Exploring Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
moksha

Exploring Buddhism

Post by moksha »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, as you can probably tell from my post count [I wanted my name to be with a capital letter though, can a mod please change?]! The reason I'm starting this thread is to get everyone's feelings about whether Buddhism is an accurate path for me. This is probably a very tired topic here but still, I'd like to address it. You can then veto it, reallocate it or.. anything else as you see fit. I will tell you a little bit about myself and we can go from there.

I was brought up in a very religious school. It was actually quite an unusual school and fused many religions into one melting pot... but mostly focused on Hinduism and Christianity. We read the Bible regularly and the Upanishads, the Mahabharata and the Bhagavad Gita. As a result, since then I have always followed the Hindu philosophy more than the Christian one. I agree with the Hindu concepts of reincarnation, of the Brahman but not of multiple deities. I suppose one of the reasons why I question Hinduism these days is that I don't agree with the idea of regular worship as such. Christianity just seems too 'hardline' with me and doesn't resonate with me so much and I feel now is the right time to seriously follow a path but Hinduism doesn't feel completely right. The other Hindu doctrines which I've always agreed with are those of samsara, sancita, karma, maya etc. I was very surprised to find these are part of the Buddhist faith too - only because I had never looked into Buddhism. I read Sanskrit from a very early age so the script is second nature to me [though the vocabulary/sutra is another thing!]

However, over the last few years, I have had a fascination with Chinese music and culture. I planned a trip over there this year but in a way I'm glad I didn't go because I didn't know what I going FOR yet. There is something about the place which resonates with me [there's that word again]. I have been looking into Taoism recently but so far from my understanding of it.... Taoism seems too 'fluffy' since I still hold a belief in a God [is the existence of a god completely ruled out in Buddhism?]. So basically I want to explore this more. Based on what I have said, do my beliefs or areas of interest hold any water with Buddhism?

EDIT: Oh, and if someone could recommend me some classical texts that would be very much appreciated.
rose
Site Admin

Re: Exploring Buddhism

Post by rose »

moksha wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new here, as you can probably tell from my post count [I wanted my name to be with a capital letter though, can a mod please change?]! ...
Hi Moksha,

In regard to your user ID being changed please PM an Administrator with your request, Moderators are not able to make such changes.

Regards,
rt
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

HI moksha,

I think you may find Buddhism suitable to you. I think these are two solid introductory books:

Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition by Paul Williams
Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations by Paul Williams
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
moksha

Post by moksha »

Excellent, and thanks for the recommendations mr. gordo.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

I wonder what happened to my post? I posted last night in this thread and now my post and the post of another persons is gone. They were both here earlier in the day.
:namaste:
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Kyosan wrote:I wonder what happened to my post? I posted last night in this thread and now my post and the post of another persons is gone. They were both here earlier in the day.
Hi Kyosan,

I've split the thread here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

Hi mr. gordo,

Thanks for letting me know. I agree that it makes sense for this to be a topic in itself.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”