Purchasing Guggul

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Pema Rigdzin

Purchasing Guggul

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol,

Is there a reliable store online where I can purchase guggul to burn in my home? To your knowledge is it common for people to sell some knockoff substance as guggul?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Malcolm

Re: Purchasing Guggul

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Namdrol,

Is there a reliable store online where I can purchase guggul to burn in my home? To your knowledge is it common for people to sell some knockoff substance as guggul?

Tsegyalgar has gugul.

And no. Not to my knowledge. It smells like hash, so pretty hard to fake.

N
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It's cheap as hell as well, so I can't imagine someone trying to palm you off something cheaper! Actually, if anything, they will try to sell you guggul in place of myrrh (to which it is related in appearance and usage but not as a plant). I buy my guggul from Potalagate http://www.potalagate.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and if you are not too concerned as to whether it has been blessed or not (and if you are in Europe) from here http://www.theincensestore.com/online_s ... id-50g.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both are very good quality, the Hindu site is cheaper.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Ok, just ordered some. Two quick questions: 1) is it only used to dispel obstructors, or is it also used as offering to wrathful yidams? 2) also, do you need to burn it on charchol or somethinng or can you just stivk it in an incense burner and light it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Ok, just ordered some. Two quick questions: 1) is it only used to dispel obstructors, or is it also used as offering to wrathful yidams? 2) also, do you need to burn it on charchol or somethinng or can you just stivk it in an incense burner and light it?

Need charcoal -- will not burn on its own.

However you can get gugul essential oil, and use in an aromatherapy kit
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Ok, just ordered some. Two quick questions: 1) is it only used to dispel obstructors, or is it also used as offering to wrathful yidams? 2) also, do you need to burn it on charchol or somethinng or can you just stivk it in an incense burner and light it?
In the tradition I follow we use it as a Dharmapala offering as well. Burn small pieces on charcoal. It tends to be quite gummy and does not burn well. If you put big pieces on, it burns the crap out of the part that makes contact producing a lot of evil smelling smoke while the top part remains unburnt.

DO NOT burn it in an incense burner that you use for sur or sang offerings as Preta are driven away by the smell and cannot benefit from the offering. Use a seperate incense burner.

You can also use it to purify your kapala. If you smoke the hell out of the inside of the kapala it impregnates it, and since guggul is a natural fungicide, your rakta/men offerings won't go mouldy.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Cool, thanks gentlemen!

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”