Total financial collapse

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Total financial collapse

Postby kirtu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:54 pm

So I have unfortunately been unemployed for an extended period now, full-time or additional part-time work has not materialized, tutoring does not bring in more than $500-$600 per month on average, my unemployment benefits are running out, and now my income tax return is far less than I expected.

So paradoxically I am thinking about moving to India or Nepal for a year. I'm hoping that I can survive on $6/day. Is this reasonable? How much would it really cost to live in Dharmsala, Kathmandhu, or Pokara for 1 year? Looking at the Lonely Traveler estimates it looks like one could get by on $6/day. Is this actually reasonable?

I was also reading that one could still get an apartment in Cheng Mai Thailand for $30 a MONTH! And probably eat on $2-$3 a day. That is even less expensive.

Living in Honduras has also been mentioned and apartment rental costs seem to be okay.

BTW - the intention is to trade my remaining money for time. In the year at some very inexpensive location I would bring two software projects that I have been working on to fruition (one of which is an extension of a former General Dymanics project that I wrote for them - so I know that this has some commercial potential - after I left this project they closed the project down after 1 year but were never able to extend what I had done). So it's not like I'll be just going off without a goal. It is a gamble but it could keep me from homelessness in the US.


Thanks!

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby adinatha » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

You could do it for a little less if you don't travel.
CAW!
User avatar
adinatha
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby kirtu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm

adinatha wrote:You could do it for a little less if you don't travel.


Once I'm there I won't travel. So it does sound reasonable to you (this low a cost of living)?

Actually I'm reading that $30/month in Chang Mai is not really reasonable (more like $150-$300/month). Also $6/day in Nepal or India may be doable but is totally a backpacker thing and thus may not be conducive even for personal software development projects.

I had read apartment prices in Dharmsala for $200/month though.

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Mr. G » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Ever think about being an ESL teacher to save up for your trip Kirt? If you've got a BA, you can get a CELTA certification and I hear there is decent money to be made in China, Korea, etc. For a couple of months work, you could save up enough to live comfortably for a while in Nepal or India.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby kirtu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Ever think about being an ESL teacher to save up for your trip Kirt? If you've got a BA, you can get a CELTA certification and I hear there is decent money to be made in China, Korea, etc. For a couple of months work, you could save up enough to live comfortably for a while in Nepal or India.


Thanks Mr. Gordo - I have an MS in computer science and a BA in mathematics. However I'm over 45 and am thus generally unemployable in the US (at least last year this was true and neither phone calls nor emails are coming in). However last time I looked ESL certification costed about $2000-$3000. That exhausts what little I have lfet.

The other thing is that I hear one can make money in China and Korea as well teaching English. But I also hear horror stories.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Mr. G » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm

The state may assist in paying for the certification if you were interested...I haven't looked into that though.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby zengammon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 am

Hi kirtu,

In my personal experience, and only that, intuitive clarity about your own personal journey is more important than considering what is "reasonable." Looking back at my difficult period, none of my choices were "reasonable". But, from here, it's also now clear that there was no other way I could have gotten to where I was going, where I personally needed to go.

Fear is a huge factor for most people, especially if they've always existed within the mainstream bubble. But fear only obscures; it doesn't provide clarity.

I'm not suggesting radical action. I'm not suggesting anything--except that society's idea of "reasonable" has little to do with one's personal journey. Once you know what you have to do, you just do it, and whatever happens, happens. If your choice is "reasonable" that's just a bonus.

best of luck to you,

John
zengammon
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Seoul, Korea. Sometimes California

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Indrajala » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:43 am

kirtu wrote:So paradoxically I am thinking about moving to India or Nepal for a year. I'm hoping that I can survive on $6/day. Is this reasonable? How much would it really cost to live in Dharmsala, Kathmandhu, or Pokara for 1 year? Looking at the Lonely Traveler estimates it looks like one could get by on $6/day. Is this actually reasonable?


It is reasonable. The per capita income in India is $1,265. In Nepal it is $522. Kathmandu is a bit of a different world, though. I think if you did your own cooking it would be a dollar a day or less for food costs. You just have to know how to haggle. In India I usually spent around 100 rupees on a meal eating out which is about US$2.25, but that was clean sit-down restaurants. You can get much cheaper meals, but it won't be clean food.

