EU to Ban Herbal Medicines

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

EU to Ban Herbal Medicines

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:10 am

In 3 days, the EU will ban much of herbal medicine, pressing more of us to take pharmaceutical drugs that drive the profits of big Pharma.

The EU Directive erects high barriers to any herbal remedy that hasn't been on the market for 30 years -- including virtually all Chinese, Ayurvedic, and African traditional medicine. It's a draconian move that helps drug companies and ignores thousands of years of medical knowledge.

We need a massive outcry against this. Together, our voices can press the EU Commission to fix the directive, push our national governments to refuse to implement it, and give legitimacy to a legal case before the courts. Sign on the right, then forward this campaign to everyone, and let's get to 1 million voices to save herbal medicine:

To sign the petition follow this link
http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_herbal_medic ... 785&v=8982
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Re: EU to Ban Herbal Medicines

Postby Caz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 am

They will ban it regardless of how many people cry out. The EU never have listened to the people. :shock:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:45 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:In 3 days, the EU will ban much of herbal medicine, pressing more of us to take pharmaceutical drugs that drive the profits of big Pharma.

The EU Directive erects high barriers to any herbal remedy that hasn't been on the market for 30 years -- including virtually all Chinese, Ayurvedic, and African traditional medicine. It's a draconian move that helps drug companies and ignores thousands of years of medical knowledge.

We need a massive outcry against this. Together, our voices can press the EU Commission to fix the directive, push our national governments to refuse to implement it, and give legitimacy to a legal case before the courts. Sign on the right, then forward this campaign to everyone, and let's get to 1 million voices to save herbal medicine:

Educate yourself -- grow your own, learn how to diagnose diseases, especially chronic diseases. I have been thinking about a conversation we had sometime ago. There is no hope at all in States. So, we must resist Leviathan. Becoming self-sufficient in terms of medicine and food is the first step.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Namdrol wrote:Educate yourself -- grow your own, learn how to diagnose diseases, especially chronic diseases. I have been thinking about a conversation we had sometime ago. There is no hope at all in States. So, we must resist Leviathan. Becoming self-sufficient in terms of medicine and food is the first step.
I already grow and gather most of my herbs. In the market area of the town there are assorted old guys selling bunches of freshly cut medicinal herbs. I have spent some time researching traditional local usage of many plants and have used them medicinally. I wish I had more time to spend with people my parents age, they have an amazing knowledge of local medicinal and edible plants. A twenty minute walk with my mother through my olive groves was an educational experience, she could pick out various edible plants that all looked merely like green leafy grassy plants to me. The problem is not for rural dwellers like myself that can take a short walk in the surrounding hills and mountains and gather whatever they need, the problem is for all the city dwellers, especially as go further into northern Europe where the climate is not conducive to the growth of many herbs. And then of course there are medicinal plants that have to be imported.

Now I am not sure if the bans are only on pre-prepared herbal pills and medicines, many of which are prepared by large pharmaceutical companies anyway, or on the herbs themselves. The good thing about a disorganised and corrupt place like Greece is that it is easy to flout and bypass European laws AND many times the Greek state refuses to or is incapable of enforcing those laws anyway. :smile:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:16 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Educate yourself -- grow your own, learn how to diagnose diseases, especially chronic diseases. I have been thinking about a conversation we had sometime ago. There is no hope at all in States. So, we must resist Leviathan. Becoming self-sufficient in terms of medicine and food is the first step.
I already grow and gather most of my herbs. In the market area of the town there are assorted old guys selling bunches of freshly cut medicinal herbs. I have spent some time researching traditional local usage of many plants and have used them medicinally. I wish I had more time to spend with people my parents age, they have an amazing knowledge of local medicinal and edible plants. A twenty minute walk with my mother through my olive groves was an educational experience, she could pick out various edible plants that all looked merely like green leafy grassy plants to me. The problem is not for rural dwellers like myself that can take a short walk in the surrounding hills and mountains and gather whatever they need, the problem is for all the city dwellers, especially as go further into northern Europe where the climate is not conducive to the growth of many herbs. And then of course there are medicinal plants that have to be imported.

Now I am not sure if the bans are only on pre-prepared herbal pills and medicines, many of which are prepared by large pharmaceutical companies anyway, or on the herbs themselves. The good thing about a disorganised and corrupt place like Greece is that it is easy to flout and bypass European laws AND many times the Greek state refuses to or is incapable of enforcing those laws anyway. :smile:

Well, it is easier to get seeds and grow things than import whole plants.

You should make a project, document their knowledge.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Namdrol wrote:Well, it is easier to get seeds and grow things than import whole plants.
This is true but, unfortunately, some plants can only be grown from live cuttings. The other proble with seeds is that you are never guaranteed that they are going to be viable. Of the fifty or so Syrian Rue seeds I put down this spring I only got one seedling! (for example).

There has already been a (whole) book produced on the indigenous medicinal and decorative plants (just) of Lesbos. I have also seen a fantastic book on mushrooms and funghi (we go mushroom picking here during late fall-early winter), but I have not seen one on edible plants and greens (of which there is an incredible variety). It's a good idea for a project. Now all I need is the time and money! :tongue:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Namdrol wrote:Well, it is easier to get seeds and grow things than import whole plants.
This is true but, unfortunately, some plants can only be grown from live cuttings. The other proble with seeds is that you are never guaranteed that they are going to be viable. Of the fifty or so Syrian Rue seeds I put down this spring I only got one seedling! (for example).

