Dzogchen teaching of Tsongkhapa

Tsongkhapafan

Re: Dzogchen teaching of Tsongkhapa

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Hayagriva wrote:
Tsongkhapafan wrote:Milarepa said:

You should know what all appearances are the nature of mind,
Mind is the nature of emptiness.

This unites the Madhyamaka and Yogacara views together, which is what is needed to attain enlightenment.
This is very similar to this teaching from Padmasambhava:

Lady Tsogyal asked the master: Are objects and mind a duality?

The master replied:
The objects seen are mind's display.
The many displays are the play of your mind.
And while they are empty in essence,
The objects you see can dissolve and need not be rejected.

Firmly resolve that objects and mind are not two.
Great! Thank you :namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You can dance on books all day,
but don't neglect going out to play;
you can see but you cannot say,
rainbows in space simply fade away.

-- Namdrol
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Namdrol wrote:You can dance on books all day,

-- Namdrol
:twothumbsup: well spoken, and nice to see you by the way
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

-- Namdrol

What???
heart

Post by heart »

-- Namdrol
:smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I got my head torn off for saying the same thing here http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 194#p25250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; funny old thing the mind! :smile:
:namaste:
Last edited by Grigoris on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

I agree it seems clear that Lama Tsongkhapa received Dzogchen instructions from his Nyingma lama. I have never heard that he passed them on.... Conebeck, you say there are indications that he taught Dzogchen, but not publicly... would you care to share those indications with us, please?
Nangwa wrote: Nonsense again.
Read the original texts and you will find that this interpretation is unorthodox at the very least.
That doesn't necessarily diminish its effectiveness for individuals of certain leanings etc. but to assert that it is an absolute goes way too far.
We must be realistic in admitting that there are many different interpretations of these texts, it is not a simple matter of "reading them" and gaining clear certainty, is it? Otherwise why would there be so many respected masters debating the same texts? Orthodoxy is relative to those in whom you impute authority...what is orthodox in Kagyu is unorthodox in Sakya, and so on...

As for whos interpretation of the madhyamaka views is "correct," can't we just say they are different, or function in different ways? Otherwise, I don't see how one could claim the mantle of a non-sectarian view? There are points that may be disputed, but if we try to say one another's views are incorrect, I think we are off the mark by quite a bit.
I was mistaken about the Jigme Lingpa connection with this particular lama.
It is interesting in the context of this discussion to not that Jigme Lingpa himself understood and presented the view from the point of view of Je Tsongkhapa's presentation, so we must accept that the view of Lama Tsongkhapa and the view of Dzogchen are harmonious at very least.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Conebeck, you say there are indications that he taught Dzogchen, but not publicly... would you care to share those indications with us, please?
This came from Karl Brunnholzl, I think....from "Center of the Sunlit Sky," if I recall correctly....but I don't think there's any more information than that in the book itself. You'd have to track down Karl, and see who his sources were.

Cone Beckham
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

conebeckham wrote:
Conebeck, you say there are indications that he taught Dzogchen, but not publicly... would you care to share those indications with us, please?
This came from Karl Brunnholzl, I think....from "Center of the Sunlit Sky," if I recall correctly....but I don't think there's any more information than that in the book itself. You'd have to track down Karl, and see who his sources were.

Cone Beckham

Interesting. As it turns out, I have that book right next to me as I have been reading it and identifying many incorrect statements by Herr B about Je Tsongkhapa's view. It dos not mention in the index where one might find such a comment (one citation of "dzogchen" only), could you clarify?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

cloudburst wrote:
It is interesting in the context of this discussion to not that Jigme Lingpa himself understood and presented the view from the point of view of Je Tsongkhapa's presentation, so we must accept that the view of Lama Tsongkhapa and the view of Dzogchen are harmonious at very least.
You need to qualify this -- Jigme Lingpa presented Prasangika Madhyamaka in terms derived from Tsongkhapa since he was in fact educated with a Gelug yigcha.

While he opined that from an analytical point of view that Dzogchen and Prasangika could be regarded as equivalent in terms of how they presented freedom from proliferation, he clarified that Dzogchen is experiential, whilst prasangika is wholly analytical.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Perhaps when I get home I can look for it...it may have been in another of Brunnholzl's book, now that I think of it though...possibly in his translation of Nagarjuna's "Praise to the Dharmadhatu." In any case, I distinctly recall thinking "hmm, that's interesting, wonder if there's more info....." and searching footnotes, etc., only to find nothing further.

I've never felt the need to bother any Geshe or Khenpo about it, but if you're interested, it would be a good question to ask, eh?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Namdrol wrote:
cloudburst wrote:
You need to qualify this -- Jigme Lingpa presented Prasangika Madhyamaka in terms derived from Tsongkhapa since he was in fact educated with a Gelug yigcha.

