Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 1577
The avatara is Satya Sai Baba, here is what Sravasti Dhammika wrote in His remembrance
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/04/passing-of-sai-baba.html

_________________
svaha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Posts: 2755
You understand he's really saying the guy is bunk, don't you?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 5771
Aemilius wrote:
The avatara is Satya Sai Baba, here is what Sravasti Dhammika wrote in His remembrance
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/04/passing-of-sai-baba.html


Impossible. Satya Sai was on the record with a prediction that he'd die at age 96 and remain healthy and youthful until that time (see the book Redemptive Encounters for this one).

If it's true that he's gone, may he speedily find a fortunate rebirth in a Buddhist family.

_________________
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 1577
Dechen Norbu wrote:
You understand he's really saying the guy is bunk, don't you?


I take with a sense of humour, how else could he say it and be a proper theravada monk?

_________________
svaha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Posts: 2755
Not lying is part of the Vinaya, you see...
He said it quite politely.

If you want to know a little better who that man really was, check: http://www.rickross.com/groups/saibaba.html

Simply put, I think the guy was fraud and a criminal. Feel free to disagree, but if you read the information in the site above, I think you'll change your mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a great fraud dies
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1953
Avataras are real and rare. SSB was not one.

I admired him & his teachings (from afar) for a few years. Then long-time young male disciples began to fade away, after experiencing SSB groping them or one of their friends. There were too many honest ex-disciples telling similar tales, of not only his craving for young males, but his fake "miracles".

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 1577
Dechen Norbu wrote:
Not lying is part of the Vinaya, you see...
He said it quite politely.

If you want to know a little better who that man really was, check: http://www.rickross.com/groups/saibaba.html

Simply put, I think the guy was fraud and a criminal. Feel free to disagree, but if you read the information in the site above, I think you'll change your mind.



Í've known some people who met and saw Satya Sai Baba in early 1970's, he wasn't then such a big thing yet, as he was when Ven. Dhammika saw him. Seeing him has changed people's lives permanently.

I have heard these kind of accusations and rumours. If You yourself happen to attain any kind of even minor siddhis you will know how the thing is, what will actually take place. It is beyond your wildest nightmares what people are like then, what they are prepared to do, how much effort they will spend actually doing it !!

In buddhism the two major disciples, Maudgalyayana and Shariputra, were both murdered. This isn't well known, but it is there in the canonical scriptures, and there is some oral tradition about it too. I think it is quite certain that the Great Maudgalyayana was murdered by "honest citizens", not by robbers as the polished canonical story goes. Miraculous incidents cause powerfull negative effects, & negative behaviour, in the human society.
Both of them were murdered while Tathagata Shakyamuni was still alive. There is a sutta that describes the situation of Sangha seeing Tathagata face to face after His two chief disciples are gone.

_________________
svaha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a great fraud dies
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 1577
Will wrote:
Avataras are real and rare. SSB was not one.

I admired him & his teachings (from afar) for a few years. Then long-time young male disciples began to fade away, after experiencing SSB groping them or one of their friends. There were too many honest ex-disciples telling similar tales, of not only his craving for young males, but his fake "miracles".


I think wikipedia article is balánced and close to truth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba

_________________
svaha


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group