Do not rejoice any killing!

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
narraboth

Do not rejoice any killing!

Post by narraboth »

We say we will have compassion on EVERY sentient being, especially includeing those who are in lower realm, we will not give up any of them.

So, even someone is a notorious terrible criminal, we should feel sad about what he's definitely going to suffer. Remember, when we generate compassion to beings in Hell, they probably did lots of bad thing in previous life too (that's why they are in Hell realm now).
Killing is killing. Do not rejoice it just because the one who being killed is a criminal or your enemy.

I hope he would give up his wrong view if he would have chance to gain human body again, I wish he and people who suffered from him will all go on the right path in the end.
Malcolm

Re: Do not rejoice any killing!

Post by Malcolm »

narraboth wrote:We say we will have compassion on EVERY sentient being, especially includeing those who are in lower realm, we will not give up any of them.

So, even someone is a notorious terrible criminal, we should feel sad about what he's definitely going to suffer. Remember, when we generate compassion to beings in Hell, they probably did lots of bad thing in previous life too (that's why they are in Hell realm now).
Killing is killing. Do not rejoice it just because the one who being killed is a criminal or your enemy.

I hope he would give up his wrong view if he would have chance to gain human body again, I wish he and people who suffered from him will all go on the right path in the end.
Agreed. Osama Bin Laden was an evil man. But we should not rejoice in his killing.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

*nod* Yep.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Unfortunately this is another fault of samsaric beings - people will rejoice at the death of beings perceived to be their enemies.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Generally yes. To rejoice in the deed is to participate in merit or demerit.

However, its sticky. Lhalung Pelkyi Dorje was honored for assassinating
King Langdharma. He also attained rainbow body. So I guess we should adopt
the advice of HH Penor Rinpoche "Unless you can liberate others, then don't
kill them."

Sometimes in this kaliyuga we accept necessary evils.
Sad state of affairs.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

ngodrup wrote:Generally yes. To rejoice in the deed is to participate in merit or demerit.

kill them."

Sad state of affairs.
Someone with the ability to ph'owa someone to a pure realm instead of just killing them for example.

Since we have no idea if the person who dispatched OBL had any sort of siddhi, its probably safest to not rejoice about this.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Pero

Post by Pero »

In any case I don't know why anyone would rejoice in the death of small fry like him when the big fish freely roam the world.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

“Joyfully celebrating the killing of a killer who joyfully celebrated killing carries an irony that I hope will not be lost on us. Are we learning anything, or simply spinning harder in the cycle of violence?” - theologian Brian McLaren
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

ngodrup wrote:Generally yes. To rejoice in the deed is to participate in merit or demerit.

kill them."

Sad state of affairs.
Well, depends on how it is done and what is the result.
we do have wrathful method even in mahayana, such as buddha did in his previous life, but the requirements are strict.
Ideally people should do it with only mind of benefiting others rather than anger or revenge. I don't know how Obama or those soldiers' mind so I can't comment on that part. For the result, does this killing really save much more people? I can't tell for now either.

The thing I can say is, if buddhists are going to rejoice King Langdharma being killed, it's not because we want justice/revenge being done. There's no need to seek justice because it can not be other way, negative karma will bring negative result.
According to Kusaabidharma, you get equal karma when you fully rejoice something.
So, bin laden killed thousands-- huge negative karma
some people in another side of the planet rejoice about American being killed --- everyone got huge negative karma
people killed bin laden with revenge mind --- not that huge but still negative karma
millions of American rejoice it with revenge mind ---- everyone gets the negative karma

Maybe, just maybe, it has to be done, to save more lives. But to be safe, I still won't feel happy about it; it's not easy to rejoice the killing without even a bit revenge mind.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Yes indeed. I don't know. It may have been necessary.

Punishment / Revenge mind is never helpful.
No Buddhist should rejoice in the killing, and if we have
compassion for non-Buddhists, we should try to help
them understand how they participate in the deeds of
others.

Maybe its a sense of relief.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”