Ordination

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Malcolm

Re: Ordination

Post by Malcolm »

Andreas Ludwig wrote:
but it didn't work in the end.
The policies and standards didn't work?.

They created, unintentionally, many enemies.
Andreas Ludwig

Post by Andreas Ludwig »

Who were apparently able to bring ES down, yeah...
Caz

Post by Caz »

Namdrol wrote:
Andreas Ludwig wrote:
but it didn't work in the end.
The policies and standards didn't work?.

They created, unintentionally, many enemies.
So you move on and learn, I know some saw E-sangha as Iron fist policies and Buddhism. :guns:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Caz wrote: So you move on and learn, I know some saw E-sangha as Iron fist policies and Buddhism. :guns:

The interesting thing was all the bizarre fantasies and projections that some people engaged in about our motivations for doing this or that.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

What I find funny is that others who criticized E-sangha's policies ended up adopting very similar policies themselves. It just took them a little time. Those who hadn't our policies ended up with forums where your chances of reading adharma are much higher than reading good teachings or correct information. E-sangha was huge and mainstream. As such, our policies to protect newcomers from leaving with their minds completely confused had to be tighter. This meant lot of work for us, enduring harsh critics and spending endless hours online. And we weren't getting payed! :lol:
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Dechen Norbu wrote:What I find funny is that others who criticized E-sangha's policies ended up adopting very similar policies themselves. It just took them a little time. Those who hadn't our policies ended up with forums where your chances of reading adharma are much higher than reading good teachings or correct information. E-sangha was huge and mainstream. As such, our policies to protect newcomers from leaving with their minds completely confused had to be tighter. This meant lot of work for us, enduring harsh critics and spending endless hours online. And we weren't getting payed! :lol:
You also had to deal with the threat of lawsuits of all things. Apparent "religious persecution" on E-sangha.

E-sangha will certainly go down in internet history as one of those great sites that went from being huge to offline literally overnight.

It certainly sparked a lot of communication and opened up networks among people. I've met a number of old Esangha friends in real life. We've even done meditation retreat together. :smile:

Actually the English speaking Buddhist world is incredibly small. If you get involved with both Buddhist academia and the English speaking practitioner world you see how it seems everyone knows or knows of each other.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Some people acted shamefully against E-sangha and its team. Let bygones be bygones.

I've noticed that already. It's a bit saddening we're so few (me not even being part of the native English speaking world).
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

just to clarify, though....I recall that it was not really "upset" members, or ex-members, of E Sangha that brought it down....I recall something about Sri Lankan politics or some such.......

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, I dunno.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Yes, that seems to be the case.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

:oops: Seems this thread has veered :offtopic: .

:focus: Ordination

Regards,
rt
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Apropos of ordination and e-sangha:

that discussion board, and its policies on ordination, had a significant impact on a number of meat-world sanghas. Tendai-shu in North America is one. There were some teachers who were presenting themselves as having been ordained or credentialed in particular ways that were simply dishonest, and the public debate about this gave documentation to those claims and they've since disappeared or changed their stripes.

I think it would be very, very useful indeed if Dharmawheel became a place where people can learn about ordination, and may in the process become a proximal cause for people to take vows that bring benefit to all.

Return to “Suggestion Box”