I personally found Nepal easier than India. Much cleaner on the whole and people were friendlier. India has sanitation problems. If you go to Kathmandu stay in the Boudha area and not Thammel. Boudha is where the stupa and Tibetan community are. If need be I can put you in touch with my friend who lives there. He can help you find good accommodation.

One problem with Kathmandu is you don't have 24/7 electricity unless you are in a building with a generator.


BTW - the intention is to trade my remaining money for time. In the year at some very inexpensive location I would bring two software projects that I have been working on to fruition (one of which is an extension of a former General Dymanics project that I wrote for them - so I know that this has some commercial potential - after I left this project they closed the project down after 1 year but were never able to extend what I had done). So it's not like I'll be just going off without a goal. It is a gamble but it could keep me from homelessness in the US.


Have you thought about looking for work in Asia? Someone with your knowledge and experience could possibly find quality employment here. Not Japan so much, but places like Singapore, Kuala Lampur or Hong Kong where the economies are growing. I know one couple who showed up in Singapore and found jobs in a few days. You might consider looking at international job websites. As a native speaker of English you can even be hired to do proof reading and consulting for technical writing.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby adinatha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 am

Anyone know is it possible to transfer funds to a bank in Kathmandu?
CAW!
User avatar
adinatha
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Indrajala » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 am

adinatha wrote:Anyone know is it possible to transfer funds to a bank in Kathmandu?


They following standard banking procedures and ATMs there accept foreign cards. My friend has received money from the UK. They also have remittance services because so many Nepalese go abroad for work.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
User avatar
Indrajala
 
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:13 am

kirtu wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:The other thing is that I hear one can make money in China and Korea as well teaching English. But I also hear horror stories.

Kirt


Kirt,

I used to teach ESL in Korea and would recommend it, on the whole. One of the more rewarding jobs I've had,actually -- learning English is highly valued there and people appreciate what you do. The money can be pretty good, especially if you do private lessons on the side.

There are some unscrupulous operators, of course -- so if you explore this route, you'll want to do some research into the school or organization that might be hiring you. I wouldn't be put off, though; "horror stories" can be found in any walk of life.

You'd be around some great Buddhist temples, too...


Rob
User avatar
Lazy_eye
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 am
Location: Laurel, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby ram peswani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 am

kirtu wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:Ever think about being an ESL teacher to save up for your trip Kirt? If you've got a BA, you can get a CELTA certification and I hear there is decent money to be made in China, Korea, etc. For a couple of months work, you could save up enough to live comfortably for a while in Nepal or India.


Thanks Mr. Gordo - I have an MS in computer science and a BA in mathematics. However I'm over 45 and am thus generally unemployable in the US (at least last year this was true and neither phone calls nor emails are coming in). However last time I looked ESL certification costed about $2000-$3000. That exhausts what little I have lfet.

The other thing is that I hear one can make money in China and Korea as well teaching English. But I also hear horror stories.

Kirt



For your qualification India has lots of vacancies in Bombay, Poona, Banglore, Delhi at minimum of Rs 40000/- per month. Not only you can save, you can also follow your projects. 45 years age is productive age.
ram peswani
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 am

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby kirtu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:35 pm

mr. gordo wrote:The state may assist in paying for the certification if you were interested...I haven't looked into that though.


UPDATE: AH - you meant the CELTA certification. I'm on my first iced chai of the day and my brain is still foggy - I'm mixing up threads, Anyway I'll look into it for sure.

