a great Avatara dies, 24.4. 2011

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

a great Avatara dies, 24.4. 2011

Postby Aemilius » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 am

The avatara is Satya Sai Baba, here is what Sravasti Dhammika wrote in His remembrance
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/04/passing-of-sai-baba.html
svaha
Aemilius

Re: a great Avatara dies, 24.4. 2011

Postby Dechen Norbu » Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm

You understand he's really saying the guy is bunk, don't you?
Dechen Norbu

Postby Jikan » Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Aemilius wrote:The avatara is Satya Sai Baba, here is what Sravasti Dhammika wrote in His remembrance
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/04/passing-of-sai-baba.html

Impossible. Satya Sai was on the record with a prediction that he'd die at age 96 and remain healthy and youthful until that time (see the book Redemptive Encounters for this one).

If it's true that he's gone, may he speedily find a fortunate rebirth in a Buddhist family.
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Aemilius » Mon May 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:You understand he's really saying the guy is bunk, don't you?

I take with a sense of humour, how else could he say it and be a proper theravada monk?
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Dechen Norbu » Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Not lying is part of the Vinaya, you see...
He said it quite politely.

If you want to know a little better who that man really was, check: http://www.rickross.com/groups/saibaba.html

Simply put, I think the guy was fraud and a criminal. Feel free to disagree, but if you read the information in the site above, I think you'll change your mind.
Dechen Norbu

Re: a great fraud dies

Postby Will » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Avataras are real and rare. SSB was not one.

I admired him & his teachings (from afar) for a few years. Then long-time young male disciples began to fade away, after experiencing SSB groping them or one of their friends. There were too many honest ex-disciples telling similar tales, of not only his craving for young males, but his fake "miracles".
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Aemilius » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Dechen Norbu wrote:Not lying is part of the Vinaya, you see...
He said it quite politely.

If you want to know a little better who that man really was, check: http://www.rickross.com/groups/saibaba.html

Simply put, I think the guy was fraud and a criminal. Feel free to disagree, but if you read the information in the site above, I think you'll change your mind.

Í've known some people who met and saw Satya Sai Baba in early 1970's, he wasn't then such a big thing yet, as he was when Ven. Dhammika saw him. Seeing him has changed people's lives permanently.

I have heard these kind of accusations and rumours. If You yourself happen to attain any kind of even minor siddhis you will know how the thing is, what will actually take place. It is beyond your wildest nightmares what people are like then, what they are prepared to do, how much effort they will spend actually doing it !!

In buddhism the two major disciples, Maudgalyayana and Shariputra, were both murdered. This isn't well known, but it is there in the canonical scriptures, and there is some oral tradition about it too. I think it is quite certain that the Great Maudgalyayana was murdered by "honest citizens", not by robbers as the polished canonical story goes. Miraculous incidents cause powerfull negative effects, & negative behaviour, in the human society.
Both of them were murdered while Tathagata Shakyamuni was still alive. There is a sutta that describes the situation of Sangha seeing Tathagata face to face after His two chief disciples are gone.
svaha
Aemilius

Re: a great fraud dies

Postby Aemilius » Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 am

Will wrote:Avataras are real and rare. SSB was not one.

I admired him & his teachings (from afar) for a few years. Then long-time young male disciples began to fade away, after experiencing SSB groping them or one of their friends. There were too many honest ex-disciples telling similar tales, of not only his craving for young males, but his fake "miracles".

I think wikipedia article is balánced and close to truth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba
svaha
Aemilius

Return to News & Current Events