Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

Postby Astus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Tibetan encyclopedia provides evidence of ancient brain surgery

"Brain surgery was practiced by doctors at least 2,900 years ago, a specialist on Tibetan culture and literature said Wednesday after four decades of research on the Tibetan Tripitaka, an ancient encyclopedia."

Does anyone have some background information about the reliability of this claim?
"If the Buddha-Nature is seen, there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing."
(Nirvana Sutra, T12n374p521b3; tr Yamamoto)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

Postby Malcolm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Astus wrote:Tibetan encyclopedia provides evidence of ancient brain surgery

"Brain surgery was practiced by doctors at least 2,900 years ago, a specialist on Tibetan culture and literature said Wednesday after four decades of research on the Tibetan Tripitaka, an ancient encyclopedia."

Does anyone have some background information about the reliability of this claim?



This is quite a misleading heading -- the brain surgery in question would have been in Ancient India.

There is a tradition of surgery in Ayurveda.

N
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


The very meaning of the Tibetan term Dzogchen, "Great Perfection," refers to the true primordial state of every individual and not to any transcendent reality.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 15248
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

Postby kirtu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Namdrol wrote:
Astus wrote:Tibetan encyclopedia provides evidence of ancient brain surgery

"Brain surgery was practiced by doctors at least 2,900 years ago, a specialist on Tibetan culture and literature said Wednesday after four decades of research on the Tibetan Tripitaka, an ancient encyclopedia."

Does anyone have some background information about the reliability of this claim?



This is quite a misleading heading -- the brain surgery in question would have been in Ancient India.

There is a tradition of surgery in Ayurveda.


But none exists in traditional Chinese medicine or it was lost. So the Maya, Aztecs, maybe Incas and Indians had surgery?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"The way to solve problems in your life is to open your heart to others and think differently."
Lama Zopa Rinpoche

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

Postby Indrajala » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 pm

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Astus wrote:Tibetan encyclopedia provides evidence of ancient brain surgery

"Brain surgery was practiced by doctors at least 2,900 years ago, a specialist on Tibetan culture and literature said Wednesday after four decades of research on the Tibetan Tripitaka, an ancient encyclopedia."

Does anyone have some background information about the reliability of this claim?



This is quite a misleading heading -- the brain surgery in question would have been in Ancient India.

There is a tradition of surgery in Ayurveda.


But none exists in traditional Chinese medicine or it was lost. So the Maya, Aztecs, maybe Incas and Indians had surgery?

Kirt


Egypt did surgeries in ancient times, too. They had surgical operations for brain tumours.
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 6229
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Brain Surgery in Ancient Tibet

Postby Malcolm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 pm

kirtu wrote:
But none exists in traditional Chinese medicine or it was lost. So the Maya, Aztecs, maybe Incas and Indians had surgery?

Kirt



Never existed.
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


The very meaning of the Tibetan term Dzogchen, "Great Perfection," refers to the true primordial state of every individual and not to any transcendent reality.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 15248
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am


Return to News & Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adder, Dan74, deff, WoodsyLadyM and 6 guests

>