Ojas

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
rai

Ojas

Post by rai »

I read on some Ayurveda forum that the best way to restore ojas is to restrain from sex for some time or have a longer breaks between. Is that correct according to Tibetan Medicine? I believe there is substitute to ojas in TM?

Thank you
Malcolm

Re: Ojas

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:I read on some Ayurveda forum that the best way to restore ojas is to restrain from sex for some time or have a longer breaks between. Is that correct according to Tibetan Medicine? I believe there is substitute to ojas in TM?

Thank you

Yes, that is correct. Actually, there is more to it than that. Ojas is the final product of digesting food. So, for this reason one needs to periodically do cleanses, and engage in the practice of rasāyana. This is more effective than mere celibacy because you are cleansing the digestive channels and tract, increasing your ability to absorb rasa, the broken down food, and then having a fairly pure diet where one is mainly relying on essence foods such as ghee and honey, with a sattvic diet.

The whole point of Ayurveda and Tibetan Medicine is to refine and purify ojas in the body for longevity etc. In Tibetan the term ojas is translated as "mdangs".
rai

Post by rai »

Thank you Namdrol. Could you please advise any good literature in english to learn more about this subject?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:Thank you Namdrol. Could you please advise any good literature in english to learn more about this subject?

There really is not much on this in English, or even in Sanskrit or Tibetan.
rai

Post by rai »

what period of celibacy would make a difference in rebuilding the ojas for someone who had a draining lifestyle for some time? (i know nothing about rasayana but will try to imporve my diet).

how long breaks between sexual intercourses are advisable for maintaining good health? is it the general rule - the less sex the better?

Thank you!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:what period of celibacy would make a difference in rebuilding the ojas for someone who had a draining lifestyle for some time? (i know nothing about rasayana but will try to imporve my diet).

how long breaks between sexual intercourses are advisable for maintaining good health? is it the general rule - the less sex the better?

Thank you!

Yes -- here is a general guideline for men. Though this has changed a bit with modern diet and availability of foods around the seasons from all over the world, there are still some trends we can observe -- when it is hot, we tend to eat much lighter and lighter, less nutritious food, and when it is cold, we eat heavier, oilier, more nutritious food. When people ate according to the cycle of the year, this was much more pronounced. Therefore, in the winter months, when it is cold and one is eating a lot of heavy food, one can ejaculate as much as five times a day with no health problem. As one moves through spring, this reduces to every two days, and finally in summer only every two weeks. When one starts to increase one's intake of nutritious foods in the fall through harvest and slaughter season (which happens in late fall in Tibet), then one can increase to every other day.

Now, if someone is depleted, they should not have sex because in this case, as in summer, one loses a little ojas with ejaculation. If one is healthy, winter time, eating well, etc., there is no danger of losing ojas because one has excess.

While women do not have the same issue -- menstruation can be a cause of depleting ojas if they are not careful with their diet.

Ojas is mainly depleted by stress. A lot of autoimmune disorders come from depleted ojas because of modern lifestyle.

B
rai

Post by rai »

I've just read this on Lama Zopa website, about the sexual intercourse: "Besides this, it is one of the greatest disturbances and barriers to opening the chakras and to gaining control over the winds—it causes us lose the pure ability or power of the body and therefore the mind. Being situated in the body, the mind is therefore dependent on it. This is like pouring water into cloth that can’t retain it. From the Mahayana tantric yoga practice point of view sexual intercourse is the worst disturbance." http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect ... 6&chid=381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it connected to loosing the Ojas when ejaculates? Any comment on it would be very appreciated.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:
rai wrote:I read on some Ayurveda forum that the best way to restore ojas is to restrain from sex for some time or have a longer breaks between. Is that correct according to Tibetan Medicine? I believe there is substitute to ojas in TM?

Thank you

Yes, that is correct. Actually, there is more to it than that. Ojas is the final product of digesting food. So, for this reason one needs to periodically do cleanses, and engage in the practice of rasāyana".
Hey Namdrol,
What kinds of cleanses are prescribed by TM?
Are specific details on how to carry them out available?
thanks
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:I've just read this on Lama Zopa website, about the sexual intercourse: "Besides this, it is one of the greatest disturbances and barriers to opening the chakras and to gaining control over the winds—it causes us lose the pure ability or power of the body and therefore the mind. Being situated in the body, the mind is therefore dependent on it. This is like pouring water into cloth that can’t retain it. From the Mahayana tantric yoga practice point of view sexual intercourse is the worst disturbance." http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect ... 6&chid=381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it connected to loosing the Ojas when ejaculates? Any comment on it would be very appreciated.

