyright page. There can be several prinintgs of an edition.

I found an error in Jamgon Kongtrul's "Sacred Ground" in an appendix and reported it to them and I think I got a response.

Kirt
Sorry, I made a mistake, my edition is "Third edition USA 2002" ...

This edition ISBN 1-55939-179-0

The error is identical in the scribd version http://www.scribd.com/doc/11431304/The- ... f-Dzogchen that I use when I'm not home ... type in page 108

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Now that you gave the link to scribd and a page number I figured out why I couldn't find the repeating lines. Sonam, you gave us wrong coordinates. :rolling:
What you're talking about is in the "Summary of the Sections" (p191) and not in the actual chapters in question (p214 and p235). There is indeed a mistake and it is present in both the 2nd and 3rd editions.
The second chapter is on the karma of samsaric deeds (Srid-Pa sGrub-Pa'i Las). This chapter is an abridged translation of the first section of the fourth chapter of Shingta Chenpo (SC I, 78b-97a) which is based on Mahayana sutras and texts including Karmashataka, Mahayanaratnakuta-sutra, Survanaprabhasottama-sutra, Avatamsaka-sutra, Uttarantantra-shastra, Ratnavali, Madhyamakavatara, Abhidharma-kosa and Abhisamayalamkara,Maitreya pariprccha-sutra, 'Phags-Pa gZungs-Kyi ... Zhus-Pa, Astasahasrikaprajnaparamita-sutra, Prajnaparamitra-sancayagatha, Uttaratantra-satra, Ratnavali, Guhyagarbhamayajala-tantra and Dvikalpa-tantra of Hevajara.
I think the third chapter is based on all the texts from the second chapter in the first quote as well as those additional texts in the second quote. I don't know the texts though, so I can't say for sure.
- Shabkar
walker

Post by walker »

Yes, now I see the mistake. It has been corrected in the German edition. I'll contact the translator of that edition and will ask him for the original English.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Thanks all ... waiting for the english version of the german translator!

I'm surprized I did'nt received an answer from Snow Lion? ... maybe my english was not good enough :twothumbsup:

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Sönam wrote: I'm surprized I did'nt received an answer from Snow Lion? ... maybe my english was not good enough :twothumbsup:
If you wrote to them what you wrote in the first post here they probably also couldn't find it and thought you were wrong or something. :smile:
- Shabkar
walker

Post by walker »

Here's the correct text (except for the diacritics and the inconsistent Wylie capitalisation, obviously), supplied by Tulku Thondup to the translator of the German edition (Karl Antz). I think the original English edition (entitled Buddha Mind) had this passage correct.

" The third chapter is on the karma of liberative deeds (Zhi-bar sBor-Ba'i Las). It is an abridged translation of the last section of the fourth chapter of Shingta Chenpo (SC-I,97a-129a), which is mainly based on Mahäyäna sütras of "the second turning of the Dharma Wheel" and their commentaries. They include Ärya-tathägata-garbha-sütra, Mahäparinirväna-sütra, Ärya-"

I'll pm you Karl's email address. He'll be happy to help clearing up other issues.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Pero wrote:
Sönam wrote: I'm surprized I did'nt received an answer from Snow Lion? ... maybe my english was not good enough :twothumbsup:
If you wrote to them what you wrote in the first post here they probably also couldn't find it and thought you were wrong or something. :smile:
You're right ... but

- they made the mistake
- they could investigate a bit
- they can ask me detail
- they can tell me don't see what i'm speaking about

but it's ok ... you were all there !
Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Pero

Post by Pero »

Sönam wrote:
Pero wrote:
You're right ... but

- they made the mistake
- they could investigate a bit
- they can ask me detail
- they can tell me don't see what i'm speaking about
Yeah, that's true haha.
- Shabkar
username

Post by username »

Even large publishing houses have a few people in each department to deal with many upcoming titles that will hopefully make some money. Spiritual or Dharma publishers are much smaller operations of a few people, stressed and swamped with tight or impossible upcoming deadlines. They are not large heartless multinational corporations. Take it easy.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

New edition coming out in October, "This expanded edition includes Counsel for Liberation, Longchenpa’s poetic exhortation to readers to quickly enter the path of liberation, the first step toward the summit of Dzogchen practice." although it's 50 pages shorter than the previous, hopefully it's just a change in font/formatting rather than removal of content.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I once sent a whole manuscript to Snow Lion and never got a reply. Didn't get the manuscript back, either.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

tingdzin wrote:I once sent a whole manuscript to Snow Lion and never got a reply. Didn't get the manuscript back, either.
Yes, it seems they are unequiped to answer ... we have asked the right for a publication they hold the copyright, and it tooks months before they contact their agency in Paris for they contact us.

Sönam
- Longchen Rabjam -
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam wrote:
Yes, it seems they are unequiped to answer ... we have asked the right for a publication they hold the copyright, and it tooks months before they contact their agency in Paris for they contact us.

Sönam

Snow Lion was sold to Shambhala in May 11, 2012. But I am sure they were in negotiations for a long while before hand. Hence, their lack of response, I imagine.

Return to “Dzogchen”