There has already been a (whole) book produced on the indigenous medicinal and decorative plants (just) of Lesbos. I have also seen a fantastic book on mushrooms and funghi (we go mushroom picking here during late fall-early winter), but I have not seen one on edible plants and greens (of which there is an incredible variety). It's a good idea for a project. Now all I need is the time and money! :tongue:
PS And remember to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart as you smash the state!
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:00 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:PS And remember to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart as you smash the state!

I don't think smashing is going to do much good. Collective disengagement is more effective, I am thinking. And more conducive to singing and dancing.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:10 pm

This is part of a global plan. But I have serious doubts it will really be enforced. The market for herbals and supplements is HUGE. Even cops use the stuff. No one leaves money on the table. Big Herbal will come back swinging, you can count on it.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 pm

adinatha wrote:This is part of a global plan. But I have serious doubts it will really be enforced. The market for herbals and supplements is HUGE. Even cops use the stuff. No one leaves money on the table. Big Herbal will come back swinging, you can count on it.

Big Herbal, in my opinion as a doctor of Tibetan Medicine, is just another phace of Big Pharma.

Resist, my brothers and sisters.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Here is where we really need to get the view which is the spontaneous accomplishment of all successes.
Pristine awareness cannot be conceived as an object:
the objective field has always been self-sprung awareness,
and awareness cannot take awareness as an object.

Your true nature is beyond the reach of deprivation, and is the total accomplishment of all accomplishments. At this very moment, in you, all success has succeeded any new benefit. Averring your mind to polemical risk assessments generates the cause of their fruition. What this means in your "real world," is you can dodge this bullet easily. Relax. It's all good. This method beyond doing or abandoning is something I have used to get lots and lots of cash. Okay? I'm not bullshitting around here. I can and will put my money, my blood and my balls on the line for this here.
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Malcolm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:09 pm

adinatha wrote:Averring your mind to polemical risk assessments generates the cause of their fruition.

Not worried about myself. It is others who I care about. We cannot use Dzogchen teachings to be indifferent, I think you will agree.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:09 pm

adinatha wrote:Relax. It's all good.
If you can say this when the corporate thugs are coming after you personally then I will believe that you mean it, until then...
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
adinatha wrote:Relax. It's all good.
If you can say this when the corporate thugs are coming after you personally then I will believe that you mean it, until then...

You have no idea what I've done when thugs and cops have come after me. I'm from Oakland, CALIFORNIA young blood. Kids get arrested for writing on their elementary school desks where I"m from. When I say I put my life on the line for this. I'm a GANGSTA! But I'm so cool... That's how you do it... Did it, done it. I gets it done, young loved ones. If I see a killer in lockup, I throw him a mean mug. If I see the judge; I make an offer and be OUT! GAME recognize GAME! The naturally spontaneous creativity of the timeless moment tells you where to cut when the cops smash that GAS. Keep your eyes open baby, I'm not playin'. I'm just playin' my position in this ugly game. If they put a bullet in me, I know where my mind is. They have this body, but they can't have this mind... That's on my lineage, masters...
CAW!
adinatha

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Namdrol wrote:
adinatha wrote:Averring your mind to polemical risk assessments generates the cause of their fruition.

Not worried about myself. It is others who I care about. We cannot use Dzogchen teachings to be indifferent, I think you will agree.

N

Shake awake! Shake awake! Shake awake! This is samsara resistance is futile we are all going to die...
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Madeliaette » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I have signed. I have to count out 7 tablets every morning for my father and this has made me contemplate the situation and make personal decisions. ( :soapbox: Many people of my dad's age rely on Western tablets to keep their body's alive, but have problems with side effects. Not having a fear of death, I refuse to get to such a stage in life. If I can find a natural, herbal, safe remedy, I will use it, but if not, I will accept my body is worn out and move on. I would accept Ayurvedic or Tibetan treatment, but not Western modern medicine. So, for me, this is something I support and sign. End of :soapbox: )
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 pm

adinatha wrote:Shake awake! Shake awake! Shake awake! This is samsara resistance is futile we are all going to die...
This sounds a lot like the type of resigned fatalism that could lead to complete inaction (a la Hinduism).
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm

To give you an idea of how funny all this sh!t is to me...

Yesterday on the morning radio show they were having people call in to talk about their annoying co-workers. People were calling in about the guy who spits when he talks or the lady with bad breath. Then, this hooker called up and complained about this "trick on the other side of the strip is taking all my tricks charging $10 less." I was rolling. :rolling: Seriously though, this is just Earth.

Okay, one thing as dharma people struggling with everything is to accumulate merits. Wisdom! Offer tormas, think of your guru with love, love everyone you see, be happy when people are happy, sympathize when people are sad, do tsok once a week. Confess all your sins in guru yoga. Do Vajrasattva purification. You will see. You can dodge all this with magic. I SWEAR!
CAW!
adinatha

Postby adinatha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:45 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
adinatha wrote:Shake awake! Shake awake! Shake awake! This is samsara resistance is futile we are all going to die...
This sounds a lot like the type of resigned fatalism that could lead to complete inaction (a la Hinduism).

o boy... Hindus don't have the view or the wisdom of interdependence. The view is interdependent with SUCCESS! MONEY! POWER! SEX! AND VITAMINS!!!!!!!
CAW!
adinatha

Postby Enochian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:In 3 days, the EU will ban much of herbal medicine, pressing more of us to take pharmaceutical drugs that drive the profits of big Pharma.

HI Greg,

Now do you see why socialism sucks?
There is an ever-present freedom from grasping the mind.

Mind being defined as the thing always on the Three Times.
Enochian

Next

Return to News & Current Events