While he opined that from an analytical point of view that Dzogchen and Prasangika could be regarded as equivalent in terms of how they presented freedom from proliferation, he clarified that Dzogchen is experiential, whilst prasangika is wholly analytical.
It's an interesting opinion. Often these things just come down to the way you slice the pie. Prasangika is indeed an analytical method, but one could also say that the prasangika methodology produces an experiential understanding. So prasangika was both created from and is productive of experience of the Ultimate.

Jigme Lingpa's presentation of emptiness in Treasury of Precious Qualities is wholly concordant with the presentation of Je Tsongkhapa. Your useage may seem a little unclear, as "derived from" could be taken to mean he came up with terms that were derived as part of a process that began with Gelug yigcha, whereas, and I am sure this is what you mean, the terms he used were taken directly from these yigcha and pressed into service without adulteration.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

conebeckham wrote:Perhaps when I get home I can look for it...it may have been in another of Brunnholzl's book, now that I think of it though...possibly in his translation of Nagarjuna's "Praise to the Dharmadhatu." In any case, I distinctly recall thinking "hmm, that's interesting, wonder if there's more info....." and searching footnotes, etc., only to find nothing further.

I've never felt the need to bother any Geshe or Khenpo about it, but if you're interested, it would be a good question to ask, eh?
I will admit, If I had an opportunity to discuss with a person of learning, this is not high on my list of points of interest.

Just wanted to clarify the extent and/or credibility of these "indication" that Je Rinpoche taught Dzogchen. I am not claiming he did not, as it is notoriously difficult to prove a neagtive, but let's just say that so far, only hearsay supports the conclusion? Are you happy with that?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Sure! :smile:

cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

conebeckham wrote:Sure! :smile:
:smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

cloudburst wrote:
It's an interesting opinion. Often these things just come down to the way you slice the pie. Prasangika is indeed an analytical method, but one could also say that the prasangika methodology produces an experiential understanding. So prasangika was both created from and is productive of experience of the Ultimate.
It is not the same as Dzogchen.

Jigme Lingpa's presentation of emptiness in Treasury of Precious Qualities is wholly concordant with the presentation of Je Tsongkhapa. Your useage may seem a little unclear, as "derived from" could be taken to mean he came up with terms that were derived as part of a process that began with Gelug yigcha, whereas, and I am sure this is what you mean, the terms he used were taken directly from these yigcha and pressed into service without adulteration.
As far as I am concerned, saying that view of Dzogchen and the prasanga view of Tsongkhapa are the same goes too far, is overly simplistic at best. Jigme Lingpa does not go this far at all.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Namdrol wrote:
cloudburst wrote:
It is not the same as Dzogchen.
I, for one, never said it was, nor do I believe it to be.
Namdrol wrote:
cloudburst wrote:
As far as I am concerned, saying that view of Dzogchen and the prasanga view of Tsongkhapa are the same goes too far, is overly simplistic at best. Jigme Lingpa does not go this far at all.
Personally, I agree, and I think if you read what I wrote above you can see I never said that view of Dzogchen is same as prasangika of Tsongkhapa, althogh among those who feel they are same are Dalai Lama and Jamgon Kongtrul the great.

I wonder if you feel that very subtle mind of clear light and view of Dzogchen are same? If not, what is difference?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

cloudburst wrote: I wonder if you feel that very subtle mind of clear light and view of Dzogchen are same? If not, what is difference?
If by "subtle mind of clear light" you mean an "uncontrived momentary awareness" (ma bcos pa shes pa skad cig ma), then the view is similar.

But prasanga can never lead to that so called "subtle mind of clear light" -- it lacks the method.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Namdrol wrote:
cloudburst wrote: I wonder if you feel that very subtle mind of clear light and view of Dzogchen are same? If not, what is difference?
If by "subtle mind of clear light" you mean an "uncontrived momentary awareness" (ma bcos pa shes pa skad cig ma), then the view is similar.

But prasanga can never lead to that so called "subtle mind of clear light" -- it lacks the method.
I suppose I do not know if this is what I mean, as this terminology falls outside my experience. How is this uncontrived momentary awareness different from my moment to moment uncontrived awareness?

I agree, prasangika will not lead to clear light without application of supplementary methods.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

cloudburst wrote: I suppose I do not know if this is what I mean, as this terminology falls outside my experience. How is this uncontrived momentary awareness different from my moment to moment uncontrived awareness?
The difference is summed up nicely by "Parting From The Four Attachments "If grasping arises, it is no the view."

N

Return to “Dzogchen”