Swelling

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Josef

Swelling

Post by Josef »

Hi Namdrol and anyone else who is interested in what our resident doctor has to say about it.
I recently had a couple of operations to repair my knee. The meniscus was badly torn and my ACL had to be completely replaced.
The most recent operation was about a month ago and recovery is going well. I am about to start physical therapy and there is one area that I was hoping to get some advice on.
The knee is still quite swollen, this is totally normal but the healing/physical therapy process will go smoother and faster if I can diminish the swelling.
What are my options from a the TM point of view? Suggestions for both external and dietary remedies would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
nangwa
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Re: Swelling

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:Hi Namdrol and anyone else who is interested in what our resident doctor has to say about it.
I recently had a couple of operations to repair my knee. The meniscus was badly torn and my ACL had to be completely replaced.
The most recent operation was about a month ago and recovery is going well. I am about to start physical therapy and there is one area that I was hoping to get some advice on.
The knee is still quite swollen, this is totally normal but the healing/physical therapy process will go smoother and faster if I can diminish the swelling.
What are my options from a the TM point of view? Suggestions for both external and dietary remedies would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
nangwa

Moxa will reduce the swelling immediately -- provided it is not an inflamation/infection. Otherwise try cold compresses. Way to find out is apply hot, see it is more comfortable. If not, then apply cold. Or reverse. whichever your instinct sends you. Then, apply corresponding diet and behavior.

if it is red an angry looking, it is probably hot. If not, cold.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Hi Namdrol and anyone else who is interested in what our resident doctor has to say about it.
thanks
nangwa

Moxa will reduce the swelling immediately -- provided it is not an inflamation/infection. Otherwise try cold compresses. Way to find out is apply hot, see it is more comfortable. If not, then apply cold. Or reverse. whichever your instinct sends you. Then, apply corresponding diet and behavior.

if it is red an angry looking, it is probably hot. If not, cold.
Thanks Namdrol.
Its definitely not infection related.
Ice and heat both seem to help. I will get some moxa.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

the moxa treatment is remarkable.
Not only did it diminish the swelling in my knee, but my comfortable range of motion was significantly increased.
thanks again for the recommendation Namdrol.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:the moxa treatment is remarkable.
Not only did it diminish the swelling in my knee, but my comfortable range of motion was significantly increased.
thanks again for the recommendation Namdrol.

Sure thing.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

HOw compassionate, and with compassionate result to boot. How very rare to suceed at this thing of compassion.

How fortunate to be Namdrol and Nangwa.
And I am happier reading this.
So fortunate are Namdrol Nangwa and Ron, and perhaps many others :smile: .
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

E Ma!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”