This is the view of a monk. This is not a tantric view.

He is asserting that sex disturbs the winds in the body. It can, but only if too much.

No need to pay attention to this unless you are a student of Lama Zopa's.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Thank you

Yes, that is correct. Actually, there is more to it than that. Ojas is the final product of digesting food. So, for this reason one needs to periodically do cleanses, and engage in the practice of rasāyana".
Hey Namdrol,
What kinds of cleanses are prescribed by TM?
Are specific details on how to carry them out available?
thanks
I like the colorado cleanse.

It is every effective, has excellent herbs and can be adapted to many people's needs.

N
Josef

Post by Josef »

Thanks.
i'll check it out.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
rai

Post by rai »

Dear Namdrol,

Would practices like Yantra Yoga or other yogas have any beneficial influence on increasing or maintaining the Ojas? is there any connection?

Thank you again!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:Dear Namdrol,

Would practices like Yantra Yoga or other yogas have any beneficial influence on increasing or maintaining the Ojas? is there any connection?

Thank you again!

Yes, for maintaing very important.
rai

Post by rai »

Maybe this is stupid question but is there any connection between Ojas and Lungta?

Thank you!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:Maybe this is stupid question but is there any connection between Ojas and Lungta?

Thank you!
Not directly.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol, in TM is ashwagandha also considered a helpful herb to rebuild ojas?

I've never had a Tibetan doctor tell me to fast/cleanse--- I've had them tell me many other things.. once I was told to definitely not have sex or drink alcohol when I was very depleted and couldn't digest food well. Is there a recommended season to do a cleanse from TM POV? And would you want to be in prime good health before attempting this? Is there a Tibetan version of a cleanse, rather than the "colorado cleanse" Is it good for anyone to do on a regular basis, or is there some sign that indicates you really need to do it...
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:Namdrol, in TM is ashwagandha also considered a helpful herb to rebuild ojas?

I've never had a Tibetan doctor tell me to fast/cleanse--- I've had them tell me many other things.. once I was told to definitely not have sex or drink alcohol when I was very depleted and couldn't digest food well. Is there a recommended season to do a cleanse from TM POV? And would you want to be in prime good health before attempting this? Is there a Tibetan version of a cleanse, rather than the "colorado cleanse" Is it good for anyone to do on a regular basis, or is there some sign that indicates you really need to do it...
Seasonal cleanses are recommended in the rgyud bzhi. But the Tibetans do not have the custom even though it is taught in the textbooks of Tibetan medicine.

The reason I recommend the colorado cleanse is that it is based on very sound Ayurvedic principles, and it is the one I personally use. The week long cleanse in the rgyud bzhi is fine, very simple, but, in my opinion, is a little too simple. It is for a time when people were less toxified in general.

Everyone, across the board, who is in reasonable good health, should so a cleanse in the spring and in the fall. Ayruvedic practitioners time it with two festivals, one that occurs in April, another than occurs in October. So that is when I do it to.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Namdrol, in TM is ashwagandha also considered a helpful herb to rebuild ojas?

Seasonal cleanses are recommended in the rgyud bzhi. But the Tibetans do not have the custom even though it is taught in the textbooks of Tibetan medicine.

The reason I recommend the colorado cleanse is that it is based on very sound Ayurvedic principles, and it is the one I personally use. The week long cleanse in the rgyud bzhi is fine, very simple, but, in my opinion, is a little too simple. It is for a time when people were less toxified in general.

Everyone, across the board, who is in reasonable good health, should so a cleanse in the spring and in the fall. Ayruvedic practitioners time it with two festivals, one that occurs in April, another than occurs in October. So that is when I do it to.
Great, thanks Namdrol! When is the festival in October? Maybe I will try then too.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Is there a place online where one can find how to do it or does one need to buy dr. Bouillard's book? It sounds interesting.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:Is there a place online where one can find how to do it or does one need to buy dr. Bouillard's book? It sounds interesting.
you can buy it at lifespa.com

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”