I'll look into it but that was not the case when I was hired at a public high school as a computer science teacher in Washington, DC. There was (and still is) a war against teachers in DC and I was eventually fired in June 2009 by the principal who followed the principal that hired me. This was done on the basis of observations that were manipulated to get rid of me. The exact purpose of firing me wasn't clear. There were always behavior problems in my classes and behavior problems in DC are almost always attributed to the teacher. Students did have a hard time assimilating the material ("Mr. Undercoffer - all we do is work in your class", "The class is hard" - actual comments from students - I didn't like the second one so much but some of our students were not used to hard intellectual work and would prefer to talk all class) but most did successfully finish the course and were able to write computer programs in the language we were teaching (and in the web design class the vast majority of students were able to develop their own web pages and some did so in further classes). However there was a group of students who didn't like me and made class impossible. The class itself was not an AP class but was a college level class (I can assert this because I now tutor graduate and undergraduate students to make ends meet and some of my former students could tutor some of the undergrads I meet).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby kirtu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:43 pm

ram peswani wrote:
For your qualification India has lots of vacancies in Bombay, Poona, Banglore, Delhi at minimum of Rs 40000/- per month. Not only you can save, you can also follow your projects. 45 years age is productive age.


Thanks Ram - but I heard that Indians don't want old (I'm over 45) software engineers and that they would find it difficult to believe that someone from the USA would want to find work in India. I heard that they would dismiss this person outright.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby catmoon » Sun May 08, 2011 10:44 pm

I read somewhere that one of the Medicine Buddhas helps out with prosperity problems. I don't know if you are into MB practice but if you are, it might be something worth looking into.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
User avatar
catmoon
Former staff member
 
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby LastLegend » Mon May 09, 2011 3:00 am

catmoon wrote:I read somewhere that one of the Medicine Buddhas helps out with prosperity problems. I don't know if you are into MB practice but if you are, it might be something worth looking into.


This is true. Recite his name with Faith Sincerity and Respect.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Mr. G » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am

Namkhai Norbu recommends Green Tara for issues like finding a job, and I have confidence in this advice.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Dhondrub » Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

kirtu wrote:So I have unfortunately been unemployed for an extended period now, full-time or additional part-time work has not materialized, tutoring does not bring in more than $500-$600 per month on average, my unemployment benefits are running out, and now my income tax return is far less than I expected.

So paradoxically I am thinking about moving to India or Nepal for a year. I'm hoping that I can survive on $6/day. Is this reasonable? How much would it really cost to live in Dharmsala, Kathmandhu, or Pokara for 1 year? Looking at the Lonely Traveler estimates it looks like one could get by on $6/day. Is this actually reasonable?

I was also reading that one could still get an apartment in Cheng Mai Thailand for $30 a MONTH! And probably eat on $2-$3 a day. That is even less expensive.

Living in Honduras has also been mentioned and apartment rental costs seem to be okay.

BTW - the intention is to trade my remaining money for time. In the year at some very inexpensive location I would bring two software projects that I have been working on to fruition (one of which is an extension of a former General Dymanics project that I wrote for them - so I know that this has some commercial potential - after I left this project they closed the project down after 1 year but were never able to extend what I had done). So it's not like I'll be just going off without a goal. It is a gamble but it could keep me from homelessness in the US.


Thanks!

Kirt



A friend is staying in retreat in Pharping( near Ktm) for the last 6 six years. She lives on 3500 rupees a month. But her living situation is very basic.
If you want to live more comfortable but still humble you`ll need around 30.000 a month ( around 450 dollars).
Last edited by Dhondrub on Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dhondrub
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby Pero » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

mr. gordo wrote:Namkhai Norbu recommends Green Tara for issues like finding a job, and I have confidence in this advice.


And/or Odzer Chenma.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Total financial collapse

Postby ram peswani » Tue May 10, 2011 3:06 am

kirtu wrote:
ram peswani wrote:
For your qualification India has lots of vacancies in Bombay, Poona, Banglore, Delhi at minimum of Rs 40000/- per month. Not only you can save, you can also follow your projects. 45 years age is productive age.


Thanks Ram - but I heard that Indians don't want old (I'm over 45) software engineers and that they would find it difficult to believe that someone from the USA would want to find work in India. I heard that they would dismiss this person outright.

Kirt


My family In pune is associated with software business. Daughter -in -law teaches sap and son builds software parks.
Their reading is that 45 year old software engineer from USA can easily get an offer from Rs. 40000/- to one lakh in India, but no one can give you 100% assurance unless you try it yourself.
ram peswani
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 am

Next

Return to Personal Experience

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

>